Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonah squatted 600 lbs!
I’d gladly bet $1000 that Jonah is the starter.

Only way he doesn’t start is if he doesn’t heal properly or gets injured before the start of the season

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 08:52 AM)pally Wrote: Jonah is at camp this week even though he still has not been cleared for full participation.  He has been rehabbing incorporating RIGHT side moves.  He says he hasn’t played right tackle since his freshman year of college.

(06-13-2023, 08:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: Jonah all in on the RT move. Good to hear.

https://www.bengals.com/news/jonah-williams-on-verge-of-being-cleared-for-training-camp-with-knee-i-think-is-

Great stuff, we can put the Jonah diva talk to bed. His agent did the request, not his fault. Do your best Jonah to win the RT spot 
and it will make you a lot of money if you thrive there. Makes you much more valuable when you can play well on both sides.

Rock On

(06-13-2023, 09:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jonah's not dumb. He knows if he puts a good season on tape at RT, his value goes up exponentially as a player who can play either side, thus doubling his chances of being either re-signed or signed somewhere else.

Damn rights. Wink

(06-13-2023, 10:42 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s ready to go and engaged

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/report-jonah-williams-returns-to-cincinnati-for-mandatory-minicamp

Loving all of this. I think it will be some great competition at RT and that is all I want, let the best man win.

(06-13-2023, 12:15 PM)pally Wrote:

Got himself a man bun eh? lol

(06-13-2023, 01:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: If I had to bet right this minute on who's going to be our starting RT for game one I'd bet Williams as well. But my bet would be more like $10  Hilarious

There's a lot of peels to this onion. Carman has had his issues for sure. But he did come on pretty strong at the end of last season and it wouldn't totally blow me away if he won the starting RT spot or LG. When and if Collins comes back there's also that. 

I remember a couple talking heads really tooting Cody Ford's horn. Now that would shock me. I can't imagine Adenji or Smith starting at RT.

The only thing I can't help but wonder is how seriously did Williams burn his bridges with the trade request? 

It was Jonah's agent that did the trade request. Doubt there is any bridge burning with this team. 

I do like hearing this about Jonah, I was leaning more towards Carman as the starting RT before, but hey, open to the best man 
winning. Hopefully he can finally stay healthy and he plays great, that is all we all want with the entire OL.
Reply/Quote
Jonah's big issue was that he was blindsided by the Orlando Brown signing and that no one from the team even reached out to explain what was going on to him. Like in many a disgruntled situation bad communication is often the start of it. Oh and his daughter was born Mar 22, right around the same time all this was going down, so his stress level was already elevated esp after knee surgery too.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
You all need to be sitting down for this:
That’s on Zac. He’s the HC. Poor communication. Disappointed in him
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 03:38 PM)pally Wrote: Jonah's big issue was that he was blindsided by the Orlando Brown signing and that no one from the team even reached out to explain what was going on to him.  Like in many a disgruntled situation bad communication is often the start of it.  Oh and his daughter was born Mar 22, right around the same time all this was going down, so his stress level was already elevated esp after knee surgery too.

Great news to hear he has no issue playing RT AND will be cleared soon.  The lack of communication thing is I guess a knock on the FO but really the NFL is a business and I think Jonah got a bit of a taste of that.  At the end of the day you are being paid 13 million dollars for 1 season of work and its not always gonna be sunshine and rainbows from your employer.  I hope he kills it at RT for us. 

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 04:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You all need to be sitting down for this:

I agree I don't really like the sound of that and it's not the first time we've heard of them making moves like this with out much thought about the players involved. But Orlando Brown did reach out to the Bengals so the whole thing may have happened rather sudden and unexpectedly.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 04:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You all need to be sitting down for this:

Or grown man making millions of dollars need to nut up. Communication is important, mollycoddling isn’t. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 05:24 PM)wanga Wrote: Or grown man making millions of dollars need to nut up. Communication is important, mollycoddling isn’t. 

