Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Doctson
Have not been around for awhile but as many of you from the previous board know I absolutely love the draft.

If this has been discussed please delete or merge mods.

Just wondering what I am missing on Josh Doctson? I have watched every piece of film I can find on him and do not see his downside. His build and tenacity remind me much of, do I dare say it, Chad Johnson. Sure he needs to clean up route running but that can be stated of virtually every WR coming out of college.

Yes I know the history of the Bengals is to take the WR high in the first or outside of he first but I have to say I would not be upset if he was the selection at 24. I do not think receiver is a must for us and I as well would have no problem with a NT type DT or CB, however, I would not mind the Doctson selection at all.

What do you draft junkies think?
Reply/Quote
Josh Docston is a great overall receiver. When looking at his numbers this season when it comes to contested balls and such, Docston ranks pretty high. He fights for the ball and is a very polished wide receiver. He caught 20 of 37 contested balls, which is over 50% and one of the very few receivers to do so. His route running is very underrated, and he has very nimble feet. He also creates separation and was a beast in the 10-19 yards down the field area. He caught 83% of passes thrown his way in that field. For comparison, Coleman caught 56% and Treadwell 54%. Docston has a very similar playing style to that of DeAndre Hopkins when you look at it and even compare tape. Docston's route running sets him apart from every other receiver in this draft and it's not even close. Throw in his reliable hands and the Bengals could wind up with an even better duo that AJ Green and Marvin Jones. Docston has talent. He's not elite in every aspect by any means, but he's very good at many and has very few flaws.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 06:51 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Josh Docston is a great overall receiver. When looking at his numbers this season when it comes to contested balls and such, Docston ranks pretty high. He fights for the ball and is a very polished wide receiver. He caught 20 of 37 contested balls, which is over 50% and one of the very few receivers to do so. His route running is very underrated, and he has very nimble feet. He also creates separation and was a beast in the 10-19 yards down the field area. He caught 83% of passes thrown his way in that field. For comparison, Coleman caught 56% and Treadwell 54%. Docston has a very similar playing style to that of DeAndre Hopkins when you look at it and even compare tape. Docston's route running sets him apart from every other receiver in this draft and it's not even close. Throw in his reliable hands and the Bengals could wind up with an even better duo that AJ Green and Marvin Jones. Docston has talent. He's not elite in every aspect by any means, but he's very good at many and has very few flaws.

These thoughts were almost mine exactly as I was watching film on this kid. I love his tenacity going after the ball. As well, while he may not be an outstanding run blocker he is effective and gives effort.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 07:03 PM)OSUfan Wrote: These thoughts were almost mine exactly as I was watching film on this kid. I love his tenacity going after the ball. As well, while he may not be an outstanding run blocker he is effective and gives effort.

Not to worry about blocking, that can be taught.  A player can become very motivated to learn to block well, if it means getting on the field quicker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
poor man's AJ green. Tall and sure handed. No one should be disappointed if we draft him, but something tells me vikings pick him up.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
My Doctson summary from my profile:

Quote:there’s a sense of effortlessness in his movements, in his fluidity, that you see from guys who’re simply just better than the opposition, guys who can take over games. reminiscent of a slightly shorter A.J., the way he goes after balls, expertly high points, quick and sudden footwork, blocking, it all feels similar, obviously not as refined as a route runner or breaking press, but the potential is there, get in your face type, multiple occasions of face to face smack after the play, shows great competitiveness but need to keep composure at certain times, I see no real glaring weakness, has plenty of experience, production, natural ability and explosive athleticism, floor of mid tiered #2 with the ceiling of a consistently productive #1
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 07:28 PM)Stormborn Wrote: My Doctson summary from my profile:

I would consider this a very fair and accurate assessment of what I saw watching film on him.
Reply/Quote
I like Doctson. i guess i am nitpicking. But he is 23. Treadwell is only 20. Not sure what weight the Bengals place on that.

And again, I will say it. I like Doctson. But in other years is he a first rounder? He might be the best of a weak class, of what certainly revealed itself at the combine.
Reply/Quote
If he falls to 24, I'd be elated with the pick. I see nothing not to like about him.

But there will be more BPAs at other positions. Do we break with tradition and draft according to most glaring need? We're only three days away from finding out.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
To me, Doctson would be a fine pick. I might be a little torn if both he and Coleman were available, only because Coleman brings a pretty different package to the table.

If the Bengals believe that Alford really has it as a receiver with deep speed and dependable hands, then, ok, go with Doctson. If not, then Coleman becomes tempting because he runs 4.37 and is known for lightning fast cuts. We have AJ Green, Lafell and Eifert. They are all taller receivers with great hands. Coleman is just a little more of a different problem for a defense.

I know nobody is really like Green or Eifert, but Doctson seems a little more like them, while Coleman would be really different.

In the end, I like both Doctson and Coleman a whole lot.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 06:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Have not been around for awhile but as many of you from the previous board know I absolutely love the draft.

Just wondering what I am missing on Josh Doctson? I have watched every piece of film I can find on him and do not see his downside. His build and tenacity remind me much of, do I dare say it, Chad Johnson. Sure he needs to clean up route running but that can be stated of virtually every WR coming out of college.

Yes I know the history of the Bengals is to take the WR high in the first or outside of he first but I have to say I would not be upset if he was the selection at 24. I do not think receiver is a must for us and I as well would have no problem with a NT type DT or CB, however, I would not mind the Doctson selection at all.

