Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jonah Williams Requests Trade
(03-24-2023, 12:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think trading Jonah moves the needle on this at all. There's no guarantee Jonah even wins the starting RT gig. Matter of fact, I'd rather see him compete at LG.  

Jonah gets pushed around too much to play inside unless he really works his ass off this year to gain an anchor and stays healthy.

(03-24-2023, 12:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno necessarily.
People seem to already be writing off the possibility of Carman at RT.
He showed enough at LT last year to give some optimism he may be able to handle RT.
If you draft an OT at 28, you're either writing Carman's future on the wall that he's nothing more than a swing tackle, or you're pushing a 1st rounder to the bench for 2 years (at least) depending on if they re-sign Carman after 2024.

I am not writing Carman off after what I saw of him in the Playoffs. It was impressive and he obviously likes it more at Tackle.

Hopefully it is just the same at RT, hey, I have backed him for years while taking a lot of heat. No time for me to stop when he 
finally shown something of merit. Honestly about the most ideal scenario is Jackson Carman growing into a stud RT for us. If that
happens it helps the entire team so much. 

Imagine going BPA and adding some great player and Carman being able to handle RT? This is my biggest hope this Offseason.

Would kind of suck like you said if we added someone like DaWand Jones or Matt Bergeron and Carman beat them out...

It would be another what if scenario.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 12:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I dunno necessarily.
People seem to already be writing off the possibility of Carman at RT.
He showed enough at LT last year to give some optimism he may be able to handle RT.
If you draft an OT at 28, you're either writing Carman's future on the wall that he's nothing more than a swing tackle, or you're pushing a 1st rounder to the bench for 2 years (at least) depending on if they re-sign Carman after 2024.

Agree and have posted the same thing about Carman. The Bengals just may be happy with the O-line presently other than depth. 

If we draft a RT and Carman beats him out it becomes a wasted pick in a "all in" year. The Bengals have used a lot of resources trying to fix OL which I applaud, and Collins is still here as well. 

With S's and TE's thinned so much and RB and CB needed as well, just not sure they go OL. Yet that's the coaches call and if they do I will not complain because I want Joe protected. Yet Carman looked good at OT and believe Washington helps protect Joe too. . 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:54 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and have posted the same thing about Carman. The Bengals just may be happy with the O-line presently other than depth. 

If we draft a RT and Carman beats him out it becomes a wasted pick in a "all in" year. The Bengals have used a lot of resources trying to fix OL which I applaud, and Collins is still here as well. 

With S's and TE's thinned so much and RB and CB needed as well, just not sure they go OL. Yet that's the coaches call and if they do I will not complain because I want Joe protected. Yet Carman looked good at OT and believe Washington helps protect Joe too. . 

I agree with everything except the Safety part.
I think we got Hill and Scott as the starters with Thomas and Anderson as the backups. That may not be great, but it should be solid.
TE, on the other hand, is atrocious. The only dude of any possible chance is Asiasi, but he needs to show he can block if he wants to see the field.
When dealing with the likes of these juggernaut passing offenses like the Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Eagles, and Cowboys, the Bengals will need a healthy stable of CBs. If Awuzie or CTB goes down, it's Jalen Davis or Allan George. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with that. An early draft pick at CB or re-signing Apple would make me feel better about the CBs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 03:54 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and have posted the same thing about Carman. The Bengals just may be happy with the O-line presently other than depth. 

Safety thin? I would not say thin but rather young. I am actually excited by the young athletic trio of safeties we have in Hill, Cook, and Anderson.
Reply/Quote

Darnell Washington sure would help out Carman on the right side big time, nice call Go Cards.

Also sliding Washington over to the left side sure would be intimidating with Orlando Brown and the monster blocking TE of DW.

