Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Malone
(04-29-2017, 02:34 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Have you watched how this team treats rookies since Marv has been here?

I saw Tyler Boyd catch 54 passes as a rookie last year.
Reply/Quote
With the Bengals drafting ST demon Brandon Wilson, I think this could spell the end for Alex Erickson. Erickson's saving grace is that Wilson, Ross, nor Mixon have attempted many punt returns in college. Perhaps Wilson replaces Peerman and Malone replaces Erickson. That's what I'd do anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 07:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote:  Perhaps Wilson replaces Peerman and Malone replaces Erickson. That's what I'd do anyway.

Nothing against Erickson.  I liked what I saw out of hinm last year, but Malone is just bigger, faster, and better.

Wilson will have a lot harder time replacing Peerman.  I like Peerman a lot, but would have no problem moving on to a young guy who is one of the most impressive athletes in the entire draft (4.4 forty, 41 vertical, 11-1 broad jump, 24 bench reps).  Wilson is a freak whose return skills could give him an edge over Cedric.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t think so at all.. Laffell is a perfect fit with what has been drafted.. a veteran move the chains, sure handed and dependable.  We acquired speed more than great hands  etc.   Core and Erickson will be fighting for a job .. those players are much easier replaced with rookies than a veteran like Laffel

Laffell is slow,will be 31, and doesn't play special teams. I am not saying he will get traded but a team who needs a WR because of injury might throw us a decent pick. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Nothing against Erickson.  I liked what I saw out of hinm last year, but Malone is just bigger, faster, and better.

Wilson will have a lot harder time replacing Peerman.  I like Peerman a lot, but would have no problem moving on to a young guy who is one of the most impressive athletes in the entire draft (4.4 forty, 41 vertical, 11-1 broad jump, 24 bench reps).  Wilson is a freak whose return skills could give him an edge over Cedric.

Wilson is really fast and freakishly strong. He had something like 24 reps at the combine which is insane for a CB.

With 3 RB's capable of time...it may be time to let Peerman go which would save some money too.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:05 PM)J24 Wrote: Laffell is slow,will be 31, and doesn't play special teams. I am not saying he will get traded but a team who needs a WR because of injury might throw us a decent pick. 

I think there's a spot for a veteran receiver like Lafell this year.

I doubt that Malone or Core beat him out.

Receiver is kind of a notorious position for taking a couple seasons for players to 'get it'.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 02:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I found it interesting in John Ross's press conference when he was saying how he loved this great passing offense. He mentioned Eifert, Green, and Boyd. Didn't mention LaFell.
I wish Reynolds would have lasted to that pick instead, but I like the Malone pick though. 

Yea I really wanted Reynolds. But after reading more on Malone whom i must admit i didnt look at much before the draft, im ok with it.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wilson is really fast and freakishly strong. He had something like 24 reps at the combine which is insane for a CB.

With 3 RB's capable of time...it may be time to let Peerman go which would save some money too.

It seems like we cut Peerman every year anyway only to bring him back. I think this guy was brought in to replace him anyway. He will be our ST ace.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:39 PM)pulses Wrote: I disagree... ROss and Malone can do returns.

I would not want to use Ross on returns. Hell I would rather use Mixon before Ross. But it sure seems like we have plenty of options now. Maybe we should just let Pac Man get the shit beat out of him doing all kick and punt returns. Im all for that.
Reply/Quote
no way i want ross returning punts/kicks! keep him at wr only
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 02:18 PM)Trademark Wrote: I hate that too because he came around last year as a returner, but they needed more versatility. Core is as good as gone too.
Well, I doubt they're both gone.

I think we take 6 receivers:
Green, Lafell, Boyd, Ross, Malone and then either Core or Erickson.

I was inclined to say Erickson, because he is a great return man and Malone is basically just an upgraded Cody Core, but then we traded up to get that Houston Corner who is also a kick returner.

That made me think that Erickson may be the odd man out.

We'll see. I think it'll all come down to competition in training camp to determine that final spot.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:46 PM)magikod Wrote: no way i want ross returning punts/kicks! keep him at wr only

This.

Maybe if he hadn't already been injured so much, but I don't want him returning kicks no matter how good he is.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wilson is really fast and freakishly strong. He had something like 24 reps at the combine which is insane for a CB.

Don't forget that Wilson also played RB. He'll primarily be ST, depth DB, and emergency RB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Can they stash Core on the PS? If yes, do you guys think another team will steal him? I'd rather keep Erickson as the returner.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:45 AM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Can they stash Core on the PS?  If yes, do you guys think another team will steal him?  I'd rather keep Erickson as the returner.

erickson is gone....core has too much upside to be cut.
Reply/Quote
Don't rule out the PUP list for Ross as he recovers from the shoulder surgery.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 02:25 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: What the coaches think:
1. AJ
2. LaFell
3. Boyd
4. Core
5. Ross
6. Erickson

PS unless injury: Malone

I like Erickson, but I think he's the odd man out.  Ross can return kicks in his place

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2017, 12:09 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I like Erickson, but I think he's the odd man out.  Ross can return kicks in his place

I think they keep 7 WRs:

1. Green
2. LaFell
3. Boyd
4. Ross
5. Core
6. Malone
7. Erickson

I think they only carry 3 RBs this season instead of 4 with Peerman getting cut. Wilson makes it as a S and fills Peerman's role on ST, backs up Erickson as the KR....and also serves as the #4 B if needed.  Younger and faster all over the roster baby.
Reply/Quote
Funny thing about kick returners.. Just about any position is eligible, but only a handful get the job and if they're successful it's tough to knock someone out of the job. 
Although Tate was never a fan favorite he lasted for quite some time as a return guy until Erikson came along and dethroaned him.
I just don't see the Bengals cutting Erikson quickly to replace him with any unproven rookie unless he gets seriously injured or develops a bad case of fumbleitis. 
Not just anyone can catch kicks from 210 feet away and run head on into 11 guys trying to kill them..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Erickson will stay. He was really coming along great at returns last year.

Reply/Quote