Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Jon Gruden..come to Cincinnati!
(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He would NEVER come to coach for MB and the Bengals Management.

It's laughable to me that people are entertaining this thought.

Man i would love for him to come here and shut you up Pistons.

Never say never brah.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man i would love for him to come here and shut you up Pistons.

Never say never brah.

Hey...he'd be my top pick as a HC too so I'd love it too.

Even if Gruden wanted to come, do you think the Bengals would be willing to shell out the money to get him. He makes $6.5 million a year as a commentator. Do you see MB paying a coach $9-10 million a year?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hey...he'd be my top pick as a HC too so I'd love it too.

Even if Gruden wanted to come, do you think the Bengals would be willing to shell out the money to get him. He makes $6.5 million a year as a commentator. Do you see MB paying a coach $9-10 million a year?

They need to make a statement by hiring someone like Gruden or they will lose their fan base forever.

But Gruden is not coming unless Mike Brown agrees to what every other team would agree- Gruden gets his own staff, scouts and a practice facility and other upgrades as may be needed.

Doing this would probably mean that 10 family members would have to have their salaries frozen for a couple of years so it is not going to happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:38 PM)bengals67 Wrote: They need to make a statement by hiring someone like Gruden or they will lose their fan base forever.

But Gruden is not coming unless Mike Brown agrees to what every other team would agree- Gruden gets his own staff, scouts and a practice facility and other upgrades as may be needed.

Doing this would probably mean that 10 family members would have to have their salaries frozen for a couple of years so it is not going to happen.

It's why Coughlin didn't come.

I think there's like a 90% chance you see one of Guenther or Jackson replace Lewis.

Then, like a 5% change Haslett, Zimmer, Jay Gruden. I'd be thrilled with Jay Gruden by the way.

Then, 5% chance they go outside.
Reply/Quote
Rock On
After what ML has done for this team as far as coaching,actually any HC would be welcome! However Jon Gruden would be my top choice! He's been analizing all those teams in the NFL as sportcaster and would know at least some of the schemes that the those running! He has a Superbowl win under his belt,at least he know's what it takes to be a winner!
Other than that who would want this job?     I know LUKE FICKEL!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: How do you know that's the point he's at?

Oh, I don't know....how much money do you suppose he made in his coaching career? How much money do you think he made doing Monday Night Football??? If he's not at the point in his life where money is not as important as doing what you want, he's got a severe spending problem....
Reply/Quote
I think that would really get us somewhere and pump up the city and players. Seems like fantasy though.gruden is just a smart football mind. He also got screwed by the refs by the tuck rule or he probably could of had another ring.
Reply/Quote
I heard but I don't know that the natives in Cleveland are gettin a little reckless a/o Hue isn't gettin the job done!
 By the way I heard through the grapevine that the Browns are going to start shopping  at the local "Aldis" store so they can get a Quarter back.  Hilarious  
Reply/Quote
Look at the last time Gruden replaced a decent and respected-around-the-league head coach (won the Super Bowl).

I'm down if he'll do it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man i would love for him to come here and shut you up Pistons.

Never say never brah.

His brother knows the inner workings of this organization. If it's anywhere near how the general public perceives it, his brother is telling him not to touch it with a 10 foot pole. 

Seriously, think about it and then let me know if "never say never" applies here. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Ha...not with Mikey boy...he'd have to pay him.
Reply/Quote
I could be wrong, but if the past 26 years have taught me anything it's that Marvin Lewis is the best HC we're going to get while Mike Brown is calling the shots.
Reply/Quote
Not till the "Prince of Darkness" is no longer ruling this hell we all call Bengaldom....
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:14 PM)jason Wrote: How long has it been since Gruden coached an NFL game?... C'mon fellas.

Next year will make 10 years. That said, Joe Gibbs and Dick Vermeil made successful returns after longer layoffs (I'm sure others have as well), so it's very possible. Plus Gruden is still only 54 years old. 5 years younger than Marvin. I think we can safely stop talking about him though. He's always a part of some rumor and I think he enjoys that, but I don't think he'll ever give up his lucrative (and much easier) current gig to coach...especially for friggin Mike Brown.

(11-09-2017, 01:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am the King of wishful thinking. Mellow

I'll get over Marv, I know I will.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I’m not a fan of old or retread coaches in today’s NFL. Better to go get a young hungry coordinator that can relate to players and can motivate.

The Chiefs have a couple guys I like in Nagy and Bieneimy.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 03:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh, I don't know....how much money do you suppose he made in his coaching career? How much money do you think he made doing Monday Night Football??? If he's not at the point in his life where money is not as important as doing what you want, he's got a severe spending problem....

You're making assumptions that literally have no basis in reality. You don't know what he does with his money or what his financial needs are. Maybe he wants to leave his kid's and their kid's set for life? Simply saying he shouldn't care about money at this point is asinine. Being an NFL head coach is a highly demanding and stressful job, maybe he simply doesn't want the stress in his life?
Reply/Quote
That would be nice but I doubt it would happen. He would no doubt have us back in the playoffs next year.

I remember after we drafted Maualuga Gruden was pumped on ESPN and said he wanted to run down and "buy one of those Bengal jerseys" (this was well before Jay Gruden became our OC). I was excited at the time because I figured after the 2008 debacle 2009 would be Marvins last year and Gruden could possibly take over.

8 years later, I wonder if Jon would still like to put on one of those Bengal jerseys  Cool
Reply/Quote
Why don't we rent a billboard on Pete Rose Way and beg him to come?   Ninja
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 04:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: You're making assumptions that literally have no basis in reality. You don't know what he does with his money or what his financial needs are. Maybe he wants to leave his kid's and their kid's set for life? Simply saying he shouldn't care about money at this point is asinine. Being an NFL head coach is a highly demanding and stressful job, maybe he simply doesn't want the stress in his life?

Exactly.  Imagine Gruden not only giving up his cushy, high-paying job where he's treated like a king, and passing over coaching vacancies in warmer climates and with legitimate front offices, but all to jump at the chance to coach here.  Staying at PBS until 10:30 every night working for Mike Brown and the Mickey Mouse organization his brother has warned him about endlessly to live in a city that's gray, drizzly and 39 degrees?  Never, no way, nah baby nah.

Can we stop torturing ourselves with these ridiculous fantasies?  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
It probably was because Jay was here, but Jon has always been fair when analyzing the Bengals as an announcer. I think he recognizes the potential for success in the organization.
Reply/Quote