(03-24-2023, 04:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with everything except the Safety part.
I think we got Hill and Scott as the starters with Thomas and Anderson as the backups. That may not be great, but it should be solid.
TE, on the other hand, is atrocious. The only dude of any possible chance is Asiasi, but he needs to show he can block if he wants to see the field.
When dealing with the likes of these juggernaut passing offenses like the Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Eagles, and Cowboys, the Bengals will need a healthy stable of CBs. If Awuzie or CTB goes down, it's Jalen Davis or Allan George. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with that. An early draft pick at CB or re-signing Apple would make me feel better about the CBs.

Yeah, Dax and Tycen just need to grow, I love their upside. Scott is really smart which is what we needed with losing our guys.

I think there will be some chemistry issues early with Dax and Nick, but it will sort itself out with more snaps. Just as long as they 
don't cost us games early we should be fine at Safety. Truly believe Daxton Hill could be the next great Safety in the NFL. Better than
both Bates and Bell, but it will take time. Scott was great insurance and from everything I have heard is a great teammate.

Scott likes to hit too and wrap up when he tackles. Ramsey just doing what he wanted hurt the grades of the other Secondary players
on the Rams, especially in coverage. It was a shock losing Bell at the time, but I think we could of done much worse than Nick Scott.

Bringing the thread back on track. Want to see Jackson Carman become a stud at RT....

LT - Orlando Brown
LG - Cordell Volson
C - Ted Karras
RG -  Alex Cappa
RT - Jackson Carman (studified)

Wink

With Darnell Washington helping out sure sounds awesome to me lol
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 04:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bringing the thread back on track. Want to see Jackson Carman become a stud at RT....

LT - Orlando Brown
LG - Cordell Volson
C - Ted Karras
RG -  Alex Cappa

Wink

With Darnell Washington helping out sure sounds awesome to me lol

Why stop there, Nate?

LT - Orlando Brown (studified)
LG - Cordell Volson (studified)
C - Ted Karras (studified)
RG -  Alex Cappa (studified)

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

If we draft a RT and Carman beats him out it becomes a wasted pick
in a "all in" year. The Bengals have used a lot of resources trying to fix OL which I applaud, and Collins is still here as well. 

The last 2 years have been "good enough" years for the Oline. That hasn't worked. If a RT that is a projected day 1 starter is there, take him. No need to be basing decisions on 'what ifs'. 

If you're looking at Brown at LT and Carman backing him up and someone like Wright at RT with Collins backing him up, that's solid. If Jonah is still in the mix, all the better but i'd prefer to get something for him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Jackson Carman is the greatest of all time. There, I said it. Im officially on board
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 04:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The last 2 years have been "good enough" years for the Oline. That hasn't worked. If a RT that is a projected day 1 starter is there, take him. No need to be basing decisions on 'what ifs'. 

If you're looking at Brown at LT and Carman backing him up and someone like Wright at RT with Collins backing him up, that's solid. If Jonah is still in the mix, all the better but i'd prefer to get something for him. 

I think the starters were good enough last year. And Carman was good enough in the POs. Add in Brown and that is 7 guys in the "good enough or better" category, with 4 being tackles. Scharping & Adeniji were not great vs Baltimore or KC, to put it mildly. But we got to the SB once with Adeniji at guard and almost again with him at OT#4 and 2 other reserves starting. If he is on the team again while Collins recovers as OT#4 we could do worse. Or Ford/Smith beat him out. 

I think the plan is to go TE, DE, and CB is some order. The classes for all 3 are deep. 2 are premium positions where we'd be picking a depth guy and TE will be a starter. 

If a great value guy at another spot falls to us (OT, DT, RB, WR, IOL) I think we could take him and push DE/CB to round 4. OT would be at the top of the list in round 1 (Skoronski, Johnson, B. Jones, Wright). But beyond those 4, I'd much rather take the best availavle TE, CB, DE; or a stud DT (Kancey, Bresee), RB (Robinson), or WR (JSN, Flowers, Addison, Johnson) than reach for D. Jones, Harrison, or Mauch. I don't see a IOL guy as good balue at #28. I think the 2nd tier OTs are gone by 60. I think S and LB and QB are off the table until later on day 3. 

