Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah squatted 600 lbs!
(06-15-2023, 01:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: No team does that.  That makes zero sense.  Why in the world would a team contact a player telling him they are trying to replace him before the trade is finalized?  Regardless if the trade goes through or not you now have a pissed off player.   

After the trade there probably should have been some type of communication, and perhaps they considered the coaches were enough?

You use black and white language a lot, so we're going to disagree often. You are going to say that no team has ever spoken to a player and said "we are looking at bringing in some guys to compete for your spot"? Ever? Never ever? Keep in mind, Brown wasn't a trade. He was a free agent. Even still, the timing of what I am suggesting doesn't have to be perfect or exactly as I described. They could, of course, have waited until after Brown signed and immediately contacted Jonah. The point that I am trying to make is that Jonah didn't figure out plans from the coaches - he figured it out from a tweet and a teammate contacting him. By the time the coaches had contacted him, they were already in a tough spot. You have your guy who has battled for you to be on the field, slogging through injuries, already knowing what you're about to say because he received a tweet/ESPN alert or whatever. That can definitely leave a sour taste in ones mouth, understandably. 
Reply/Quote
Both tackles Williams and LC struggled last year. The reason we got Orlando Brown was because we needed to upgrade that position and had the opportunity to with Williams.

Signing Orlando Brown was just as much about the ability to upgrade the RT spot as it was the LT spot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You use black and white language a lot, so we're going to disagree often. You are going to say that no team has ever spoken to a player and said "we are looking at bringing in some guys to compete for your spot"? Ever? Never ever? Keep in mind, Brown wasn't a trade. He was a free agent. Even still, the timing of what I am suggesting doesn't have to be perfect or exactly as I described. They could, of course, have waited until after Brown signed and immediately contacted Jonah. The point that I am trying to make is that Jonah didn't figure out plans from the coaches - he figured it out from a tweet and a teammate contacting him. By the time the coaches had contacted him, they were already in a tough spot. You have your guy who has battled for you to be on the field, slogging through injuries, already knowing what you're about to say because he received a tweet/ESPN alert or whatever. That can definitely leave a sour taste in ones mouth, understandably. 

Not sure why I said trade, but yes I think it would be rather stupid to upset a player for no reason if the deal did not go through.

"The point that I am trying to make is that Jonah didn't figure out plans from the coaches - he figured it out from a tweet and a teammate contacting him."  What?  He didn't know about the signing until he saw the tweet, he didnt seem to clarify what the player told him.

There is absolutely no reason for a FO to contact a player prior to finalizing a deal unless the player openly wants to be moved as well.  The FO office likely felt the coaches contacting him was enough after the deal was done, they have him under contract it is the coaches who will handle the position move.

Others have also stated reasons why the FO should NOT have contacted Jonah prior.  Not sure why this is such a difficult concept?

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure why I said trade, but yes I think it would be rather stupid to upset a player for no reason if the deal did not go through.

"The point that I am trying to make is that Jonah didn't figure out plans from the coaches - he figured it out from a tweet and a teammate contacting him."  What?  He didn't know about the signing until he saw the tweet, he didnt seem to clarify what the player told him.

You're right. He found out on Apple News. The teammate was only asking if he had spoken to the FO. Still, that doesn't change the overall point.

Quote:There is absolutely no reason for a FO to contact a player prior to finalizing a deal unless the player openly wants to be moved as well.  The FO office likely felt the coaches contacting him was enough after the deal was done, they have him under contract it is the coaches who will handle the position move.

Others have also stated reasons why the FO should NOT have contacted Jonah prior.  Not sure why this is such a difficult concept?

It's not a difficult concept. Again, I'm not necessarily stating that they should have contacted him prior to the signing itself. The only thing I am going to argue is that they could have, and should have, contacted him prior to it going public. Someone, anyone. The whole thing likely would have gone over much smoother. 

At the end of the day, we got the same result. Jonah is here for one more year and has agreed to play RT. At this point, all is well. I just think that the communication over to Jonah could have been smoother. They have been doing a stellar job recently and it is out of character for them to handle it like that. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You're right. He found out on Apple News. The teammate was only asking if he had spoken to the FO. Still, that doesn't change the overall point.

It's not a difficult concept. Again, I'm not necessarily stating that they should have contacted him prior to the signing itself. The only thing I am going to argue is that they could have, and should have, contacted him prior to it going public. Someone, anyone. The whole thing likely would have gone over much smoother. 

At the end of the day, we got the same result. Jonah is here for one more year and has agreed to play RT. At this point, all is well. I just think that the communication over to Jonah could have been smoother. They have been doing a stellar job recently and it is out of character for them to handle it like that. 

I guess I can see it both ways as to afterwards.  But the FO signs and releases players, it might be more the coaches responsibility to communicate with players already under contract.  In this instance I'm not sure that Katie would be better off talking to Jonah than Zac and Frank...   What would she say, especially knowing Jonah would not be happy?

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I guess I can see it both ways as to afterwards.  But the FO signs and releases players, it might be more the coaches responsibility to communicate with players already under contract.  In this instance I'm not sure that Katie would be better off talking to Jonah than Zac and Frank...   What would she say, especially knowing Jonah would not be happy?

Yeah, talking through it has allowed me to refine my point more. I wasn't necessarily meaning to advocate for telling him prior to the signing, even though I think this has probably occurred, but just more so that someone should have told him before Apple News. 

Sure, I can understand keeping the chain of communication intact. If Duke wanted to relay it to Zac, and then Zac to Frank, so on and so forth then that is completely fine. Honestly, it is probably preferable. Frank is going to have much more of a relationship built with Jonah than Katie. I would suspect he would be able to communicate it better, and then communicate plans going forward. 

Maybe the blame is on the coaches for not reaching out to him. This staff has really blossomed and that would be out of character for them as well. 
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 12:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What?   Carman's play vs KC was brought up as a reason for him to start I simply provided the proof that Jonah played better than Carman vs KC in the previous game with zero sacks, hurries and hits.    How in the world did you come to this conclusion?

Didn't think you meant that, sorry man.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 02:47 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, talking through it has allowed me to refine my point more. I wasn't necessarily meaning to advocate for telling him prior to the signing, even though I think this has probably occurred, but just more so that someone should have told him before Apple News. 

Sure, I can understand keeping the chain of communication intact. If Duke wanted to relay it to Zac, and then Zac to Frank, so on and so forth then that is completely fine. Honestly, it is probably preferable. Frank is going to have much more of a relationship built with Jonah than Katie. I would suspect he would be able to communicate it better, and then communicate plans going forward. 

Maybe the blame is on the coaches for not reaching out to him. This staff has really blossomed and that would be out of character for them as well. 

I think the sentiment is valid in a lot of cases, but i don't think it's as much in the NFL. Without a doubt, at some point early(ish), someone should have called Jonah and said "this is what we're looking to do". Whether he liked it or not is irrelevant--the Bengals don't owe Jonah anything but the money guaranteed in his contract. 

The problem i see is, with the digital, instant news we have now, it seems it would be hard to tell him before he found out online. That aside, i'm sure he would have felt better about it if someone had called him and told him what the plan going forward was and at that point, he could react however he wanted to react. 

With all that said, looking at it from the Bengals POV, Jonah is a grown man in a business that has a short shelf life. They probably figured, no matter when we talk to him, the reaction probably isn't going to change and they assumed he'd be professional about it. I think Jonah has the track record that allows you to assume that he would be. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote