Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juju Smith Schuster/John Ross
(11-01-2017, 01:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I watched  his highlights  vs the Lions
It's not he's running complicated routes
Brown is getting Matched up.with  the Lions best cover cb.
Schuster is working underneath on drags and slants  and that TD for 97 yds was a simple up.the seam route
Behind the Lbers
Mean to tell me Ross cant do what Schuster is doing ??

That's EXACTLY what Mediocre Merv means to tell you. Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 03:34 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: thats stupid. you cant base one play n pencil in the other guy.  Schuster is far superior than Ross in thw game of football.  unless its a track meet most would have picked Ju Ju over Ross.  but not the Bengals.   picked the injured, undersized,  WR .   

What are you basing that statement off of? Obviously so far in the NFL he has done more but what else indicates he's "far superior" to Ross? Other then homerism for USC. Almost all teans passed on JuJu twice. I would almost guarantee if we didn't pick Ross he would have gone first between the two. So no, most wouldn't have picked him over Ross.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 04:01 PM)Sweetness Wrote: What are you basing that statement off of? Obviously so far in the NFL he has done more but what else indicates he's "far superior" to Ross? Other then homerism for USC. Almost all teans passed on JuJu twice. I would almost guarantee if we didn't pick Ross he would have gone first between the two. So no, most wouldn't have picked him over Ross.

im  Notre Dame fan so strike one. second you cant put Ross in that play and expect the same results.   Ross is more of a slot Wr slash gimmick Wr , Ju Ju is a possesion receiver highly touted coming out of highschool. and there were teams that had Ross off their draft board.  most Bengals fans didn't like the pick because of his size n injury history n wanted the oline fixed.  so far they are better GMs than Brown/ Lewis 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:51 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Before the draft I REALLY wanted juju in the second round. I saw every single game he played at USC and I had a good feeling he'd be special in the NFL. After we took Ross at 9 I knew that wasn't happening... But when Pittsburgh drafted him I wanted to puke in my soup (much like when they drafted Decastro immediately after we took f***ing Dre Kirkpatrick Whatever )

Part of me is happy he's doing so well in Pittsburgh and is gaining more and more fans by the day... Another (bigger) part of me hopes the entire Steelees team implodes after this season and he's mired in mediocrity until we can pick him up after his rookie deal expires

I think we traded down from our second pick (21 - New England?) and got Zietler and a fifth rounder - Prater, M. Jones or Iloka.

I'd take DeCastro over any of those picks - as good as they were.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:51 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Before the draft I REALLY wanted juju in the second round. I saw every single game he played at USC and I had a good feeling he'd be special in the NFL. After we took Ross at 9 I knew that wasn't happening... But when Pittsburgh drafted him I wanted to puke in my soup (much like when they drafted Decastro immediately after we took f***ing Dre Kirkpatrick Whatever )

Part of me is happy he's doing so well in Pittsburgh and is gaining more and more fans by the day... Another (bigger) part of me hopes the entire Steelees team implodes after this season and he's mired in mediocrity until we can pick him up after his rookie deal expires

The Steelers took DeCastro after the Bengals passed on DeCastro for Kevin Zeitler. We all know how that worked out.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
John Ross cant get on the field even this offense is starved of a wr on the other side to help lessen
Coverages on Green
Schuster has basically secured his role as the #2 WR In Pittsburgh sending Bryant to the bench
I'm perplexed on how one WR has made a great offense more deadly and the other
Isnt even in the game plan that struggles to score pts consistantly
I'm befuddled

Ok so riddle me this.. how can the Steelers also go backwards on Bryant and before him Coates ???  Also in his first 3 games.. Juju had 5 catches.. so i think lets see what happens with Ross over the next few games
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:23 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I think what we're seeing is a difference in coaching philosophy more than anything. Regardless of Ross' speed and how badly the offense needs another play maker opposite AJ, Marv simply isn't going to put him on the field until he's comfortable he won't make mistakes. Other coaches will live with a first-rounder's (or in the case of Juju a second-rounder) mistakes with the idea that they will make a heck of a lot more plays that help you win games than mistakes that contribute to losses. This is why Mixon didn't start the season with as many touches as he's getting now. It's Marv being Marv to a point of complete stubbornness.

Marvin, of all people, afraid Ross will make a mistake? Hell, Marvin makes mistakes all the time. Ross will be so snake bitten by the time he gets targeted by Dalton that he WILL make mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: We've taken 4 receivers in the last two years, none have contributed. The Steelers get a future all pro in one try.

Don't blame Ross for the failures of our Front Office. It's not his fault.

The elephant in the room is we haven't drafted good at all the last 5 years. We've drafted known names that give us good draft grades, but the proof is in the pudding (the fall of the Dalton/Green era).