I don’t think anyone asked for mollycoddling. Jonah didn’t like what happened and requested a trade. It’s pretty standard. If my job moved me to a role that had a lower pay scale than my previous role, I would simply find a new job and quit. This is especially true if I wasn’t notified of this beforehand.

I’m glad they smoothed things over but based on the information we have so far, I fully support Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 05:24 PM)wanga Wrote: Or grown man making millions of dollars need to nut up. Communication is important, mollycoddling isn’t. 

I get that they didn’t call him before or even right away. But it didn’t sound like it was really at all
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Jonah is handling this like a pro. He could be like Stefon Diggs

But you prob can’t see any difference

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 08:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Little bit of revisionist history going on here:
Carman put off back surgery so he could play in the National Championship game, then came in post surgery. He was out of shape for sure, but you can't just disregard his back injury. 
Yes he had maturity issues, he was still a kid. 
Jonah, on the other hand (and this is not bashing Jonah, if he wins the spot so be it) was a first round pick who did not even make it through OTA's without a season ending injury, so locking a starting spot on day 1 is a pretty good stretch.
His second season he played all of 10 games before going on injured reserve again with a knee injury. So he played 10 games in his first two seasons. Never been beaten out, but is out A LOT for injury. 
Then last year he dislocated both kneecaps. What makes you think his knees are not going to be a recurring problem???

All fair points.  I will add on Carman's ledger that his team needed him to step up and play LT at Buffalo and at KC.  So, his first two starts in the NFL at LT were in the playoffs, and he held his own.

I see his trajectory pointing up.  Hope it works out for both guys.

I would imagine Jonah will look different than he did last year, with the bad added weight.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 12:40 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We won that game.

Yep, at home, and in the regular season.  Still came really close at KC with 3 backups starting on the offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 06:20 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Jonah is handling this like a pro. He could be like Stefon Diggs

But you prob can’t see any difference

He is, that’s my point Frankie.

But you probably couldn’t see that. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 05:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don’t think anyone asked for mollycoddling. Jonah didn’t like what happened and requested a trade. It’s pretty standard. If my job moved me to a role that had a lower pay scale than my previous role, I would simply find a new job and quit. This is especially true if I wasn’t notified of this beforehand.

I’m glad they smoothed things over but based on the information we have so far, I fully support Jonah.

That’s awesome. 
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 06:16 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I get that they didn’t call him before or even right away. But it didn’t sound like it was really at all

I’m sure they were in touch ‘in due course’. My point was a reactionary ‘I want a trade’ and then the obligatory backflip looks like he wants to be in on any trade/draft/signings that may affect him. Obviously that’s not his role, obviously he’s now acted like an adult and working hard like the well paid professional should do.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 05:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don’t think anyone asked for mollycoddling. Jonah didn’t like what happened and requested a trade. It’s pretty standard. If my job moved me to a role that had a lower pay scale than my previous role, I would simply find a new job and quit. This is especially true if I wasn’t notified of this beforehand.

I agree JW handled the situation well with all things considered. But would you truly do what you assert if they moved you because you weren't very good at your current job and didn't cut your pay?

I'm not sure I'd quit. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 07:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree JW handled the situation well with all things considered. But would you truly do what you assert if they moved you because you weren't very good at your current job and didn't cut your pay?

I'm not sure I'd quit. 

If I truly knew I wasn’t good? No, I probably wouldn’t. I would feel thankful they didn’t just fire me. However, many people overestimate how good they are at something and won’t readily admit that they are subpar.

BRB calling my boss.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 08:09 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: If I truly knew I wasn’t good? No, I probably wouldn’t. I would feel thankful they didn’t just fire me. However, many people overestimate how good they are at something and won’t readily admit that they are subpar.

BRB calling my boss.

Hopefully, it's not too late to recant that 2-weeks notice..

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 07:48 PM)wanga Wrote: He is, that’s my point Frankie.

But you probably couldn’t see that. 

you said jonah needs to nut up

dont tell me what I cant read

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2023, 08:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you said jonah needs to nut up

dont tell me what I cant read

I'm sure you can read, but I will say contractions are not your strong point.

Reply/Quote