Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Juju Smith Schuster/John Ross
(11-01-2017, 01:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
John Ross cant get on the field even this offense is starved of a wr on the other side to help lessen
Coverages on Green
Schuster has basically secured his role as the #2 WR In Pittsburgh sending Bryant to the bench
I'm perplexed on how one WR has made a great offense more deadly and the other
Isnt even in the game plan that struggles to score pts consistantly
I'm befuddled

Rep! I was considering writing a similar thread yesterday. While Smith & Watt flourish in Pitt, we are stuck with a RB that clearly is not as good as several of the others taken in his class. Hunt, Cook, Fournette, & Kamara, just off if the top of my head,are contributing more for their respective teams. Then we add a diminutive & injured WR that hasn't made a single play halfway through the season.

Meanwhile in Pitt: Watt & Smith flourish. Another name I'm gonna throw out there is Jaylon Smith in Dallas. He's making an impact just a year after "the pundits/experts" said he was probably done. Then there is the way that Dallas acquired Collins. Bottom line; some franchises have foresight, take a few chances, & keep grinding to succeed. I have no doubt that our players grind & desire to succeed. That said, they are handicapped from the top down.

I'm happy that the FO tried to move McCarron. It shows me a little, but after 40 year's it just isn't enough to change  my opinion on this regime. Smith,Shazier, & Watt will be making plays against us for the next several years. Get used to it folks. This doesn't even mention the fact that the guy Pitt has benched in favor of Smith is a better WR than any WR on the Bengals not named Green.

Some franchises, owners, & coaches understand how to succeed, while others couldn't find it with a map & flashlight.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:23 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I think what we're seeing is a difference in coaching philosophy more than anything. Regardless of Ross' speed and how badly the offense needs another play maker opposite AJ, Marv simply isn't going to put him on the field until he's comfortable he won't make mistakes. Other coaches will live with a first-rounder's (or in the case of Juju a second-rounder) mistakes with the idea that they will make a heck of a lot more plays that help you win games than mistakes that contribute to losses. This is why Mixon didn't start the season with as many touches as he's getting now. It's Marv being Marv to a point of complete stubbornness.

I'll jump to a conclusion once Ross has been healthy and "in game shape". That SAID....He SHOULD turn out well, was a pick that SHOULD make a difference. Clearly.. if not USED that can't happen.  The malfunctions on the O-Line are  a glaring problem. That limits us using ANY deep threat.

I ASSUME next year we have a new O-Line coach.  I assume we use SOME high picks on O-Line and probably sign at least one decent FA.  NOBODY figured Fisher and Ogbuhe were drafted way to high.
Reply/Quote
Thsee are competely different situations.

Ju Ju put in a full offseason and started as the season number 4 receiver. He continued to make the most of every opportunity and first jumped Eli Rodgers by week 3 then jumped Bryant when Bryant started to be an annoyance.

Ju Ju was not handed the #2 WR spot he work hard to take it from veterans ahead of him. Kudos.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon "not contributing" as much as Hunt is not on Mixon.

We have the worst rush blocking o line in the league and one  of  worst pass blocking lines.

Mixon would be killing it if he was playing for Chiefs and Hunt would be a "bust" if he was playing for Bengals.

JuJu would be on our bench and Ross would be killing the 1v1 matchups if he was playing for the Steelers ( assuming he was healthy)

Taking no steps to try and improve what was a below average o line in 2016 after losing your two best linemen from that below average o line is completely insane.

No linemen we could have drafted in first through fourth round that were better than what we have now?  Complete nonsense.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:32 PM)Madieu Superstar Wrote: The Bengals paid Kirkpatrick and if he continues to progress, they'll most likely pay Jackson if he's willing. As a result, it's HIGHLY unlikely that they will pay Dennard. So tell me what exactly the Bengals got out of their 2014 first round pick? A maximum of two years of (possible) production. Is that money (and a draft pick) well spent?

so i guess playing well is not paying dividends.. don;t invest in stock marke then  lol
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 01:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Are these 2 WRs a example of where both organizations are at now ?
John Ross cant get on the field even this offense is starved of a wr on the other side to help lessen
Coverages on Green
Schuster has basically secured his role as the #2 WR In Pittsburgh sending Bryant to the bench
I'm perplexed on how one WR has made a great offense more deadly and the other
Isnt even in the game plan that struggles to score pts consistantly
I'm befuddled

The Steelers offense is literally better at EVERY single positon than the Bengals offense...except maybe WR1...but even there...a lot of people consider Brown the best WR in the NFL.

