Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Brown
(08-19-2018, 12:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: If Brown clearly is better then you take Brown.

If Bullock is better then he should win.

Not at practice so do not know. But in games Brown looks better at everything so far.

Do we save any money to help sign another OL if this move is made ?

Was money ever the issue when it came to fixing the o-line?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just don't like it when Marv says stuff like this, there should always be competition it is what breeds excellence.

Jon Brown is extremely inexperienced though and Fat Randy has done a decent job in his time here. Think Brown will
need another Preseason of kicking FG's to be a starter. He has only kicked like 3 kicks in an NFL game.

But it is nice seeing the guy have such a great leg and he is good insurance it seems in case Fat Randy gets hurt or
something. I just don't ever like a coach saying there is not a competition.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I just don't like it when Marv says stuff like this, there should always be competition it is what breeds excellence.

Jon Brown is extremely inexperienced though and Fat Randy has done a decent job in his time here. Think Brown will
need another Preseason of kicking FG's to be a starter. He has only kicked like 3 kicks in an NFL game.

But it is nice seeing the guy have such a great leg and he is good insurance it seems in case Fat Randy gets hurt or
something. I just don't ever like a coach saying there is not a competition.

Me either. Makes a guy feel like he's locked down the spot. Competition should never end even during regular season. You should always fear losing your job.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:39 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: interesting mine is the opposite view,, we overreact cut Bullock, keep a kicker with really no experience or under real game pressure, Bullock gets picked up by another team and we are stuck with a bad kicker. 

Bullock was great last year with 90% accuracy.  But he is ranked 24th for his all time career average just about 82%.  It would be risky going with Brown with little to no experience in NFL games.  But I like the flight pattern of his kicks.  Randy's flight pattern looks odd to me for some reason.  I guess every kicker has his own flight pattern and kicking style.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I find it quite humorous that JB has not yet kicked in a regular NFL game, and he is being anointed a better kicker than Randy. He has no record. There are a whole lot of under scratch golfers around, ever wonder why they aren't on tour? There's more to it than skill, there is composure under the big tent. Maybe Brown has it, maybe he doesn't. Point is, we don't know.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Bullock was great last year with 90% accuracy.  But he is ranked 24th for his all time career average just about 82%.  It would be risky going with Brown with little to no experience in NFL games.  But I like the flight pattern of his kicks.  Randy's flight pattern looks odd to me for some reason.  I guess every kicker has his own flight pattern and kicking style.  

well my opinion, when i look at a players past performance especially in the NFL, i tend to focus on the last few years to really gauge how they are performing now.  So of the last three seasons, Bullock has made 87 percent of his field goals, the avg in the NFL has been around 84 to 84.5 percent, so i don't see any real issue with him as our kicker and I would not keep Brown over Bullock when i look at what he has done over the last three years compared what Brown might, could offer us.... 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I find it quite humorous that JB has not yet kicked in a regular NFL game, and he is being anointed a better kicker than Randy. He has no record. There are a whole lot of under scratch golfers around, ever wonder why they aren't on tour? There's more to it than skill, there is composure under the big tent. Maybe Brown has it, maybe he doesn't. Point is, we don't know.

im a pretty good putter but i do tend to miss the short ones more often when i have $$ , lunch, beers etc on the line... hmmm
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Me either. Makes a guy feel like he's locked down the spot. Competition should never end even during regular season. You should always fear losing your job.

That is why i like what Pollack says.

(08-19-2018, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I find it quite humorous that JB has not yet kicked in a regular NFL game, and he is being anointed a better kicker than Randy. He has no record. There are a whole lot of under scratch golfers around, ever wonder why they aren't on tour? There's more to it than skill, there is composure under the big tent. Maybe Brown has it, maybe he doesn't. Point is, we don't know.

(08-19-2018, 01:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well my opinion, when i look at a players past performance especially in the NFL, i tend to focus on the last few years to really gauge how they are performing now.  So of the last three seasons, Bullock has made 87 percent of his field goals, the avg in the NFL has been around 84 to 84.5 percent, so i don't see any real issue with him as our kicker and I would not keep Brown over Bullock when i look at what he has done over the last three years compared what Brown might, could offer us.... 

Yeah, Jon Brown is an unknown at this point, we will see, the dude is definately talented.

