Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Josh Gordon
(10-01-2016, 04:06 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Winning could do a lot with changing focus.

We only signed Lafell for this season. I'd claim him off waivers and alllow him to finish rehab Then next year we would have the best 1-2 receiver combo in NFL history.

Except he obviously does not want to put the pipe down....
Reply/Quote
Yep I would get to it quick before the pats,Steelers, or broncos get to him this season and hes making plays for them. Since we aren't using boyd much and they won't activate core over James wright. I think that would be a Superbowl type of move. He's very talented and was said to be up there with green a couple years ago. I think this is a good environment for him. Also we've had stoner Jerome Simpson here for a few years, and he's no gordan. This could be another gift from Jackson if the Bengals make the call.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 04:06 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Winning could do a lot with changing focus.

We only signed Lafell for this season. I'd claim him off waivers and alllow him to finish rehab Then next year we would have the best 1-2 receiver combo in NFL history.

This. The guy is putting life on pause and pulling himself away from work. I think thats a sign of a man who wants to figure out what his priorities in life should be. I'm all in for it. Whats the worst that happens? You are the last team to give him a chance and some other teams fans call us "bungals" on the boards for a week? ESPN says "Bengals at it again," for a guy with Gordon's hilariously high talent level and ceiling, I think you take a shot. Its worth a week of bad press.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 03:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: Rehab is way over rated because there's really only one way to kick bad habits and it doesn't come from rehab programs. It boils down to desire. You either want the change in your life or you don't. My own experience with rehabs..they primarily try to guilt you into a lot of BS that has little to nothing to do with the issues in your life. 
I changed my life because I wanted to change it, not because some hack behind a desk in a rehab ever did a damned thing. To this day I don't know a single person who ever changed their lives because of rehab and I've been in more than a few. I do know a lot of people who wanted to change their lives and did, but rehab isn't why.. 

My wife went to rehab 13 years ago and has been clean and sober since. She wanted to get sober and got help. Still goes to meetings. What works for you may not be the answer for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 03:09 AM)grampahol Wrote: Rehab is way over rated because there's really only one way to kick bad habits and it doesn't come from rehab programs. It boils down to desire. You either want the change in your life or you don't. My own experience with rehabs..they primarily try to guilt you into a lot of BS that has little to nothing to do with the issues in your life. 
I changed my life because I wanted to change it, not because some hack behind a desk in a rehab ever did a damned thing. To this day I don't know a single person who ever changed their lives because of rehab and I've been in more than a few. I do know a lot of people who wanted to change their lives and did, but rehab isn't why.. 

Rehab can help... Addiction is about 20% mental and 80% behavior.  You know you want to stop but Need to change your behavior.  Doesn't work for all... But definitely isn't a bad option especially if this was his choice'omnbis own free will.  He is only 25 so def still a kid. 

Pacman didn't "get it" until 28?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Accordint to Mary Kay Cabot, he is in rehab for alcohol

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/02/report-josh-gordon-checked-into-rehab-for-an-alcohol-problem/

It looks like he's traded one vice for another. If that's the case, his problems are far worse than anyone believed.
Reply/Quote
^Yeah i said that a page back.

I'd still sniff around though because HE, put himself there. HE, wants help.

Edit:
And he didn't "trade" anything. Those 2 vices went hand in hand with the alcohol most likely leading the way because unlike pot that shit is highly addictive and totally ***** up your judgment.

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:05 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: ^Yeah i said that a page back.

I'd still sniff around though because HE, put himself there. HE, wants help.

Edit:
And he didn't "trade" anything. Those 2 vices went hand in hand with the alcohol most likely leading the way because unlike pot that shit is highly addictive and totally ***** up your judgment.

He put the pipe down, as evidenced by regular tests coming up negative.  But he clearly wasn't sober as evidenced by entering rehab. Leads me to believe he felt he would be fine because it is not illegal, but that clearly wasn't the case. Therefore he has an addictive personality and it is going to be a continual issue.

By the way, they both totally eff up judgement.  And I smoked regularly for over 15 years, so don't try to tell me otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2016, 04:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. This felt like Gordon's last shot. Sad really.

The mental addiction with pot is strong for some people.

