Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Shaw to get a look at safety
(05-13-2016, 09:46 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Coyle was the guy with Hall and Joesph and adam jones when he first arrived.

Coyle was here when we got good production from other teams' cast offs like Deltha Oneal, Torrey James, Kevin Kaesviharn, Nate Clements, Reggie Nelson, Roy Williams, Chris Crocker, etc.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Coyle was here when we got good production from other teams' cast offs like Deltha Oneal, Torrey James, Kevin Kaesviharn, Nate Clements, Reggie Nelson, Roy Williams, Chris Crocker, etc.

I get it, many believed Coyle was a God of DB coaches. I liked him too, but I also like Joseph. IIoka was becoming a stud under Joseph, Nelson became an all pro under him. At one point, Jones, Hall and Joseph were $1 draft picks as was Nelson so not like Coyle was working with bad players. I think O'Neal and James were #1 picks and if recall, those defenses made big plays, but the DB's gave a ton of cushion. I am not bashing Coyle, glad we got him to replace Joseph.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I get it, many believed Coyle was a God of DB coaches. I liked him too, but I also like Joseph.

I liked Joseph also.  I believe he could be a head coach some day.  I am not glad we lost him.  Just glad we got Coyle back to replace him.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I liked Joseph also.  I believe he could be a head coach some day.  I am not glad we lost him.  Just glad we got Coyle back to replace him.

Yeah, this.  This takes the sting out of losing Joseph a tad.....Coyle did well with others' castoffs here once before, hoping he can just at least maintain the groundwork Joseph laid before him.  I think he will.....we fared pretty well here, all things considered.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I get it, many believed Coyle was a God of DB coaches. I liked him too, but I also like Joseph. IIoka was becoming a stud under Joseph, Nelson became an all pro under him. At one point, Jones, Hall and Joseph were $1 draft picks as was Nelson so not like Coyle was working with bad players. I think O'Neal and James were #1 picks and if recall, those defenses made big plays, but the DB's gave a ton of cushion. I am not bashing Coyle, glad we got him to replace Joseph.

Mark Carrier is our Safty DB Coach.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2016, 04:29 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all!
Not a real surprise, but first time being reported that Josh Shaw will get a look at safety (at least according to him).

He looks like Shawn Williams at 200 pounds, and he says he's done it his whole career at Florida/USC. I don't delve into college tape to be honest, but I would imagine he has had some looks back there. Makes sense -- especially if they go dime and they feel he can come up and play over a tight end. Curious to see how it looks when OTA start.

Thanks Jim, doesn't surprise me. When he was drafted people were saying Shaw could play Safety. Dude can cover and
tackle. Shaw impressed me more than any rookie last year honestly cause of where he was drafted. He came in and started
for Adam against the Steelers i think and matched up against Antonio Brown. Sure he got beat a few times but that is no
easy task and he held up reasonably well considering IMHO.

Should be no problem for him to play Safety in a pinch.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 11:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Mark Carrier is our Safty DB Coach.

Carrier is gone I believe.  Have no idea where he went, but he made a quick exit around the same time Joseph, Hayes and our LB coach left.   It was a pretty alarming exodus.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Coyle was here when we got good production from other teams' cast offs like Deltha Oneal, Torrey James, Kevin Kaesviharn, Nate Clements, Reggie Nelson, Roy Williams, Chris Crocker, etc.

Whoa, now....cast offs?  Torrey James was one of the biggest FA signings in this team's history at that time.  You might classify Kaes as a castoff since he came from the XFL, but Clements and Williams were former high draft picks.  
Reply/Quote

Carrier is gone. It's Coyle as the DB coach and Robert Livingston as the Asst. DB coach.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Couldn't get through all the posts - but some quick points:

I caught up with Vance Joseph, who thinks Shawn Williams can "do it all" when it comes to playing safety. You're right - he wasn't asked to do what Reggie did because, well, Reggie was there. But VJ think that highly of him.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/05/13/cincinnati-bengals-shawn-williams-ready-to-start-not-thinking-contract/84327366/

As for Shaw - Guenther proved last year he wasn't afraid to bring Williams in at S/LB in the dime package in that hybrid LB/S role ... and I think Shaw could fill that as well over a tight end or a fourth wideout.

