Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jordan Evans
I know, it was preseason game #4 and a lot of those guys will not make NFL rosters, but did everyone see what Jordan Evans was doing yesterday?

Defended screen passes for a loss. Stuffed the run at the LOS. Made six tackles in essentially one quarter.

The guy can flat-out ball. I think he should start over Vinny Rey. With Burfict out for three games, I think the defense needs more speed out there and he has shown great instincts.

Vigil and Evans in the nickel? Base with Minter as MIKE, Vigil as SAM, and Evans at WILL?

I think Evans deserves the shot in these three games. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's hard to believe he was never invited to the combine.

This years draft class is looking like it has some serious potential.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:55 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It's hard to believe he was never invited to the combine.

This years draft class is looking like it has some serious potential.

Man, I didn't even mention Malone, Glasgow, and Elliott.  

I can't remember a draft class, ever, where one draft has had so many players contribute in their rookie season.  

Ross (please be ok Pray)
Mixon
Willis
Lawson
Malone
Glasgow
Elliott
Evans (he deserves to be starting over Vinny Rey at WILL during Burfict's suspension)

That is downright amazing.  
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know, it was preseason game #4 and a lot of those guys will not make NFL rosters, but did everyone see what Jordan Evans was doing yesterday?  

Defended screen passes for a loss.  Stuffed the run at the LOS.  Made six tackles in essentially one quarter.

The guy can flat-out ball.  I think he should start over Vinny Rey.  With Burfict out for three games, I think the defense needs more speed out there and he has shown great instincts.  

Vigil and Evans in the nickel?  Base with Minter as MIKE, Vigil as SAM, and Evans at WILL?  

I think Evans deserves the shot in these three games.  Thoughts?

Evans looked really good but who calls the defense. Minter is new and won't be in nickle situations. Vigil's firat year starting and Evans is a rookie.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:01 AM)Synric Wrote: Evans looked really good but who calls the defense. Minter is new and won't be in nickle situations. Vigil's firat year starting and Evans is a rookie.

I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered something about Iloka making the calls?

Good question, though.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Man, I didn't even mention Malone, Glasgow, and Elliott.  

I can't remember a draft class, ever, where one draft has had so many players contribute in their rookie season.  

Ross (please be ok Pray)
Mixon
Willis
Lawson
Malone
Glasgow
Elliott
Evans (he deserves to be starting over Vinny Rey at WILL during Burfict's suspension)

You sure you want to? 57.1%

That aside, we go through this song-and-dance at the end of every preseason about how great of a draft class it'll be. Then regular season hits and your Michael Johnsons, Domata Pekos, and Rey Maualugas will be playing, and most of your rookies will be sitting and eventually fade into obscurity.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You sure you want to? 57.1%

That aside, we go through this song-and-dance at the end of every preseason about how great of a draft class it'll be. Then regular season hits and your Michael Johnsons, Domata Pekos, and Rey Maualugas will be playing, and most of your rookies will be sitting and eventually fade into obscurity.

Who's we?

This isn't something I do year after year. Good or bad I reserve my judgement opposed to quickly labeling players.

I don't see anything wrong with feeling excited about the potential of our draft class.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:26 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Who's we?

This isn't something I do year after year. Good or bad I reserve my judgement opposed to quickly labeling players.

I don't see anything wrong with feeling excited about the potential of our draft class.

Don't ruin his usual doom and gloom narrative. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know, it was preseason game #4 and a lot of those guys will not make NFL rosters, but did everyone see what Jordan Evans was doing yesterday?  

Defended screen passes for a loss.  Stuffed the run at the LOS.  Made six tackles in essentially one quarter.

The guy can flat-out ball.  I think he should start over Vinny Rey.  With Burfict out for three games, I think the defense needs more speed out there and he has shown great instincts.  

Vigil and Evans in the nickel?  Base with Minter as MIKE, Vigil as SAM, and Evans at WILL?  

I think Evans deserves the shot in these three games.  Thoughts?
I like Evans and have since his 1st preseason game. He was everywhere! I'm probably sure though ML will have Vinny there to be that calming vet during the game. He might be slow but he knows this defense like the back of his hand. I would also make the case of moving Vinny to the middle and let Evans play Will. I see Minter going backwards to much. Not all that impressed with him. Someday someway we'll draft a MLB.....
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Man, I didn't even mention Malone, Glasgow, and Elliott.  

Ross (please be ok Pray)
Mixon
Willis
Lawson
Malone
Glasgow
Elliott

Let's hope those guys play well against the 1st stringers.  There should be a ton of depth with these guys moving forward.  Something we've lacked for a year or two.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 11:59 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Don't ruin his usual doom and gloom narrative. 

The San Diego playoff game broke my optimism switch. The Pittsburgh playoff game poured gas on the switch, burned it to ashes, and proceeded to pee all over those ashes.   :andy:

Maybe I will get around to ordering a new one when it's actually shown to be needed.

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The San Diego playoff game broke my optimism switch. The Pittsburgh playoff game poured gas on the switch, burned it to ashes, and proceeded to pee all over those ashes.   :andy:

Maybe I will get around to ordering a new one when it's actually shown to be needed.

I hope you do my friend!
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I hope you do my friend!

In the mean time, though... if I can't be happy, nobody can!

[Image: cinfum.0.0.gif]

- - - - - -- - - - -

Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:13 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I hope you do my friend!

[Image: wdr_balloon.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Ross (please be ok Pray)
Mixon
Willis
Lawson
Malone
Glasgow
Elliott

Don't forget Brandon Wilson. I'm hoping he makes the team. I know he hasn't shown anything yet due to injury but he can be our Peppers. The guy is a Swiss knife who I think we can use on offense/ Defense and ST. He could be our st ace with Peerman out.

On a side note, I know they didn't want McCarron to get hurt which is why they went full Williams ball, but man give the line some pass blocking reps, and receivers trying to make a case. Just thought it was a little shady. But my question is, is Carson hurt? He's pretty entertaining to watch. Would have been ok with him getting those reps over Williams ( even though it was shady) just curious why he didn't play. Is he our ST ace already.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 10:02 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered something about Iloka making the calls?

Good question, though.

It's the run fits. I remmeber in 2014 they had alot of injuries at LB and Lamar was forced to make sure the front 7 was lined up right against the Patriots. Brady and Belicheat made them look like a high school team. Im pretty sure the Patriots had well over 100 rushing yards in the first half it was ugh...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Ross (please be ok Pray)
Mixon
Willis
Lawson
Malone
Glasgow
Elliott

For all the hype Mixon and Lawson were getting, Willis has quietly been the most impressive rookie this whole preseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For all the hype Mixon and Lawson were getting, Willis has quietly been the most impressive rookie this whole preseason.

Yea it is kind of interesting. I think Willis has shown well enough in the run game too that he could start. I think some of the injuries and the fact he has been able to rush decently from inside saved Johnson for the year.

As for Evans the staff really liked him and he has shown so far to have a good nose for getting to the right spot. I think sometimes people discount him because of where he was drafted, but it is not unusual for 4-3 OLB to come out of the mid to late rounds because of the value teams put on the position in the grand scheme of things.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2017, 12:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: For all the hype Mixon and Lawson were getting, Willis has quietly been the most impressive rookie this whole preseason.

Willis is shaping up to look like a 3 down player.  And I'm not trying to discount what Mixon and Lawson have shown, by saying that.  I really see Mixon being the future at RB, and Lawson will be a strong role player.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Michael Johnson n vinney rey will be starting for us which is really really sad. Especially when Willis n Evans are a million times better. But what do i know, n how dare i question our coaches. After all its 26 years without a playoffs win. Fml
Reply/Quote