Oh, So true.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 03:34 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: thats stupid. you cant base one play n pencil in the other guy.  Schuster is far superior than Ross in thw game of football.  unless its a track meet most would have picked Ju Ju over Ross.  but not the Bengals.   picked the injured, undersized,  WR .   

As I have said before, and it seems truer everyday. The way Ross is not being used, he was a Wow! What speed! distraction to keep us from pitchforking the FO over Whit and maybe Zeitler being allowed to walk in FA.
Reply/Quote
I can't say I wanted JuJu. I'm spooked by USC wideouts (and qb's). All have looked spectacular in my "scouting" the last couple years, and have busted. Not mad we passed on him. I probably would have not liked the pick to be honest.

But I don't get paid to make these decisions. Clearly Pitt saw something and of course nailed it.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I see where the Bengals had Ross rated higher on their board then Schuster but yet Ross cant even become
Part of the gameplan on Sundays.
Schuster had more recieving yds vs the Lions in one game then La Fell has had in 7 games or any Bengals WR not named AJ.
I bet if John Ross was drafted by the Steeters he would be very much part of their passing offense
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe JuJu is better? Hard to say yet. I do know that the Steelers are miles better as an organization. They draft players that fit their offense, rather than squeezing square pegs in round holes. They also seem to put players in great position to succeed. Plus we all know that if Schuster were drafted by the Bengals, he wouldn't be having a 193 yard game...he'd be buried on the depth chart fighting for snaps.

Agreed...if the Bengals would have taken Shuster,  and the Steelers would've taken Ross, we'd be talking about Ross like he was Shuster, and Shuster like he was Ross. Or something like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:21 PM)BMK Wrote: Agreed...if the Bengals would have taken Shuster,  and the Steelers would've taken Ross, we'd be talking about Ross like he was Shuster, and Shuster like he was Ross. Or something like that.

Lol exactly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'll take an offensive line that can keep Dalton upright for more than a half second over either.
Reply/Quote
Something that is really helping JuJu is that he is involved in the gameplan and not used simply as a gimmick. There's more to it than that, but the Steelers aren't going to have a player suit up and take the field when they're not involved in the gameplan. If the guy isn't healthy, there's no reason to have him on the field. However, I don't think injury is the issue. I believe this is a Marvin issue.
Reply/Quote
The coaches never planned to use Ross this season. Andy Benoit from Sports llustrated was at camp in August and told us so:

Quote:"The man drafted a round before Mixon, wide receiver John Ross (ninth overall), won’t see the field often in 2017. Besides missing valuable reps rehabbing a shoulder injury this past offseason, Ross joins a receiving corps that’s already balanced and set. A.J. Green is obviously a true No. 1. Brandon LaFell, a consummate professional, does all the little things that make an entire offense better. He’ll remain the No. 2. And Tyler Boyd, who improved his route running late in his rookie season, has a chance to become a viable slot receiver. Also, the coaches love 2016 sixth-rounder Cody Core. Ross was a luxury pick for 2017; his role will be carved out in 2018."

They always considered him a luxury pick. The fact that they believe they can make luxury picks while selecting 9th overall is the REAL problem.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/15/cincinnati-bengals-training-camp-season-preview-andy-dalton-aj-green
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 07:23 PM)Madieu Superstar Wrote: The coaches never planned to use Ross this season. Andy Benoit from Sports llustrated was at camp in August and told us so:

They always considered him a luxury pick. The fact that they believe they can make luxury picks while selecting 9th overall is the REAL problem.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/15/cincinnati-bengals-training-camp-season-preview-andy-dalton-aj-green

Heard the same thing on our 1st round corners.. that are now paying dividends.. time is not a player's enemy it is their friend if they work at their craft and improve
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Heard the same thing on our 1st round corners.. that are now paying dividends.. time is not a player's enemy it is their friend if they work at their craft and improve

The Bengals paid Kirkpatrick and if he continues to progress, they'll most likely pay Jackson if he's willing. As a result, it's HIGHLY unlikely that they will pay Dennard. So tell me what exactly the Bengals got out of their 2014 first round pick? A maximum of two years of (possible) production. Is that money (and a draft pick) well spent?
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
John Ross cant get on the field even this offense is starved of a wr on the other side to help lessen
Coverages on Green
Schuster has basically secured his role as the #2 WR In Pittsburgh sending Bryant to the bench
I'm perplexed on how one WR has made a great offense more deadly and the other
Isnt even in the game plan that struggles to score pts consistantly
I'm befuddled

Not sure an analysis at this point is useful. We won't really know for 2-3 years in, what the better pick really was. Of course, we may never know if Andy Dalton is throwing to him, behind the worst line in the league.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
John Ross hasn't done enough for us to warrant what he is worth. He might come out, be the next Jerry Rice...he might compliment AJ Green in ways we have never seen before...or he might be complete trash.

Too early to say him vs him, even with him spending significant amount of time on the bench. Just isn't fair at this point.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote