Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Kitna, Next Asst OC/QB Coach
Dak Prescott is currently leading the NFL in passing yards. Jon Kitna was brought in to be his QB coach this past year. I would try and bring Kitna in to mentor Burrow, much like he did for Palmer.

Here is an article about Kitna working with Dak:

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/08/14/jon-kitna-returns-nfl-cowboys-seeks-growth-dak-prescott/2013583001/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Why the hell would he leave Dallas to come here?

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why the hell would he leave Dallas to come here?

Loyalty to the team that cut him? Yeah...that's it..  Hilarious  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: Loyalty to the team that cut him? Yeah...that's it..  Hilarious  

Cut him?  They didn't renew his contract so he could explore the potential to be a starter somewhere else, which he did (Detroit).

One of the things that many of you might not remember was that Kitna had a bonus based on % of snaps played that he just missed, by something like three snaps.  The Bengals decided to pay him anyways.  It was roughly 1 million dollars.  Doesn't seem like much today, but it was quite a bit back then.  They loved Jon and he had nothing but great things to say about the organization.

If he came here as a promotion, why wouldn't he consider it?  I love the idea of his veteran presence to help Burrow.  Say what you will about him as a QB, but he got a TON out of his limited body and is a first class person/teammate.  
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why the hell would he leave Dallas to come here?

If Garrett gets canned after the year Kitna may not be retained.
Reply/Quote
Jon Kitna had an 18-15 record as a starter in Seattle when the Seahawks weren't very good.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:42 AM)Whatever Wrote: If Garrett gets canned after the year Kitna may not be retained.

And we could always offer him a promotion, even if it's not a coordinator position.

I always thought we should've brought him in here when he got into coaching. He already knows the organization and he's familiar (or at least was) with staff. He was a good mentor for Carson from what I'd heard, and it would be good with the likelihood were getting a new qb in a season or two.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 09:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Dak Prescott is currently leading the NFL in passing yards.  Jon Kitna was brought in to be his QB coach this past year.  I would try and bring Kitna in to mentor Burrow, much like he did for Palmer.

Here is an article about Kitna working with Dak:

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2019/08/14/jon-kitna-returns-nfl-cowboys-seeks-growth-dak-prescott/2013583001/

Just Replace Zac with McCarthy
Reply/Quote
I'm a huge Kitna fan, but does anyone really think he would be a better QB coach than Alex Van Pelt? Really?
Reply/Quote
I would LOVE that.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm a huge Kitna fan, but does anyone really think he would be a better QB coach than Alex Van Pelt? Really?

Maybe as an adjunct, not a replacement?
Reply/Quote
It's really hard to judge Van Pelt. He worked wonders with Rodgers, but the past 2 seasons here...it's really hard to point to good QB play.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 10:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Cut him?  They didn't renew his contract so he could explore the potential to be a starter somewhere else, which he did (Detroit).

One of the things that many of you might not remember was that Kitna had a bonus based on % of snaps played that he just missed, by something like three snaps.  The Bengals decided to pay him anyways.  It was roughly 1 million dollars.  Doesn't seem like much today, but it was quite a bit back then.  They loved Jon and he had nothing but great things to say about the organization.

If he came here as a promotion, why wouldn't he consider it?  I love the idea of his veteran presence to help Burrow.  Say what you will about him as a QB, but he got a TON out of his limited body and is a first class person/teammate.  

They did Kitna dirty. It was one of the biggest things that pissed Carson Palmer off. He talked about it on his Football Life.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm a huge Kitna fan, but does anyone really think he would be a better QB coach than Alex Van Pelt? Really?

Van Pelt has done absolutely nothing impressive with any QB not named Aaron Rodgers.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Van Pelt has done absolutely nothing impressive with any QB not named Aaron Rodgers.

Yes - My point too. Dalton has been considerably his worst this year. Yeah we're missing AJ, but he shouldn't be this bad. And Finley didn't look ready to go either when he was called upon.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - My point too. Dalton has been considerably his worst this year. Yeah we're missing AJ, but he shouldn't be this bad. And Finley didn't look ready to go either when he was called upon.

And Driskel was terrible last season.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Driskel was terrible last season.

Dalton doesn't seem to know where to go with the ball this year. I'd imagine that rests on the QB Coach/Taylor.

One interesting thing is Joe Burrow ALWAYS seems to make the right read and process where to throw quick. I'd say that's one of his main strengths. It will be interesting to see if that remains a strength working with Taylor and Van Pelt, if they're here still.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 11:12 AM)Benton Wrote: And we could always offer him a promotion, even if it's not a coordinator position.

I always thought we should've brought him in here when he got into coaching. He already knows the organization and he's familiar (or at least was) with staff. He was a good mentor for Carson from what I'd heard, and it would be good with the likelihood were getting a new qb in a season or two.

Callahan and Taylor have shown zero as coordinators. Kit a can’t be worse than them.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Driskel was terrible last season.

Driskel looked serviceable this year until he got hurt. Then again, the Lions have a better o-line and WR/TE’s, which allowed Jeff a bit more leeway.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2019, 02:45 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Callahan and Taylor have shown zero as coordinators.  Kit a can’t be worse than them.

You're absolutely right about that -- but let's go deeper.

Since Hue Jackson left the Bengals have been throwing jello at a wall with respect to offense and see what sticks.  Pass first?  Run first?  Combination?  I can't tell.  With Bill Lazor the Bengals did well in the Red Zone -- but rarely got there.  Under Brian Callahan the Bengals make it into the Red Zone often but sputter and can't score.  Unlike the good offenses we see who have "go-to" plays which always result in first downs, Cincinnati doesn't have that anymore.  Years ago it was the wide receiver screen to AJ Green and to Chad Johnson before him -- but now that doesn't work because there's no downfield blocking set up.

The Patriots' "go to" play is to run Sony Michel through the left side A-gap.  The Steelers' "go to" play is to run James Conner through the right side strong side C-gap.
Reply/Quote