Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Jon Gruden..come to Cincinnati!
We need a change at Head Coach.. we dont want someone that's quiet who cracks under pressure we need a winner. I'm tired of seeing Marvin look uninterested in sideline. He does that same old sh** every game .. (clap) "let's go"..we need someone that is involved in the game and shows emotion. Our coach rubs off on our players. He's gotta go. Our team has 0 heart and we need a motivator who can give us that spark again..Gruden talks about looking for the perfect opportunity. I think we would be his best choice if you ask me..hell he went to Dayton when he was in college.

Gruden come to Cincinnati!
Reply/Quote
It would certainly be a challenge. Rolleyes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would welcome this change with open arms. Any change is a good change at this point. I wonder though, what is his history of player discipline? We lack discipline on this team. We need a hard nosed coach who pulls out all stops to get a victory. On paper, we are very good but the lack of discipline, drive, determination, heart, common sense and teamwork are lacking badly. This team is complacent and stale. If he is the one who can change these things, we can go back to winning again, and possibly snap that playoff loss streak.

Reply/Quote
Yes, it seems like Marvin is mailing it in nowadays and that a change is needed, but I'm not so sure Gruden would be good. Is there any chance it could happen?
Reply/Quote
Gruden sitting at ESPN like “hell naw”
Reply/Quote
As I've pointed out before, word on NFL radio was that Gruden was wrapping things up at the network in preparation to return to coaching. I think Cincy would be a perfect spot for him, the team is almost built, save for some offensive linemen. Plus, I think Cincy fans would give him a couple of years to get it together before coming down on him.
Reply/Quote
Hate to be the debbie downer, but Gruden is considering the Bucs the most I believe. He has a relationship with the team already, he likes the young pieces they have, and their coach is on the hot seat.

I would love to have Gruden, but I'm not sure Brown would give him the control he wants.
Reply/Quote
So Gruden is going to go from one of the highest paid sports broadcasters in the world to one of the lowest paid head coaches? 10x more work for way less pay always gets me pumped!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 10:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: So Gruden is going to go from one of the highest paid sports broadcasters in the world to one of the lowest paid head coaches? 10x more work for way less pay always gets me pumped!

He's at the point in his life where money doesn't mean that much because he's set for life. If he enjoys coaching more than broadcasting, then probably yes... and a lot of these guys are more into competition and getting another ring than they are talking on tv....
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's at the point in his life where money doesn't mean that much because he's set for life. If he enjoys coaching more than broadcasting, then probably yes... and a lot of these guys are more into competition and getting another ring than they are talking on tv....

Yeah....I mean, if dude were to win a SB in Tampa AND Cincy.....he easily goes down as football genius. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
How long has it been since Gruden coached an NFL game?... C'mon fellas.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 08:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would welcome this change with open arms. Any change is a good change at this point. I wonder though, what is his history of player discipline? We lack discipline on this team. We need a hard nosed coach who pulls out all stops to get a victory. On paper, we are very good but the lack of discipline, drive, determination, heart, common sense and teamwork are lacking badly. This team is complacent and stale. If he is the one who can change these things, we can go back to winning again, and possibly snap that playoff loss streak.

Right On !

We're at the point now that basically anything is better. If Gruden got the job I'd love it ! But I'd settle for basically anything, hell there's pretty much no way to go but up.

Like you say this team is broken and has been broken for quite some time now. We're 13-18-1 since the 8-0 start to 2015, and 5 of those wins are against the stinking Browns. I'm not going out on to big a limb to say our record most likely wouldn't even be that good without that luxury.

Like you say this team desperately needs new leadership, new direction, and a complete culture change ! Window dressing isn't going to do anything ! Simply changing a couple position coaches will do nothing.

We need wholesale change ! A clean slate ! unfortunately Mike's not going anywhere. Best we can hope for is he'll finally come to his senses and Hire a new HC and let him pick his entire staff. Paul Alexander needs to go just as bad as Marvin.

Here's to hoping  ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
No great HC is going to come to a team with a terrible offensive line and more importantly the same management in place that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years. The Bengals don't use free agency much and allow some of their best players to walk for Comp Picks. They also tout the draft being important yet have a small scouting staff.

The reason Coughlin didn't come here in 2002 is there were unresolved issues over the personnel dept. ie He wanted a GM...and the Bengals wouldn't do that.

The coaching hire here will be someone who won't make waves and will work under whatever rules the Bengals Management sets forth. Likely Guenther.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah....I mean, if dude were to win a SB in Tampa AND Cincy.....he easily goes down as football genius. Smirk

And over the years he's had opportunities to get back into coaching from better managed teams with deeper pockets.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:14 PM)jason Wrote: How long has it been since Gruden coached an NFL game?... C'mon fellas.

It's not like he's been away from the game, and as HC all he has to do is hire a good OC and DC and then set the tone with the players.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It's not like he's been away from the game, and as HC all he has to do is hire a good OC and DC and then set the tone with the players.

He would NEVER come to coach for MB and the Bengals Management.

It's laughable to me that people are entertaining this thought.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:59 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He's at the point in his life where money doesn't mean that much because he's set for life. If he enjoys coaching more than broadcasting, then probably yes... and a lot of these guys are more into competition and getting another ring than they are talking on tv....

How do you know that's the point he's at? People have been talking about his return for every position for 5 years and it's never happened. It's the same stuff they said about Cowher and he never came back. 

This whole thread is wishful thinking. If he was going to come back there would be far better situations this off season to come back to than here.
Reply/Quote
Gruden would come here but he will be the next Tampa coach.

Our next HC will Be Hue or Guenther.

Maybe we get surprised with someone like McDaniels it depends on Katie’s role. She was the one who pushed to hire Marvin over Coughlin.

I don’t think we hire a nobody. It will be someone with ties or a big hire. All the assistant contracts are up so a total wash is in play.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 05:39 AM)Nati#1 Wrote: We need a change at Head Coach.. we dont want someone that's quiet who cracks under pressure we need a winner. I'm tired of seeing Marvin look uninterested in sideline. He does that same old sh** every game .. (clap) "let's go"..we need someone that is involved in the game and shows emotion. Our coach rubs off on our players. He's gotta go. Our team has 0 heart and we need a motivator who can give us that spark again..Gruden talks about looking for the perfect opportunity. I think we would be his best choice if you ask me..hell he went to Dayton when he was in college.

Gruden come to Cincinnati!

He is my favorite candidate if he is one.

Really like Jon Gruden man, good ole Chucky would get this shit turned around. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)Au165 Wrote: How do you know that's the point he's at? People have been talking about his return for every position for 5 years and it's never happened. It's the same stuff they said about Cowher and he never came back. 

This whole thread is wishful thinking. If he was going to come back there would be far better situations this off season to come back to than here.

I am the King of wishful thinking. Mellow
Reply/Quote