Or he is telling the truth and needs it for anxiety.  Marijuana is legal for medical reasons in OH.  Cannabis has helped thousands of people including children with rare forms of epilepsy.  It helps thousands of veterans with PTSD (something I know personally).  In many cases it's the only thing that helps.  But we as a society believe the BS that Hearst and his timber interests put out to make sure they never had to compete with hemp.  Just think of where we would be if they had allowed research into cannabis. But no it's evil and everyone who uses it is a criminal we should lock up.  Want a beer?
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:49 PM)bengalbiff Wrote:
Or he is telling the truth and needs it for anxiety.  Marijuana is legal for medical reasons in OH.
 Cannabis has helped thousands of people including children with rare forms of epilepsy.  It helps thousands of veterans with PTSD (something I know personally).  In many cases it's the only thing that helps.  But we as a society believe the BS that Hearst and his timber interests put out to make sure they never had to compete with hemp.  Just think of where we would be if they had allowed research into cannabis. But no it's evil and everyone who uses it is a criminal we should lock up.  Want a beer?

And therefore could have been diagnosed by a doctor to receive a prescription, but did not.  He did not take the one path that could give him a valid argument for it.  So that probably is not the case.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:48 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: He put the pipe down, as evidenced by regular tests coming up negative.  But he clearly wasn't sober as evidenced by entering rehab.  Leads me to believe he felt he would be fine because it is not illegal, but that clearly wasn't the case.  Therefore he has an addictive personality and it is going to be a continual issue.

By the way, they both totally eff up judgement.  And I smoked regularly for over 15 years, so don't try to tell me otherwise.

What if science tells you different?  We won't know for a while because they haven't allowed actual cannabis research until very recently.  There are SSRIs that can cause aggression in some patients should we get rid of that class of drugs because some people respond negatively to them?  As for the alcohol that happens when people can't get the medication they need.  They self medicate with something far more dangerous.  Thankfully medical marijuana is now legal in OH.  I'm sure there are people mad about that.  People will be able to get the medication they need without being state criminals. Oh what a horrible thing. 
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And therefore could have been diagnosed by a doctor to receive a prescription, but did not.  He did not take the one path that could give him a valid argument for it.  So that probably is not the case.

Actually he couldn't have.  The law didn't go into effect until late September and there still aren't places to get it.   I also doubt the NFL will care as long as the Fed's classify it as having no medical use.  So people will still be punished for using a substance that helps them and is safe.  But hey their brains are still being damaged and they can always take some team doctor prescribed narcotic pain pills and wash them down with some scotch.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:57 PM)bengalbiff Wrote: What if science tells you different?  We won't know for a while because they haven't allowed actual cannabis research until very recently.  There are SSRIs that can cause aggression in some patients should we get rid of that class of drugs because some people respond negatively to them?  As for the alcohol that happens when people can't get the medication they need.  They self medicate with something far more dangerous.  Thankfully medical marijuana is now legal in OH.  I'm sure there are people mad about that.  People will be able to get the medication they need without being state criminals. Oh what a horrible thing. 

But it has been studied in the US and other countries for a long time.  It has been proven in studies to be helpful for a number of things, and also been proven in studies to damage the lungs and memory.  The merits for an individual need to be weighed case by case.  But someone on a rookie NFL contract has the means to travel to see any doctor willing to diagnose them and write a prescription.  He easily could have done it in the over the course of the last year while he was suspended.  He chose not to take that option, so it really must be disregarded that it is a medical need for him.  If it were truly medical need, he could get the diagnosis and prescription and take it to the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:05 PM)bengalbiff Wrote: Actually he couldn't have.  The law didn't go into effect until late September and there still aren't places to get it.   I also doubt the NFL will care as long as the Fed's classify it as having no medical use.  So people will still be punished for using a substance that helps them and is safe.  But hey their brains are still being damaged and they can always take some team doctor prescribed narcotic pain pills and wash them down with some scotch.  

Are you aware that there are US citizens who have prescriptions for marijuana that receive their marijuana from the Federal government?  They are permitted to smoke anywhere on US soil that they entered legally (and does not create a safety hazard due to combustion, etc).
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But it has been studied in the US and other countries for a long time.  It has been proven in studies to be helpful for a number of things, and also been proven in studies to damage the lungs and memory.  The merits for an individual need to be weighed case by case.  But someone on a rookie NFL contract has the means to travel to see any doctor willing to diagnose them and write a prescription.  He easily could have done it in the over the course of the last year while he was suspended.  He chose not to take that option, so it really must be disregarded that it is a medical need for him.  If it were truly medical need, he could get the diagnosis and prescription and take it to the NFL.

No it hasn't.  Federal prohibition has prevented large scale peer reviewed research into cannabis and it possible applications.  Look it up.  You can say this and that but you're strangely not citing anything.  I will.  Noonan, D.  2016. Scientists want the Smoke to clear on Medical Marijuana Research.  Scientific American. 15 April 2016.  On the very top it says the DEA refused to reclassify it but would lessen restrictions on research.  The rest speaks about how the restrictions have affected research in the past.

This is all wholly off topic so this will be my last post about it.  But just think about all the potential treatments we have ignored for decades because cannabis has been classified with Heroin.  It's pretty ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Are you aware that there are US citizens who have prescriptions for marijuana that receive their marijuana from the Federal government?  They are permitted to smoke anywhere on US soil that they entered legally (and does not create a safety hazard due to combustion, etc).

[Image: fXCUz27.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:48 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: [Image: fXCUz27.jpg]

From what I can find there are 8 people in that program.  The federal government classifies cannabis as a schedule 1 narcotic with no accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse and addiction.  The only places you can go see a doctor and get prescribed marijuana are those states that have legislated for medical marijuana.  Those patients are still at risk for being fired from their jobs and being prosecuted by federal authorities.  So there was no way to get a prescription like this guy is suggesting that would have saved his job.  And that is completely stupid.  Not only do we punish adults for using cannabis recreationally we also go after people who use it as prescribed by a doctor and that completely ignores all the possible medical uses that have went undiscovered because of prohibition.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:59 PM)bengalbiff Wrote: From what I can find there are 8 people in that program.  The federal government classifies cannabis as a schedule 1 narcotic with no accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse and addiction.  The only places you can go see a doctor and get prescribed marijuana are those states that have legislated for medical marijuana.  Those patients are still at risk for being fired from their jobs and being prosecuted by federal authorities.  So there was no way to get a prescription like this guy is suggesting that would have saved his job.  And that is completely stupid.  Not only do we punish adults for using cannabis recreationally we also go after people who use it as prescribed by a doctor and that completely ignores all the possible medical uses that have went undiscovered because of prohibition.  

Which includes 25 states and Washington D.C.

So he could go to doctor's in 50% of the country looking for a diagnosis and prescription.

During his suspension, he spent a lot of time in California, where it's been legal since 1996.

There are plenty of legal means to get the card, and he had access to all of them.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 03:44 PM)bengalbiff Wrote: No it hasn't.  Federal prohibition has prevented large scale peer reviewed research into cannabis and it possible applications.  Look it up.  You can say this and that but you're strangely not citing anything.  I will.  Noonan, D.  2016. Scientists want the Smoke to clear on Medical Marijuana Research.  Scientific American. 15 April 2016.  On the very top it says the DEA refused to reclassify it but would lessen restrictions on research.  The rest speaks about how the restrictions have affected research in the past.

This is all wholly off topic so this will be my last post about it.  But just think about all the potential treatments we have ignored for decades because cannabis has been classified with Heroin.  It's pretty ridiculous.

As I said, both in the US and abroad.  60 studies from prior to 2016, several in the US:

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000884

2014 article discussing research over the last 20 years:

http://www.livescience.com/48171-marijuana-research-health-effects-review.html

As I stated before, I smoked daily for over 15 years.  I am in favor of legalization medicinally and recreationally, so I am not trying to criminalize him.  If his issues were a legitimate need for anxiety control, he had the means to seek help with medical professionals to aid in his cause.  He did not, and is now in rehab for a different substance, so it is clearly substance abuse issues.

End of rant....
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2016, 02:57 PM)bengalbiff Wrote: What if science tells you different?  We won't know for a while because they haven't allowed actual cannabis research until very recently.  There are SSRIs that can cause aggression in some patients should we get rid of that class of drugs because some people respond negatively to them?  As for the alcohol that happens when people can't get the medication they need.  They self medicate with something far more dangerous.  Thankfully medical marijuana is now legal in OH.  I'm sure there are people mad about that.  People will be able to get the medication they need without being state criminals. Oh what a horrible thing. 

I must admit it isn't every day you hear mention of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors on a football message board.  Bravo.
Reply/Quote