Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julio Jones gets his deal
AJ was never going to get the deal Julio did. But this deal now sets the bar. The big number in Jones's contract is the guarantee which is $64 million. AJ will go for somewhere around 17-19 million per year for 3 years.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: we can all agree that Zampeze was horrible. Lazor was mediocre. now give AJ and Dalton a full season with a good coordinator lets see what they could do. This injury by AJ puts us in a pickle because if AJ balls out when he returns we will have to franchise him and he may wind up making more than Julio.

He can't make more than Julio, even on the franchise tag. The tag is the average of the top 5 paid guys. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:29 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This comparison of AJ to Julio has one common denominator, they were drafted in round 1 within 2 picks of each other. As far as career, Green has 80% of the production of Jones.

So 66 million X .80% = $52.8 million over 3 years or over 17 million a year versus Julio's 22 million

Still great money for a WR, so AJ should be thrilled if he could get that contract of 3 years for 52.8 million

Sounds good to me.

As long as we can still sign Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He can't make more than Julio, even on the franchise tag. The tag is the average of the top 5 paid guys. 

And AB was top 5 and likely his new deal yields a lot less than his Raider deal based on his antics
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:32 PM)pally Wrote: AJ was never going to get the deal Julio did.  But this deal now sets the bar.  The big number in Jones's contract is the guarantee which is $64 million.  AJ will go for somewhere around 17-19 million per year for 3 years.

I see this as possible, but due to injury, a lot less guaranteed

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 02:42 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Im eager too find out what Andy does with a good offensive mind for a change. I think Andy has been a victim of bad offensive coaching

Gruden and Hue were pretty decent, but yeah, it’s been rough the last few years. I don’t think Dalton will ever be as good as Matt Ryan though. No matter who his OC is.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Would he? AJ has not been durable, but Jones has been. Can't put up numbers when off the field due to injury. We know that as look at Green's numbers the past 3 years compared to Jones.

Night and day who has better results and commands much higher contract

AJ was much more durable earlier in their careers. In fact, AJ has started more games (111) than Julio (110).

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ was much more durable earlier in their careers. In fact, AJ has started more games (111) than Julio (110).

Be GM for a day, AJ's got paid last time for being durable with huge contract. Why would they reward him again when last 3+ (injured agan already) years he has been made of glass as he ages?

Would you really pay AJ close to Julio now after last 3 years versus looking at Julio's last 3 years for comparison?

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Be GM for a day, AJ's got paid last time for being durable with huge contract. Why would they reward him again when last 3+ (injured agan already) years he has been made of glass as he ages?

Would you really pay AJ close to Julio now after last 3 years versus looking at Julio's last 3 years for comparison?

No. I was just pointing out Julio missed some games early, when AJ wasn’t. Julio should definitely make more than AJ. Just not that much. That’s QB money.

*also I ***** HATE the term “made of glass.” Nobody that plays in the NFL should ever be referred to as such. These guys are straight up gladiators, and most “normal” people wouldn’t last one snap.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 03:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ was much more durable earlier in their careers. In fact, AJ has started more games (111) than Julio (110).

That's the sad part, considering Julio has 96 more receptions and 1,824 more yards. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 04:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's the sad part, considering Julio has 96 more receptions and 1,824 more yards. 

Yep. The only thing AJ is better at is scoring TDs. Which despite how much we shit on Ross, is pretty important.

AJ 63 TD
Julio 51 TD

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 04:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. The only thing AJ is better at is scoring TDs. Which despite how much we shit on Ross, is pretty important.

AJ 63 TD

Julio 51 TD

And that is why AJ gets a big contract. It is a big deal and why he causes defenses to game plan against him

Now get healthy AJ damn it

Reply/Quote

Oops.  False narrative shot to hell.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 04:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. The only thing AJ is better at is scoring TDs. Which despite how much we shit on Ross, is pretty important.

AJ 63 TD
Julio 51 TD

(09-07-2019, 05:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: And that is why AJ gets a big contract. It is a big deal and why he causes defenses to game plan against him

Now get healthy AJ damn it

Yep. He does get in the end zone more and it's not because Julio has more options in their offense. 

Now, i'm really really not poo pooing AJ, but...that's only 1.5 more TDs per year while Julio is getting 12 catches and about 228 more yards per year, on average. At first i thought he's probably doing it on way more targets than AJ because Ryan throws a lot more, but Julio is only averaging about 9 more targets per year, so Julio is more efficient in his areas. 

Ypg
Jones - 96.7
Green - 80.2

Catch %
Jones - 63.7
Green - 58.7

I'm guessing that's in large part to completion % by QB.
Ryan - 66.7 career
Dalton - 62.3 career

AJ deserves big money, just not quite as big as Julio (and that's probably pretty obvious to most).

Some interesting numbers that do go in AJs favor. Since '11 he ranks; 
Games started - 4th
Targets - 5th
Receptions - 5th
Yards - 4th
Y/r - (active) 6th
TDs - (active) 3rd
Ypg - (active) 4th

That's with what (many? some? a lot?) consider a "sub par" QB throwing him the ball. He deserves every penny of Franchise Tag dollars, at least. 

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 04:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. The only thing AJ is better at is scoring TDs. Which despite how much we shit on Ross, is pretty important.

AJ 63 TD
Julio 51 TD

He's also better at scoring game winning TDs against the Falcons... That and beating Julio every time they've played. Despite playing for this garbage franchise with this whack ass QB (In truth, I don't think Matt Ryan is all that.).. I kid, I kid.

I like Julio, and I think he's very similar to AJ personality wise. The guy is quiet, kicks ass, and just wants to win games. He went 6-7 games last year before he scored a TD. His teammates mobbed him like he just won them the Super Bowl. That says a lot.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think IF AJ wants to be here, which all indications are that he does...he'd take a 3-4 year deal for $15 million per.

IF he wants to chase a ring, he may take less elsewhere.

That said, IF he comes back and gets injured again...the Bengals may want to do what they do with Eifert and give him a 1 year deal or let him move on. I'd hate to see that as I like Green and the way he plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 02:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s too much for any non-QB

too much money for a anybody not named Tom Brady
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 06:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: too much money for a anybody not named Tom Brady

People say that, but then what will you do with that money?

Like say Mixon wants $18 million a year and the Bengals think it's too much and don't pay it.

What will we do with that money? It's not like we'll go give a LB $10 million a year and then sign a 2nd for $8 million a year.

Better off keeping your elite guys.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 06:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: too much money for a anybody not named Tom Brady

A guy is worth exactly what someone will pay him. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2019, 06:49 PM)McC Wrote: A guy is worth exactly what someone will pay him. 

Yep. And the cap rises EVERY Year.

So a guy worth $10 million this year...may be worth $12 million in 2 years.
Reply/Quote