Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joseph Ossai Possible Break Out 2024? Other Bengal Breakout candidates?
(03-27-2024, 08:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I read somewhere Ossai was hurt a lot of the last 2 years. He showed good pash rushing skills in 2022. Can he be a breakout candidate in 2024? I think he also on the last year of his contract.

Thoughts?

Best thing I could see with Ossai is becoming like Carl Lawson - any oft-injured but somewhat productive pass rusher when healthy. Never a world beater.

I think on the defense, Murphy will surpass Ossai in snaps and has a better chance to break out.
If we're not factoring in someone from the upcoming draft, then whoever out of Hill or Turner emerges as the starting outside CB (assuming one of them gets it).

For offense, I think Chase Brown, Andrei Iosivas, or Charlie Jones has the best chance to break out.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 02:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Best thing I could see with Ossai is becoming like Carl Lawson - any oft-injured but somewhat productive pass rusher when healthy. Never a world beater.

I think on the defense, Murphy will surpass Ossai in snaps and has a better chance to break out.
If we're not factoring in someone from the upcoming draft, then whoever out of Hill or Turner emerges as the starting outside CB (assuming one of them gets it).

For offense, I think Chase Brown, Andrei Iosivas, or Charlie Jones has the best chance to break out.

Same expectation I have for Ossai now sadly. Murphy is my guy to breakout on Defense and on Offense it is Iosivas myself.

Love Chase Brown but I think Zack Moss and whoever we Draft will take a lot of his snaps. Tee is banged up a lot and Iosivas is smart
and will work his ass off this offseason, Jake Browning missed him on at least a couple long TD's last year. I bet Andres really works on 
his pass catching and route running. But this is all for now and before the Draft, all this could change.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same expectation I have for Ossai now sadly. Murphy is my guy to breakout on Defense and on Offense it is Iosivas myself.

Love Chase Brown but I think Zack Moss and whoever we Draft will take a lot of his snaps. Tee is banged up a lot and Iosivas is smart
and will work his ass off this offseason, Jake Browning missed him on at least a couple long TD's last year. I bet Andres really works on 
his pass catching and route running. But this is all for now and before the Draft, all this could change.

Ossai will compete against Sample for backup snaps and 3rd down snaps.

I am hopeful Murphy breaks out as well. Yoshi did great for a late round pick at WR.

We need a couple of guys to break out on defense to team with a couple of key contributors via the draft.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same expectation I have for Ossai now sadly. Murphy is my guy to breakout on Defense and on Offense it is Iosivas myself.

I agree with Murphy, if we are talking players currently on the team. Hoping he has the break out kind of year that makes it hard to start Hubbard ahead of him.

Also like Zack Moss to break out as well, as he seems to be a better fit and a banger who falls forward.

Iosivas has a lot of ground to overcome and people to leapfrog, IMO. Hopefully he turns into a better contributor on third downs and the redzone this season and continues to build.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 10:24 AM)J24 Wrote: Dax Hill was a first RD pick and was one of the best NB in the draft the year he  was drafted. Also he excells in man coverage, excellent Blitzer, and is an excellent run stopper.  

Mike Hilton is 30 years old and struggles in man coverage as is. Putting Dax at Nickle gives the Bengals more scheme versatility.

Dax is 3 inches taller and much faster than Hilton. Just because the coaches played Dax out of position last year at free safety does not mean the guy cannot play. I agree I think Dax can beat Hilton out if given the chance.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 05:06 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Dax is 3 inches taller and much faster than Hilton. Just because the coaches played Dax out of position last year at free safety does not mean the guy cannot play. I agree I think Dax can beat Hilton out if given the chance.

ok he's more athletic than Hilton. Doesnt make him a better slot corner. Especially since Hilton has more experience at slot

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 05:13 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: ok he's more athletic than Hilton. Doesnt make him a better slot corner. Especially since Hilton has more experience at slot

NFL experience, yes.
But Hill played a lot of slot in college, IIRC, so it's not like it's a brand new position to him.
Hill actually had more experience at CB and SS in college compared to FS. Bengals (and many analysts and fans) thought Hill's athletic profile made sense for a transition to FS even if he didn't have experience there.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I love Brown and, while I wouldn't mind him seeing a bigger role with Moss and whoever we draft, I like his role as a change of pace back and I think he can also offer us something on third downs or any other down as a receiver. 

Keep him fresh and make defenses have different game defensive schemes for when he's in the game.

I do think it would be a mistake to draft someone early because we have Moss for two years and then we can let Brown take over as the main guy.
Reply/Quote
I like the guys who are higher on the depth chart for breakout candidates:

1) CTB
2) Turner
3) Murphy
4) Battle
5) C. Brown
6) Volson
------------
7) C. Jones
8) Iosivas
9) D. Hill
10) Ossai
11) Robbins
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 05:06 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Dax is 3 inches taller and much faster than Hilton. Just because the coaches played Dax out of position last year at free safety does not mean the guy cannot play. I agree I think Dax can beat Hilton out if given the chance.

I don't know about "beat him out..", but I would like to see Dax get some good reps at slot CB, just to see if he might ever have a chance at filling Hilton's shoes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 04:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Ossai will compete against Sample for backup snaps and 3rd down snaps.

I am hopeful Murphy breaks out as well. Yoshi did great for a late round pick at WR.

We need a couple of guys to break out on defense to team with a couple of key contributors via the draft.

After cuts as well we could grab another contributor whether that be a NT, Corner or whatever.

(04-03-2024, 05:04 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: I agree with Murphy, if we are talking players currently on the team. Hoping he has the break out kind of year that makes it hard to start Hubbard ahead of him.

Also like Zack Moss to break out as well, as he seems to be a better fit and a banger who falls forward.

Iosivas has a lot of ground to overcome and people to leapfrog, IMO. Hopefully he turns into a better contributor on third downs and the redzone this season and continues to build.

I think with Murphy he could take some of Hendrickson's early running down snaps and take some of Hubbard's passing down 
snaps, that is what is nice about Murphy, he is a better run stopper than Trey already. 

At this moment Iosivas doesn't have near as much to leapfrog, we will see who we draft and if we trade Tee to really see how 
much. All I know is he definitely shows a lot of fight, he is smart and his athleticism and size are pretty incredible.

(04-03-2024, 06:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I love Brown and, while I wouldn't mind him seeing a bigger role with Moss and whoever we draft, I like his role as a change of pace back and I think he can also offer us something on third downs or any other down as a receiver. 

Keep him fresh and make defenses have different game defensive schemes for when he's in the game.

I do think it would be a mistake to draft someone early because we have Moss for two years and then we can let Brown take over as the main guy.

Love Chase Brown myself, also don't think we should draft a RB any earlier than the 3rd round, but hey, lot's of good one's should 
be available from there on out. Nothing wrong with more competition in the RB room and would be nice to get a bit bigger of a RB
as our RB room is really small right now. A little size could help in short yardage and for spelling Moss and Brown.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 05:13 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: ok he's more athletic than Hilton. Doesnt make him a better slot corner. Especially since Hilton has more experience at slot

Hilton is 30 years old and has lost a step he got beat over and over again in a game last year. Dax is taller faster and plays close to the line of scrim a hell of a lot better than he can play free safety.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 12:13 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Hilton is 30 years old and has lost a step he got beat over and over again in a game last year. Dax is taller faster and plays close to the line of scrim a hell of a lot better than he can play free safety.

“Beat over and over”

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2024, 12:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “Beat over and over”

Uh, yeah, keep Mike Hilton around for at least this year so Daxton Hill can learn from him. Dude knows how to use his little body as 
good as any Corner in the NFL.
Reply/Quote