Forget about Leon. He had back surgery in the offseason and there's a reason he's still out there. I guess the Bengals will always leave a door slightly open ... but they're at 90 players now and I imagine they'd wait until very late into the summer. Leon was a little miffed that his outside spot was handed to Dre last year, so he may not be ready to come back as the No. 5 corner / backup safety.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Feel bad for Hall. He's been a very solid corner for a decade. At his peak, was one of the best in the NFL. I would hate to see his career end on an injury. Maybe he rehabs all year and gets a shot at nickel CB again. If they win a ring this year, I would make sure Leon Hall got one of them.
Reply/Quote
Too bad for Leon, if not for injuries, he could very well have been up with the all-time greats at his position. He sure did give all that he had in him. Best of luck, with his post-football life.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 02:12 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Whoa, now....cast offs?  Torrey James was one of the biggest FA signings in this team's history at that time.  You might classify Kaes as a castoff since he came from the XFL, but Clements and Williams were former high draft picks.  

Yeah, Tory James was a pretty big signing. He was a starter for a SB team and had 18 picks in 6 seasons for the Raiders and Broncos.

Slightly off topic, but Marv's first FA haul in 2003 was pretty huge:

Tory James
John Thornton
Kevin Hardy
Duane Clemons
Reggie Kelly
Kenny Watson
Rodgers Beckett
Shayne Graham
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Feel bad for Hall.  He's been a very solid corner for a decade.  At his peak, was one of the best in the NFL.  I would hate to see his career end on an injury.  Maybe he rehabs all year and gets a shot at nickel CB again.  If they win a ring this year, I would make sure Leon Hall got one of them.

I'd love to see Leon, big Whit, Geno, Carlos, Peko, hell even Adam Jones despite the fact that I'm still a little pissed at him, get a ring for all they've put up with here.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 08:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd love to see Leon, big Whit, Geno, Carlos, Peko, hell even Adam Jones despite the fact that I'm still a little pissed at him, get a ring for all they've put up with here.

Absolutely.  There are a number of guys this team drafted and developed that I would love to see get a ring:  Iloka, Dalton, Green, Maualuga, and more.  If this team does overcome everything (no tin foil hat here, but if you think the NFL wants the Bengals to win a Super Bowl, you haven't been paying attention) with the NFL, the league perception of the franchise after Palmer quitting, and being in the toughest division in football,  it will be one hell of a celebration.  
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely.  There are a number of guys this team drafted and developed that I would love to see get a ring:  Iloka, Dalton, Green, Maualuga, and more.  If this team does overcome everything (no tin foil hat here, but if you think the NFL wants the Bengals to win a Super Bowl, you haven't been paying attention) with the NFL, the league perception of the franchise after Palmer quitting, and being in the toughest division in football,  it will be one hell of a celebration.  

If the Bengals win the Super Bowl?  I'd have to return home to Ohio, just to set a dumpster on fire! Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Bengals win the Super Bowl?  I'd have to return home to Ohio, just to set a dumpster on fire! Ninja

Get a hold of me, I'm in
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kevin Coyle may have flopped as a DC, but he was one of the best position coaches we had before he left.  

I feel a lot more confident about moves like this now that we have him back coaching the DBs.

Coyle flopped because of philbin and the Dolphins front office.   

You are 100% correct he is one of the best DB coaches in football.    Vance Joseph was also good but was just a younger version of Coyle.  He was close to becoming the DC for Hie in Cleveland.    He will easily be out next DC.   

Coyle also never had a run like this of deep talent in the secondary.    We are stacked back there better than any other team.  
Reply/Quote

He was fired.   Or told this contract wasn't going to be renewed.  
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2016, 01:40 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Coyle flopped because of philbin and the Dolphins front office.   

...and cancerous players like Suh that refused to buy in.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote