Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Shaw
Did you know that Josh Shaw has played over half (52.6%) of the defensive snaps for the Bengals over the last two seasons.

Did you know that according to ProfootballOutsiders Shaw's "success rate" of 57% (on passing plays) in 2016 ranked 8th best among all qualifying CBs?

Did you know that his success rate in 2017 was just slightly lower (55%) than in '16, and the only reason he was not ranked among the league leaders was because he did not have enough starts or targets to qualify?

His "yards per target" of 7.4 ranked 37th among all qualifying CBs.  It improved to 7.2 last year but was not ranked.

Did you know that Shaw is now a full time safety?

Most teams use a 5 DB package about two thirds of the time.  Last year some teams started running 5 DB package as their "base" defense on first down except they use 3 safeties instead of 3 CBs.  I think we will start using the package at times.  The MLB is going extinct.
Reply/Quote
I think Shaw has played well for us for the most part and I have no issues keeping him. In fact I feel they should keep him !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think he nearly as good a safety or slot CB as he is an edge CB. He plays well on the outside but seems to get lost in the middle of the field.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 02:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Did you know that Josh Shaw has played over half (52.6%) of the defensive snaps for the Bengals over the last two seasons.

Did you know that according to ProfootballOutsiders Shaw's "success rate" of 57% (on passing plays) in 2016 ranked 8th best among all qualifying CBs?

Did you know that his success rate in 2017 was just slightly lower (55%) than in '16, and the only reason he was not ranked among the league leaders was because he did not have enough starts or targets to qualify?

His "yards per target" of 7.4 ranked 37th among all qualifying CBs.  It improved to 7.2 last year but was not ranked.

Did you know that Shaw is now a full time safety?

Most teams use a 5 DB package about two thirds of the time.  Last year some teams started running 5 DB package as their "base" defense on first down except they use 3 safeties instead of 3 CBs.  I think we will start using the package at times.  The MLB is going extinct.

I knew some of that, have always liked Shaw, was one of the best Slot Corners in the league in one of those years.

Didn't know he is now a full time Safety though, always thought he could play Safety, just think we got a lot of them
now. Need to find a way to keep Shaw even if we have to list him in another position. We are pretty deep and Kei
Russell is a must keep. Fej is a must keep and we know they aren't going to cut Shawn Williams.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 03:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think Shaw has played well for us for the most part and I have no issues keeping him. In fact I feel they should keep him !

If hes healthy I don't see him getting knocked off the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I knew some of that, have always liked Shaw, was one of the best Slot Corners in the league in one of those years.

Didn't know he is now a full time Safety though, always thought he could play Safety, just think we got a lot of them
now. Need to find a way to keep Shaw even if we have to list him in another position. We are pretty deep and Kei
Russell is a must keep. Fej is a must keep and we know they aren't going to cut Shawn Williams.

I don't think they cut Shawn or IIoka....      They might swing a late preseason trade. if they feel the younger guys can fill the role like BatesIII and Shaw

or they keep 10 DBs this year 5 Safteys 5 DBs.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I knew some of that, have always liked Shaw, was one of the best Slot Corners in the league in one of those years.

Well they cut Lafell so Inever know on William's but I dont see them cutting him unless others step up their play.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't think they cut Shawn or IIoka....      They might swing a late preseason trade. if they feel the younger guys can fill the role like BatesIII and Shaw

Sure wouldn't mind seeing a Shawn trade if some of the younger guys play decent.

I do think they keep 10 DB's regardless.

(08-13-2018, 04:33 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well they cut Lafell so Inever know on William's but I dont see them cutting him unless others step up their play.

Thats true, you never know, things are different this year and agree other Safeties have to play well and Shawn
would have to play pretty bad to get cut. He is still solid as much as some hate on Shawn Williams, he is just not
the best Cover Safety which is why i love the Bates pick so much. Sure is nice to see him making nice tackles as
that was his weakness at Wake.
Reply/Quote
Shaw and Russell after last week are both safe in my book. The only question is do we keep 11 or 10 DBs?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
its Shaws 3rd year i think. Id like to see him be more disruptive i.e forcing fumbles delfecting passes
securing the ball better and not dropping easy picks
he doesnt take the best angles either which leads him to more arm tackles and letting ball carriers get extra yds.
this is a big year for him to step up
Reply/Quote

I think we'll see more and more teams keeping extra DB's and cutting down LBers. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think we'll see more and more teams keeping extra DB's and cutting down LBers. 

I think so too, kinda turning into more of a passing league.

I hope we adapt to what they are doing but we just bash them in the run game on Offense.

Go ahead, i want us to be mean and physical.

BTW, speaking of Shaw i like how he plays physical. He hits some dudes.
Reply/Quote
Did you know that success stat is as meaningless now as it was when you used it to defend Kirkpatrick.

Did you know that yardage stat is also meaningless if he’s only covering slot receivers across the middle on short dumpoffs and screens out of the backfield.

I’m not saying he isn’t or can’t be good. I’m saying context for these stats matter.
Reply/Quote
With the already nervous about depth behind the big 3, Shaw isn't going anywhere. Neither is Russell with his knack for interceptions.

That's 5

I think they really like Wilson which makes the battle at safety interesting. Wilson has flashed since late last season (on teams).

Will they cut both 5th round cb's?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 08:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: With the already nervous about depth behind the big 3, Shaw isn't going anywhere. Neither is Russell with his knack for interceptions.

That's 5

I think they really like Wilson which makes the battle at safety interesting. Wilson has flashed since late last season (on teams).

Will they cut both 5th round cb's?

Agreed on everything you said JJ22.

Wilson hasn't made a bad play really, he was cleaning up other's bad plays.

Could cut both Harris and Phillips if they don't show up big. I like Phillips Return skills though and eye for the ball in college.

Just hard cuts which you always want cause that means you have a good team.
Reply/Quote
Do you know what the trade value is for decent young vet DB?
Reply/Quote
A lot of questions regarding how the Bengals will go for the 53 man roster.

If they go 3 QB, Shaw may be on the bubble. The team does not have talent depth at O-Line which makes me think they may keep one extra O-Line prospect for rotation possibilities. The team is thin at linebacker, Rey is injured and Burfict, well, is Burfict. If the team keeps 6 WR then Tate is likely gone. Bengals have kept 10 defensive backs before, not sure they could keep 11.

Shaw is a gamer. He always seems around the ball. Tough decisions are going to be made.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Do not see Josh "Rick" Shaw going anywhere except for on the 53 man roster.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 04:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't think they cut Shawn or IIoka....      They might swing a late preseason trade. if they feel the younger guys can fill the role like BatesIII and Shaw

Is he still injured?  He is sure starting behind right now.  The contract he's receiving doesn't help matters, although the Bengals hardly ever cut someone for playing reasons.  They almost always honor the contract.

It would seem that Bates is pushing more for Iloka's spot anyway.  Wish one of the young guys would step up and go after Sean's position.  I think he is just ok as our SS.  

I wonder if Iloka won't be more effective in the SS role and not playing as much deep center field?  Not sure if they are even looking at that, but Sean is sure not doing much to help the situation if he can't practice.  
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 07:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Is he still injured?  He is sure starting behind right now.  The contract he's receiving doesn't help matters, although the Bengals hardly ever cut someone for playing reasons.  They almost always honor the contract.

It would seem that Bates is pushing more for Iloka's spot anyway.  Wish one of the young guys would step up and go after Sean's position.  I think he is just ok as our SS.  

I wonder if Iloka won't be more effective in the SS role and not playing as much deep center field?  Not sure if they are even looking at that, but Sean is sure not doing much to help the situation if he can't practice.  

Its Shawn lol....
Reply/Quote