Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah squatted 600 lbs!
(06-14-2023, 01:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: As I suspected, it appears he was contacted by the coaches. So like I said, the truth is usually in the middle of most things. 

I don't know if this is what others were commenting on, but the axe I have to grind is the fact that no one spoke to Jonah before Orlando was signed. I think that is where Soonerpeace was ultimately commenting on poor communication. I don't think there is any more nuance to be had there - Jonah pretty clearly had no idea about those plans and how they affected him. By the time one of the coaches reached Jonah, the optics already looked bad from his perspective. 

I think it would have been a big nothing burger if someone had reached out to Jonah first, or just at some point in that negotiation process before Orlando signed. All it would have taken would have been a call saying "Hey, we are putting an offer in to Orlando and we think he is going to take it. Here is the plan we have..." and by Jonah's own admission, he would have been fine with it. 
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 03:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't know if this is what others were commenting on, but the axe I have to grind is the fact that no one spoke to Jonah before Orlando was signed. I think that is where Soonerpeace was ultimately commenting on poor communication. I don't think there is any more nuance to be had there - Jonah pretty clearly had no idea about those plans and how they affected him. By the time one of the coaches reached Jonah, the optics already looked bad from his perspective. 

I think it would have been a big nothing burger if someone had reached out to Jonah first, or just at some point in that negotiation process before Orlando signed. All it would have taken would have been a call saying "Hey, we are putting an offer in to Orlando and we think he is going to take it. Here is the plan we have..." and by Jonah's own admission, he would have been fine with it. 

I agree, and I also like the way Jonah is handling this moving forward. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 05:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree I don't really like the sound of that and it's not the first time we've heard of them making moves like this with out much thought about the players involved. But Orlando Brown did reach out to the Bengals so the whole thing may have happened rather sudden and unexpectedly.

I think this is correct. If memory serves, it came out late at night. I think things moved quickly on them, and they let the thought of talking with Jonah slip through the cracks.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 03:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't know if this is what others were commenting on, but the axe I have to grind is the fact that no one spoke to Jonah before Orlando was signed. I think that is where Soonerpeace was ultimately commenting on poor communication. I don't think there is any more nuance to be had there - Jonah pretty clearly had no idea about those plans and how they affected him. By the time one of the coaches reached Jonah, the optics already looked bad from his perspective. 

He says that now, but at the time he was balking at playing RT. I have to think not finding a team that wanted him for a LT bad enough to trade for him may have changed his tune. We'll never know for sure what transpired. I'd say just let the whole thing go.
Reply/Quote
I can squat 100 lbs and I am a programmer that is most impressive
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:30 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I can squat 100 lbs and I am a programmer that is most impressive

I'm happy for you, but 600 is not a huge squat in the big picture these days.  For example, I have a guy who I train, who just turned 51 last Friday, and he can squat close to 600.  The point is that Jonah is moving on the rehabbed knees with a load on them, and that is a good thing.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm happy for you, but 600 is not a huge squat in the big picture these days.  For example, I have a guy who I train, who just turned 51 last Friday, and he can squat close to 600.  The point is that Jonah is moving on the rehabbed knees with a load on them, and that is a good thing.

I would argue that it is the other way around. In the big picture, 600 is a nutty lift. However, if you start narrowing your perspective to something like a heavyweight powerlifting competitor, it becomes more common. NFL lineman it is probably the same thing - much more common. Especially considering Jonah was hitting it for reps.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 08:04 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would argue that it is the other way around. In the big picture, 600 is a nutty lift. However, if you start narrowing your perspective to something like a heavyweight powerlifting competitor, it becomes more common. NFL lineman it is probably the same thing - much more common. Especially considering Jonah was hitting it for reps.

That's what I'm getting at, he's doing things that he would normally be doing had he not been injured, rather than something extraordinary to be marveled over.  We've always known that Williams is a strong guy, when the opportunity arises, I've seen him just latch on and shove defenders completely out of bounds, like they were on wheels.  Which is why I previously mentioned that strength is not his issue, he needs to perfect his footwork and handfighting skills in order to develop fully.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yall going to hate to hear this, but we still have to hope and root for Carman winning the RT job outright. It'll be great to secure the position through 2024. Still not knowing what we have in Carman is going to force a Tackle early next year in the draft. After Carman showing signs of life in the playoff's, it'll be a shame to never know if he could have been the answer.

With that said, may the best tackle win the job...... But it would be best if Carman could pull off the upset.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

I get this, but if Jonah, or his agent, leaked the information it could have created a bidding war for Brown and ended up costing the Bengals their biggest FA signing perhaps ever.

He had to be signed, sealed, and delivered before doing anything else.  

I have been in Jonah's place.  Not at the professional stage, but in division 1 college sports.  My "replacement" was brought in my Junior year, and it pissed me off tremendously.  I was a captain and felt like it was some BS message and, although I kept my mouth shut about it, I was pretty pissed off.  I always thought I was one of the, if not the, hardest workers on the team.  The truth is that it pushed me to work even harder and I had my best year ever and he never got my spot.  Not until I graduated.   Competition almost always improves the breed.  I know Jonah has been given a tough task, having not playing RT in about 7 years, but I believe he will overcome and perform in such a way that he gets the next big contract he is looking for.  
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 08:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's what I'm getting at, he's doing things that he would normally be doing had he not been injured, rather than something extraordinary to be marveled over.  We've always known that Williams is a strong guy, when the opportunity arises, I've seen him just latch on and shove defenders completely out of bounds, like they were on wheels.  Which is why I previously mentioned that strength is not his issue, he needs to perfect his footwork and handfighting skills in order to develop fully.

Okay, yeah, we’re on the same page then. It’s a consistency issue. Also, awesome stuff for you and your trading client. That’s a great squat, bonus points for his age. I work out with my FIL and he just hit 495 at 61. Fun stuff.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 08:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yall going to hate to hear this, but we still have to hope and root for Carman winning the RT job outright. It'll be great to secure the position through 2024. Still not knowing what we have in Carman is going to force a Tackle early next year in the draft. After Carman showing signs of life in the playoff's, it'll be a shame to never know if he could have been the answer.

With that said, may the best tackle win the job...... But it would be best if Carman could pull off the upset.

I don't hate to hear that, it is the truth that Carman playing great at RT this year is the best thing for the Bengals future.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 01:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And I hope Casear isn't insinuating Carman was a reason we lost the AFC Championship cause that sure wasn't the case.

What?   Carman's play vs KC was brought up as a reason for him to start I simply provided the proof that Jonah played better than Carman vs KC in the previous game with zero sacks, hurries and hits.    How in the world did you come to this conclusion?

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 01:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: As I suspected, it appears he was contacted by the coaches. So like I said, the truth is usually in the middle of most things. 

The coaches are not usually considered the FO.... maybe you consider them to be?

Reply/Quote

No team does that.  That makes zero sense.  Why in the world would a team contact a player telling him they are trying to replace him before a deal is finalized?  Regardless if the deal goes through or not you now have a pissed off player.   

After the trade there probably should have been some type of communication, and perhaps they considered the coaches were enough?

*updated

Reply/Quote
(06-14-2023, 04:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He says that now, but at the time he was balking at playing RT. I have to think not finding a team that wanted him for a LT bad enough to trade for him may have changed his tune. We'll never know for sure what transpired. I'd say just let the whole thing go.

Can someone please provide the evidence he was balking at playing RT?   The only thing we know is that he said it had nothing to do with RT.

The trade request is not evidence, he was replaced and not communicated with prior to that request.  

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 08:46 AM)jj22 Wrote: Yall going to hate to hear this, but we still have to hope and root for Carman winning the RT job outright. It'll be great to secure the position through 2024. Still not knowing what we have in Carman is going to force a Tackle early next year in the draft. After Carman showing signs of life in the playoff's, it'll be a shame to never know if he could have been the answer.

We still have LC next season so it isn't that extreme.  

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We still have LC next season so it isn't that extreme.  

If LC wasn't hurt he would have been cut this offseason. When "healthy" he can't practice majority if at all of a game week in the regular season. Sure he talks a good game (Burrow's bodyguard), but he has long been overrated around here. He isn't the future, and an expensive backup as it is.

The need for RT is that extreme if Carman can't unseat Williams. Think not? Think of all the RT"s we've had the last 7 years. Stopgap or otherwise. We need to save money on the line (since we are breaking the bank - supposedly - on receiver) and only way to do that is to nail a draft pick.

Nailing the Carman pick is extreme. It could be the difference in re-signing Tee or not.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: If LC wasn't hurt he would have been cut this offseason. Sure he talks a good game (Burrow's bodyguard), but he has long been overrated around here. He isn't the future, and an expensive backup as it is.

Lol, we have no idea what they would have done.  If LC wasn't hurt we likely wouldn't have gotten Orlando Brown.  LC has a very easy contract.

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2023, 01:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: LC has a very easy contract.

To get out of.... 

If he stays and plays he is still getting paid good.

Reply/Quote