If there is not someone we love at a spot, or the guys left are relatively equal quality, try to trade back & add a pick. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 05:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think the starters were good enough last year. 

3.9 ypc is great, I agree
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 05:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jackson Carman is the greatest of all time. There, I said it. Im officially on board

You can rest assured that quote will never make my sig line.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 05:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You can rest assured that quote will never make my sig line.

I still dont get why my volson quote had such an impact on you. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 05:43 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think the starters were good enough last year. And Carman was good enough in the POs. Add in Brown and that is 7 guys in the "good enough or better" category, with 4 being tackles. Scharping & Adeniji were not great vs Baltimore or KC, to put it mildly. But we got to the SB once with Adeniji at guard and almost again with him at OT#4 and 2 other reserves starting. If he is on the team again while Collins recovers as OT#4 we could do worse. Or Ford/Smith beat him out. 

I think the plan is to go TE, DE, and CB is some order. The classes for all 3 are deep. 2 are premium positions where we'd be picking a depth guy and TE will be a starter. 

If a great value guy at another spot falls to us (OT, DT, RB, WR, IOL) I think we could take him and push DE/CB to round 4. OT would be at the top of the list in round 1 (Skoronski, Johnson, B. Jones, Wright). But beyond those 4, I'd much rather take the best availavle TE, CB, DE; or a stud DT (Kancey, Bresee), RB (Robinson), or WR (JSN, Flowers, Addison, Johnson) than reach for D. Jones, Harrison, or Mauch. I don't see a IOL guy as good balue at #28. I think the 2nd tier OTs are gone by 60. I think S and LB and QB are off the table until later on day 3. 

If there is not someone we love at a spot, or the guys left are relatively equal quality, try to trade back & add a pick. 

My preferred would be Wright (if he's there), Gibbs (if he's there) then TE, then CB. A guy like Spears i'd take in 3 and move TE up if Wright isn't there in rd1. Though my scenario goes away from what the Bengals usually do. In a perfect world they like to alternate defensive and offensive picks round by round. 

The highlighted part above is the most likely scenario, overall. The only thing i don't see happening is WR in any round before 4. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 05:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I still dont get why my volson quote had such an impact on you. 

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 06:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth.

thanks. Volson is still meh. It's not even an argument, frankly
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2023, 10:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, this is mutually beneficial. Trading Jonah would save a good chunk of money and net a draft pick.

I'd rather roll with Ford at RT until Collins is healthy. Collins (assuming he can come back to his pre-Bengals form) has already proven to have a higher ceiling and floor than Jonah Williams, and wouldn't be switching positions.

Tbh, I was surprised so many people jumped on the cut Collins and move Jonah over train. That wasn't my initial thought at all.

Shoot, Ford might be a better RT than Jonah, too.

(03-24-2023, 06:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: thanks. Volson is still meh. It's not even an argument, frankly

And he might improve . It has happen before.
Reply/Quote

Is this an all in year? Somebody better let the Bengals know that because they don't appear to be thinking that. I think Carman showed potential but that's hard to bank on. I say draft oline in 1 and hopefully build the oline up for the future.
Reply/Quote
Looking at numerous mock drafts I’m convinced they swap picks with Detroit @18 and throw in Jonah. It looks like both Darnell Wright (Tenn OT) could go @ 19 to the Bucs and Michael Mayer (ND TE) to LAC at 21. They can decide between them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:25 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Looking at numerous mock drafts I’m convinced they swap picks with Detroit @18 and throw in Jonah. It looks like both Darnell Wright (Tenn OT) could go @ 19 to the Bucs and Michael Mayer (ND TE) to LAC at 21. They can decide between them.

Detroit already has an elite o-line and also the highest paid o-line in the league. It would make no sense for Detroit to want to grab Jonah

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:41 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Detroit already has an elite o-line and also the highest paid o-line in the league. It would make no sense for Detroit to want to grab Jonah

Then throw in our second. I think swapping with Detroit would get us a sure fire starter
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote