Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah squatted 600 lbs!
(06-07-2023, 02:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's right where he needs to be, working with his strength and conditioning coaches getting his knees right. 

Well it is possible to do both
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe I'm wrong but think this will be the best OL the Bengals have had in a long time.

Stoking my fire.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Working on leg strength is good but Jonah also needs to work on his core.  If someone is bull rushing you, hitting you high and forcing you to bend back that's also an issue with core strength

Who says he not? I'm not at his workouts, but I'm quite certain he and his trainers know that and are working his entire body. But getting those knees up to speed is his rehab. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well it is possible to do both

Nobody complained about Hendrickson working away from the facility with his personal coaches in the early days of last season. When mandatories come around, Jonah will be there. 
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Working on leg strength is good but Jonah also needs to work on his core. If someone is bull rushing you, hitting you high and forcing you to bend back that's also an issue with core strength

I really don’t think it is raw strength that Jonah is lacking. Hell, to be able to squat 605 for reps is a testament to Jonah’s core. He has to brace his core to carry that weight and transfer the force to lift it. That takes incredible core strength. I think Jonah’s issue is technique and how he applies his strength. He lets defenders get inside his arms and into his chest often or he will over commit to a move and leave the inside open.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 07:57 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I really don’t think it is raw strength that Jonah is lacking. Hell, to be able to squat 605 for reps is a testament to Jonah’s core. He has to brace his core to carry that weight and transfer the force to lift it. That takes incredible core strength. I think Jonah’s issue is technique and how he applies his strength. He lets defenders get inside his arms and into his chest often or he will over commit to a move and leave the inside open.

Right, I'd like to see videos of him doing mirror drills and hand fight practice with a leaner, more agile player.  As you said, he's not lacking for strength, his work needs to be done with his hands and feet.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Right, I'd like to see videos of him doing mirror drills and hand fight practice with a leaner, more agile player.  As you said, he's not lacking for strength, his work needs to be done with his hands and feet.

Yep, I agree. I also cut him some slack for last season given the injuries that he had. He clearly wasn’t operating at full capacity. He’s a fine player when he is healthy.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Working on leg strength is good but Jonah also needs to work on his core.  If someone is bull rushing you, hitting you high and forcing you to bend back that's also an issue with core strength

Do you think squatting doesn't engage your core?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:13 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yep, I agree. I also cut him some slack for last season given the injuries that he had. He clearly wasn’t operating at full capacity. He’s a fine player when he is healthy.

That's the thing, keeping him healthy.  WTS, what do you think the chances of Jonah signing a second contract with the Bengals are, now that he's been bumped over to RT?  I mean, we haven't ever seen him play a single down at RT as a Bengal, so he could either play very well or he could have issues going the opposite direction.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's the thing, keeping him healthy.  WTS, what do you think the chances of Jonah signing a second contract with the Bengals are, now that he's been bumped over to RT?  I mean, we haven't ever seen him play a single down at RT as a Bengal, so he could either play very well or he could have issues going the opposite direction.

Man, I don’t know. He really seems to want to play on the left side and it is hard to blame him. On average, he would make more money. He is definitely slotted in as a RT from this point on. I think I would be surprised to see him stay, but I don’t know what kind of market he would have given his injury struggles.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 06:34 PM)M.W. Wrote: I agree, the RT position will be a fierce fight!

I just hope that whoever plays best gets the job. Jonah’s $12+ mil is guaranteed and a sunk cost, so should not be a consideration in the decision.  That said, I anticipate both Jonah and LC start the season on PUP. The initial camp battle will be between Carman and Ford with Carman being the favorite to win the starting job week 1.  Jonah returns before the bye week and potentially becomes the starter at RT unless Carman shines. LC will probably be late season help at best. 

I am optimistic that the OL will be improved both in terms of the starters and backup depth.  However, given new players and players at new positions, I expect some time together will be needed before the line gels same as last year.  How much of an improvement remains to be seen and therefore I am trying to curb my enthusiasm.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:51 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nobody complained about Hendrickson working away from the facility with his personal coaches in the early days of last season. When mandatories come around, Jonah will be there. 

Well there is the small matter that Hendrickson didn't demand a trade. I have 0 issue with Jonah working with personal staff, but I'm not going to be blind. His not being there doesn't send a good message
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:50 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: I just hope that whoever plays best gets the job. Jonah’s $12+ mil is guaranteed and a sunk cost, so should not be a consideration in the decision.  That said, I anticipate both Jonah and LC start the season on PUP. The initial camp battle will be between Carman and Ford with Carman being the favorite to win the starting job week 1.  Jonah returns before the bye week and potentially becomes the starter at RT unless Carman shines. LC will probably be late season help at best. 

I am optimistic that the OL will be improved both in terms of the starters and backup depth.  However, given new players and players at new positions, I expect some time together will be needed before the line gels same as last year.  How much of an improvement remains to be seen and therefore I am trying to curb my enthusiasm.

Nice post SouthernFan. All understandable thoughts. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 09:32 AM)bonesaw Wrote: Sounds like he should be at ota's.  Diva

I guess Chido Awuzie is a diva as well...?

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is good news as you say regardless, I hope Jonah stays healthy this year and plays great for us. I just don't see it happening...

Expecting Carman to be the starting RT come the opener and I think he plays well there. LC coming off that bad injury, I doubt he is 
100% by that time. Should be a great competition at RT between Jonah and Carman if Jonah is working his ass off like it looks like he
is and if we could trade Jonah for something I would be down just the same.

Sure would be a brighter future around here if we know who our RT of the future is and he is solid. Hoping for Carman to be the man.

Carman simply has not shown to be better than Jonah.  Even in what many consider his best game in the snow he graded out at 60.  He has not won a spot in 2 years, could not beat out a rookie from a MVC team.  If the competition is remotely close and Jonah is healthy and on the roster, I would think they go with a guy that has shown he can start in the league and try to win the SB.

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:50 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: I just hope that whoever plays best gets the job. Jonah’s $12+ mil is guaranteed and a sunk cost, so should not be a consideration in the decision.  That said, I anticipate both Jonah and LC start the season on PUP. The initial camp battle will be between Carman and Ford with Carman being the favorite to win the starting job week 1.  Jonah returns before the bye week and potentially becomes the starter at RT unless Carman shines. LC will probably be late season help at best. 

LC probably but Jonah I think will be good to go by week 1.  You don't squat 3 reps of 605 pounds on a post-surgery knee in early June if you aren't close to being cleared to play football.  13 weeks until the season starts that a long time. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 07:38 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: LC probably but Jonah I think will be good to go by week 1.  You don't squat 3 reps of 605 pounds on a post-surgery knee in early June if you aren't close to be cleared to play football.  13 weeks until the season starts that a long time. 

Static movements like squat, bench press and deadlifts are a lot different than dynamic movements on recently repaired knees.  It'll take a little while for him to regain full confidence in his kick slide, plant and pivoting and such.  Regaining power is a good sign though.  (btw, I'm not a medical professional, just have a wife who's been through 7 knee surgeries and became familiar with the rehab process)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 09:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well there is the small matter that Hendrickson didn't demand a trade. I have 0 issue with Jonah working with personal staff, but I'm not going to be blind. His not being there doesn't send a good message

So thank you for proving my point. It's not that Williams isn't there that is really bothering people, it is that he asked (not demanded) for a trade. 
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's the thing, keeping him healthy.  WTS, what do you think the chances of Jonah signing a second contract with the Bengals are, now that he's been bumped over to RT?  I mean, we haven't ever seen him play a single down at RT as a Bengal, so he could either play very well or he could have issues going the opposite direction.

Great point.  Not only will he want to likely go somewhere that wants him at LT, but his next contract could be a huge hit if he has a good season.  There are just so few solid OTs out there.

My hope is Carman really impresses and Jonah gets traded to a team desperate for a LT.  I fear Carman on the right side again, after showing such promise at LT last year, but maybe the light has gone on in terms of preparation and conditioning.  
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2023, 06:06 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Carman simply has not shown to be better than Jonah.  Even in what many consider his best game in the snow he graded out at 60.  He has not won a spot in 2 years, could not beat out a rookie from a MVC team.  If the competition is remotely close and Jonah is healthy and on the roster, I would think they go with a guy that has shown he can start in the league and try to win the SB.

I disagree, bud.  In his first two NFL starts at LT, in the divisional round and the AFC title game (including 28 snaps against the Ratbirds), Jonah had a pass blocking average of 67.2, according to PFF.  Jonah's season average grade was 62.7.  I know people hate when PFF is used to make an argument, but the eyeball test against Buffalo and KC, where he practiced all week at LT and started both games showed me a lot about Carman that I had previously not believed. 

Jonah gets a pass due to his fighting through injuries, but he wasn't really playing that well before the injury.  He looked like he added bad weight and lost some of his agility.  

I don't mean to sound like Carman is better than Jonah (although I do believe he has a significantly better anchor), but what I saw in his first two starts at LT, combined with his contract represents a tremendous savings over Jonah.  Collins could start on PUP and either back him up or take the job if Carman is struggling.  I have a feeling that if Jackson gets the snaps at RT and is the starter, he will be pretty solid and won't look back.  

I mentioned earlier that I would keep Collins as quality depth for both tackle spots and he also played LG his rookie season for Dallas.  
Reply/Quote