Did you have like 30,000 posts at Bengals.com forum? I think i heavily disliked you haha. However i agree with you here (cringe.)

I very much like Josh Doctson, however i think he is mentally weak. He gave up a full ride scholarship because he was homesick http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/03/31/nfl-draft-2016-josh-doctson-tcu-wyoming and had no good plan B. He was very fortunate to end up at TCU. Plus this articlle makes me think that if he starts off badly, or gets hurt (knock on wood) it could easily negatively alter his career.

Plus I don't see how he gets past the Vikings. He is the perfect fit for them, i think they would take him over any other WR, though i wouldnt be too surprised if they took treadwell. If you really want Doctson the only way would be if someone the Vikings could not possibly pass up on is there (though barring it being an OT we would prefer they fall to us).

Plus if you check Doctson's twitter account he is "favoriting" almost exclusively vikings fans tweets, making me think he thinks he is going to the vikings.
Reply/Quote
I love Doctson, he and billings, have been my two favorite prospects for us for several months now. He is clearly the most well rounded WR prospect in the class. He doesn't have the blazing speed of a coleman or fuller which is why many people want one of those guys which is understandable, but i think Doctson would be a perfect fit for us. Speed wise he may not be a lightening quick guy, but he ran a 4.5 sec 40, Marvin Jones ran a 4.46, and AJ Green ran an identical 4.5 so its not like he is slow. Great routes, at jump balls and body control, physical, good hands. Not much to dislike about the kid, i think his floor is a solid #2 WR and ceiling is a decent #1.

I think he could be very good for us this year, and a year or 2 later be every bit the receiver jones was.
Reply/Quote
I was in love with Doctson at first. Then i tried to talk myself out of it because of the age. But i think it was really because in the back of my mind i knew he wouldnt even be an option.

Treadwell scares me. Sure you can point to some greats with slow 40s. But how many guys didnt make it because they were too slow.

A midget from notre dame that struggles to catch the ball but runs really fast sounds like an old Al Davis pick.

Coleman scares me because of the system he is coming out of. 20 TDs intrigues the hell out of me. But they have been putting up stats at Baylor for awhile. And im drawing a blank on stud Baylor players.

Doctson just seems like the total package. I dont see how he isnt the first one drafted.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 01:33 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I was in love with Doctson at first. Then i tried to talk myself out of it because of the age. But i think it was really because in the back of my mind i knew he wouldnt even be an option.

Treadwell scares me. Sure you can point to some greats with slow 40s. But how many guys didnt make it because they were too slow.

A midget from notre dame that struggles to catch the ball but runs really fast sounds like an old Al Davis pick.

Coleman scares me because of the system he is coming out of. 20 TDs intrigues the hell out of me. But they have been putting up stats at Baylor for awhile. And im drawing a blank on stud Baylor players.

Doctson just seems like the total package. I dont see how he isnt the first one drafted.

6 feet tall is a midget?
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 02:20 AM)Mint Berry Crunch Wrote: 6 feet tall is a midget?

Midget was the wrong word. Shoulda said frail or slight. I feel like the majority of NFL CBs would wreck him. Cant imagine what a LB would do to him.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 03:00 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Midget was the wrong word. Shoulda said frail or slight. I feel like the majority of NFL CBs would wreck him. Cant imagine what a LB would do to him.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I agree with you that Doctson is the best receiver this year. I'd be very happy with him or Treadwell in the first, but I have a feeling they'll go defense. Which would also make me happy.
Reply/Quote
Hey OSUfan!

Doctson has seemed like our best option for a while, for many of the reasons stated.

As an aside, what does Treadwell show that Mike Thomas doesn't? I've been curious why he is rarely mentioned in the same breath, and it's not Treadwell's measurables...
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2016, 07:30 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Hey OSUfan!

Doctson has seemed like our best option for a while, for many of the reasons stated.

As an aside, what does Treadwell show that Mike Thomas doesn't? I've been curious why he is rarely mentioned in the same breath, and it's not Treadwell's measurables...

Michael Thomas has never reached 800 receiving yards nor double digit TDs in a season. Treadwell has reached 1000+ yards and double-digit TDs this past season. So there's a little bit of worry that Thomas' talent will stay as potential and not result in production down the road.

Granted, the fact that OSU has a run-first offense and tries to spread the ball around in the passing game, it still can make people wonder why he wasn't able to hit those milestones if he was so good to be considered a first round pick. Plus, OSU hasn't really produced great NFL WRs in awhile (none since Meyer came on since verdict is still out on Devin Smith).

As a comparison, both OBJ and Landry reached 1000+ yards and double-digit TDs their final year at LSU. And Landry was selected at the end of the second round in the 2014 draft. Granted, that was a stacked WR class so Landry probably would be around an early second round pick if he were in this year's class, but still.

Does Michael Thomas look to be as good as Jarvis Landry? I'm not sure.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 06:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Have not been around for awhile but as many of you from the previous board know I absolutely love the draft.

Great to see you OSU !  I agree with your analysis. But I won't object to taking a DT or Corner if they are the higher player on the Bengals board.
Reply/Quote
I will also add that Docton is my favorite WR prospect in this class. He's got sufficient speed and size to stay on the outside. His hands, leaping ability, and toughness can allow him to also play inside. The things he needs to work on are very coachable (route crispness, learning an expanded route tree, blocking).

While Doctson doesn't have next-level breakaway speed like Coleman or Fuller, he might be the safest WR in this draft class.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote