Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Shaw to get a look at safety
Lots of minutes are there for somebody. Why not him?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Our next move is to try Billings at Safety! He can be a truly big hitter!
Reply/Quote
I don't know... I thought Shaw looked pretty good at corner in limited time last year. I would hate to Michael Johnson him, making him flip flop between two positions and only being okay at both rather than good at one. Just don't want him to put on weight thinking he needs to be a safety, only to be too heavy to be a CB when some injuries or something happens.

If Kirkpatrick could tackle worth a damn, I would say try him at safety instead with that height.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 09:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know... I thought Shaw looked pretty good at corner in limited time last year. I would hate to Michael Johnson him, making him flip flop between two positions and only being okay at both rather than good at one.  Just don't want him to put on weight thinking he needs to be a safety, only to be too heavy to be a CB when some injuries or something happens.

If Kirkpatrick could tackle worth a damn, I would say try him at safety instead with that height.

He actually did have some good tackles from behind resulting from footraces last year.  He's quite the opposite of a downhill tackler in that regard.  After hearing about the shoulder injury,  I don't doubt for one second that he has the desire to put it all together.  Will he ever be a true shutdown type of a guy?  Probably not, but he still has a shot to improve.
Reply/Quote
So....Is Dennard out this season?
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 10:11 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: He actually did have some good tackles from behind resulting from footraces last year.  He's quite the opposite of a downhill tackler in that regard.  After hearing about the shoulder injury,  I don't doubt for one second that he has the desire to put it all together.  Will he ever be a true shutdown type of a guy?  Probably not, but he still has a shot to improve.

Well man, tackles from behind are one thing, but having a Free Safety that can intercept the ball, or simply lay the wood at the point of attack is much better.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 09:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't know... I thought Shaw looked pretty good at corner in limited time last year. I would hate to Michael Johnson him, making him flip flop between two positions and only being okay at both rather than good at one.  Just don't want him to put on weight thinking he needs to be a safety, only to be too heavy to be a CB when some injuries or something happens.

I bet the bulk of his work will end up being more of a matchup guy like Hall was the last few years.  You'll see him lined up vs a bigger WR or pass catching TE more than you'll see him at safety.  I hear the reservations, but if Jackson is up to speed and Dennard can play then they'll have to be creative to get him on the field.  I'd rather dabble with having him ready for the team as coverage safety insurance vs worrying it may hinder him as an individual.  An Iloka injury would be bad, even if the staff likes Smith he's untested.  Only makes sense to have insurance, but he may end up being only that at safety. 
Reply/Quote
I must say I am stocked about the move. Shaw is big, but he's not long, Shaw is fast, but he's not fluid. Folks forget how fast and strong this guy is. Leave CB to the light-weights, let this guy roam.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I actually like Shaw's coverage ability more than Williams'. But, Williams is a much more sure tackler and harder hitter.

Like others have stated, I wouldn't mind Williams being a S/LB hybrid.

I say let it be open competition between the two. Shaw was my 2nd favorite draft pick last year and may push for the starting spot.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
This is a good move for him. When you have a player who has his upside and can offer the versatility to play both CB/S then that allows the defense to put the better players on the field more often than not.
Reply/Quote
Kevin Coyle may have flopped as a DC, but he was one of the best position coaches we had before he left.

I feel a lot more confident about moves like this now that we have him back coaching the DBs.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 06:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only thing I didn't like about the WJ3 pick is that it buried Shaw on the depth chart. Shaw really showed some promise last year, so it'd be nice if they could find ways to get him some snaps.

I felt from Day 1 that Shaw was destined to replace Hall as the Nickel/corner, dime/safety.  He has good size for the position and played safety in college.  Love the kid's speed and tackling.  I think this year, he becomes an integral part of the defense.  He was an absolute steal where they got him.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 08:07 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It'll be interesting to see who winds up as the dominant safety.  Derron Smith has received hype from the coaching staff for ball skills, Shaw has received hype from the fans for not looking awful and making open field tackles in limited time, and Shawn Williams has made some really good splash plays with his limited time on the field.  Perhaps these three guys are good enough to warrant a trade before all is said and done, perhaps for a DE?  I really want to believe that between the three of them that there is another hidden gem just waiting for a shot.  

Smith would be better in the role of center fielder as he has excellent ball skills, but his coverage isn't as strong as Shawn or Iloka....
Reply/Quote

Kirkpatrick stays on the ground after every tackle, even when he bumps a guy out of bounds.  Safety?  No thanks.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kevin Coyle may have flopped as a DC, but he was one of the best position coaches we had before he left.  

I feel a lot more confident about moves like this now that we have him back coaching the DBs.

I liked him, but I loved Vance Joseph.  Wish the Bengals could have retained him. 
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Corners that Play safties... Safties playing Linebacker.  Its all just madness...

but its good to have depth that has taken reps.  Id feel better with shaw who looked great last season than our 7th rounder gunner for this season if an injury would occur.

[Image: CommentPhotos.com_1405454845.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kevin Coyle may have flopped as a DC, but he was one of the best position coaches we had before he left.  

Didn't Joseph coach our DB"S? I like Joseph more than Coyle. I do like the move trying Shaw at safety, trying someone and that person adapting and switching are 2 totally different things.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Didn't Joseph coach our DB"S? I like Joseph more than Coyle. I do like the move trying Shaw at safety, trying someone and that person adapting and switching are 2 totally different things.

Coyle was DB coach of the Bengals, before he tried his hand at being DC at Miami.  Several thought it was a devastating loss, when he left for Miami.  I, for one, am glad that he is back.  While Joseph was an excellent DB coach, Coyle also has a proven history of success with coaching the Bengal DBs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not shocked. When he was drafted, I expected him to actually be slotted as a safety that would play CB in a pinch.

I liked what I saw from Shaw last year as a rookie and think he'll thrive more as a safety. Time will tell.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Didn't Joseph coach our DB"S? I like Joseph more than Coyle. I do like the move trying Shaw at safety, trying someone and that person adapting and switching are 2 totally different things.

Coyle was the guy with Hall and Joesph and adam jones when he first arrived.
Reply/Quote