Could be great, or he could start missing and it could get into his head, the point is we don't know.
Reply/Quote
If I'm Mike Brown, I'm getting as much good tape on Brown as I can, also one of our running backs, and I'm going looking for a team with a decent backup right tackle that needs a kicker and a running back, and then firing #70....
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If I'm Mike Brown, I'm getting as much good tape on Brown as I can, also one of our running backs, and I'm going looking for a team with a decent backup right tackle that needs a kicker and a running back, and then firing #70....

Tra Carson and Brian Hill look really good. Walton not so much.  I think Tra and Brian have a future somewhere.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
How many field goals has Bullock hit from 55 that was a lock for at least 65 yards? None and never will so for Bengals to not allow a kicker competition is very dumb if indeed that is the decision. I am not saying Brown wins, but give him the opportunity or maybe live to regret it.
Tucker is a weapon for the Ravens, I would love for us to have a weapon close to Tucker as Bullock is good, not elite.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Tra Carson and Brian Hill look really good. Walton not so much.  I think Tra and Brian have a future somewhere.  

I was high on Walton, but he is being outplayed big time by Carson and Hill. He better have monster week 3 and week 4 or he should be going to the practice squad, if someone grabs him so be it after last night. He also made another mistake on special teams which he can't do and make this team

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

If you use this thought process, no rookie at any position has played an NFL game so all should be cut. Some fans are just pointing to the fact last year we had a kicking competition, what harm in doing it again and may the best guy win. It appears you are afraid Randy may lose.

BTW, I believe Nugent had great stats when Jets did not keep him and he became a Bengal. Jets were correct on Nugent, good but never great.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Jon Brown is an unknown at this point, we will see, the dude is definately talented.

Could be great, or he could start missing and it could get into his head, the point is we don't know.

I wouldn't worry too much. Once a guy gets owned, he quickly returns to earth.

Reply/Quote
We definitely should always have competition. That wasnt a smart thing for a coach to say.

I dont know what to think about Brown, but the dude has obviously come a very long way in a short period of time. That 55 yard FG and all his kicks have been very impressive. He looks like a pro bowl kicker in two preseason games but reality is that hes still brand new to kicking a football. My gut feeling says this dude is a potential future all pro. My Bengal logic says if we let Bullock go and make Brown the man, he'll end up the next Rackers....
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Tra Carson and Brian Hill look really good. Walton not so much.  I think Tra and Brian have a future somewhere.  

Brian Hill looks faster than i remember him at Wyoming. That sideline run was a thing of beauty, great burst.

Nice TD run at the goal line by Tra. Liked both these backs in college. Walton better show up cause he could be
the one on the outside if he doesn't atleast start to look close to these guys, namely Brian Hill. He is have a very
nice Preseason so far and has ran well against an NFL team in the regular season.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I didn't get to see the FG as NFLN kept cutting away to Mariuchi at the desk.  However, Bengals.com made mention that he missed it the first time, but the officials blew it dead in the air.

It was blown dead well before he kicked it, like kickers do....he took the opportunity for a practice shot.   Some kickers get real peeved when deprived of their practice shot...cough Pittspuke Boswell cough....
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:01 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Because John Brown has already won the job ...  Ninja
This might be the case.  They had Brown here for what, this is the third year, if I'm not mistaken, developing him.  He hits a great ball.  He might be ready.  Maybe Marv is tired of not having a permanent kicker.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 02:38 PM)bengaloo Wrote: We definitely should always have competition. That wasnt a smart thing for a coach to say.

I dont know what to think about Brown, but the dude has obviously come a very long way in a short period of time. That 55 yard FG and all his kicks have been very impressive. He looks like a pro bowl kicker in two preseason games but reality is that hes still brand new to kicking a football. My gut feeling says this dude is a potential future all pro. My Bengal logic says if we let Bullock go and make Brown the man, he'll end up the next Rackers....

I disagree, you dont always need competition at every position for example many bengals have no competition based on their previous performance what you always want to have is a backup plan , so brown is a backup plan, well done bengals for finding brown.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If you use this thought process, no rookie at any position has played an NFL game so all should be cut. Some fans are just pointing to the fact last year we had a kicking competition, what harm in doing it again and may the best guy win. It appears you are afraid Randy may lose.

BTW, I believe Nugent had great stats when Jets did not keep him and he became a Bengal. Jets were correct on Nugent, good but never great.

Not my thought process at all. I'm all for a kicking competition. I was also more in favor of keeping Elliott last year, until Randy won the contest. I'm all about best player. What I'm laughing at is the statement all of a sudden that Brown is better than Bullock, when he hasn't even kicked in a real game yet. 
Reply/Quote