I have no doubt that if Ross went to the Steelers that he'd be setup to have more success than here.

Bryant was suspended for what 1.5 seasons? It's hard to miss that much time and come in as a #2. Even before the suspensions he was a borderline #2.
Reply/Quote
Maybe, just maybe Pitt has a better QB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
To be honest it's sickening. The excuse most gave to justify picking Ross was that he's fast and can get open quickly to ease some of the pressure off this horrible line. But now he's not in there because of THE LINE? Wtf. I think it's a mix of bad coaching, bad QB ( yes I've giving up on Dalton) and just a bad draft selection. We didn't need a WR at 9 period.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 11:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Maybe, just maybe Pitt has a better QB

You could be on to something...

Dalton will have to pay to get into the HoF to see Ben's bust.

Reply/Quote
every sunday that goes by with Ross doing nothing makes me even more pissed off about the pick. id figure he would have made more of an impact by now..
Reply/Quote
Ross will be better in the long run. Schuster is running the slot and has the advantage of people. Or knowing how to defend him yet. Ross just needs reps and their games are totally different
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 04:00 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: every sunday that goes by with Ross doing nothing makes me even more pissed off about the pick.  id figure he would have made more of an impact by now..

We need to start adjusting our expectations for draft picks I suppose. Especially 1st Round picks.
Reply/Quote
Why does it feel that a majority justifies everything this front office does in the draft but then points out in other threads our front office is our #1 problem? How does that make sense? Are we really so blind to believe our roster stacks up with elite teams or playoff teams? Elite teams win in the trenches or have an explosive offense!

I mean cmon!! Talking playoffs and dumb shit
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:11 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: Why does it feel that a majority justifies everything this front office does in the draft but then points out in other threads our front office is our #1 problem? How does that make sense? Are we really so blind to believe our roster stacks up with elite teams or playoff teams? Elite teams win in the trenches or have an explosive offense!

I mean cmon!! Talking playoffs and dumb shit

Yep. Our roster on offense has 5 pretty bad starters for instance.

We're living off of 2 great drafts. Since then, we've had a bunch of below average drafts and lost a bunch of free agents to boot.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Our roster on offense has 5 pretty bad starters for instance.

We're living off of 2 great drafts. Since then, we've had a bunch of below average drafts and lost a bunch of free agents to boot.

This. Exactly.

Take a page from Chuck Noll who believed C and DT were the most important positions. Even Paul Brown was a believer in the importance of the C position!

I think the Cowboys are not great when you go over every position but their oline is amazing which can make everyone look better

There is no consensus on who does what and who makes the picks. Nobody is on the same page
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 09:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so i guess playing well is not paying dividends.. don;t invest in stock marke then  lol

Playing decent for half a season in your FOURTH year is not "dividends". If back in 2014, you could see into the future at what Dennard's career was going to become, NO ONE on this board would have selected him. To say otherwise is ridiculous. The Bengals have gotten basically nothing out of him for his entire tenure here. 
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 11:56 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Mixon "not contributing" as much as Hunt is not on Mixon.

We have the worst rush blocking o line in the league and one  of  worst pass blocking lines.

Mixon would be killing it if he was playing for Chiefs and Hunt would be a "bust" if he was playing for Bengals.

JuJu would be on our bench and Ross would be killing the 1v1 matchups if he was playing for the Steelers ( assuming he was healthy)

Taking no steps to try and improve what was a below average o line in 2016 after losing your two best linemen from that below average o line is completely insane.

No linemen we could have drafted in first through fourth round that were better than what we have now?  Complete nonsense.

I disagree. I don't even think Mixon is a "bust." I think he has the potential to be a very solid long-term RB1 for us.

But Hunt is better. Even with this team, I think he would be outperforming Mixon. 
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2017, 12:52 PM)thillan Wrote: I disagree. I don't even think Mixon is a "bust." I think he has the potential to be a very solid long-term RB1 for us.

But Hunt is better. Even with this team, I think he would be outperforming Mixon. 

It's impossible to tell. This line is sooooo bad, no evaluation can be properly conducted.
BTW, it was the same way last year with Whit and Zeitler. This team hasn't consistently run blocked well since the days of Willie, Levi, Steinbach, Bobbie Williams (sans 2009). 
The coach is an abysmal failure.
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote