Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Imagine This Group of Weapons in the Pass Game
(03-19-2021, 02:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Pro bowl caliber* because we all know the pro bowl is a popularity contest, and players on smaller market teams get snubbed all the time. Higgins and Boyd are pro bowl caliber. I’m not worried about those 2 at all

Ok, that's great.

How are you spending the newely freed up Golladay money in my hypothetical?  Give me some names you want to use that money for on OL.

You've established you want either Sewell or to move down and take another Tackle (Slater?) and move Jonah inside, thus filling a Guard spot.  So that leaves you with the other Guard and potentially a Center.

Anyone in particular you have in mind that's worthy of 12+ dollars to fill one or both of those spots? 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:57 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Rams are a run first team that has a stud o-line. Build the line first, then worry about another pass catcher.

Cincy does not need a first round stud at receiver. We have 2 studs already.

A good number 3 receiver can be had in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th round

Or you can sign Hilton for cheap and make him the 3

Rams have also had a great defense, which has allowed them to be more run-focused. The Bengals have a below average defense, so they naturally will need to pass more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Rams have also had a great defense, which has allowed them to be more run-focused. The Bengals have a below average defense, so they naturally will need to pass more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Titans have a crap defense and that didn’t stop them from being successful and run focused. Your point?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm right there with you.  If we don't get a WR in free agency Chase is hard to ignore at #5.

I think the best move there would be to pass on Sewell, draft Chase, and then look for a Guard in the 2nd.  Stick with Jonah and Reiff at T, and pray that 2nd round pick can come in and immediately start at a decent level.

That level of bad Bengal like logic is what cost Burrow one knee already.

No
No
No

O-line is the only smart play.

How many years did Pitt win this division with Ben under center. Look at what they would do. Draft WR in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round, burn through him, move on. They were successful because they spent early picks on the right position group... O-line. 

Give Burrow time and he'll make 4th rounders look like 1st rounders. 

He can't make 4th round guards look like 1st rounders.

Why does everyone want the kid on IR again with these Pitts and Chase picks that lead to Michael Jordan at G again... or a prayer that some 3rd round guard can be better then the 4th round guard he's replacing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm right there with you.  If we don't get a WR in free agency Chase is hard to ignore at #5.

I think the best move there would be to pass on Sewell, draft Chase, and then look for a Guard in the 2nd.  Stick with Jonah and Reiff at T, and pray that 2nd round pick can come in and immediately start at a decent level.

If our scouting department thinks Sewell is good as some say then I can’t pass on him for a stop gap tackle that’s turning 33. I get the skill positions are sexy but protecting Burrow is priority number one. We could have our future bookends in Williams and Sewell for the future. It’s easier to find receivers in later rounds. I don’t have faith Tobin can find multiple starters on the offensive line with the way he’s drafted and we only have 8 picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:15 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Ok, that's great.

How are you spending the newely freed up Golladay money in my hypothetical?  Give me some names you want to use that money for on OL.

You've established you want either Sewell or to move down and take another Tackle (Slater?) and move Jonah inside, thus filling a Guard spot.  So that leaves you with the other Guard and potentially a Center.

Anyone in particular you have in mind that's worthy of 12+ dollars to fill one or both of those spots? 

I don’t think they grab any more free agent lineman. I think they’ll draft a lineman within the first 2 rounds. Whether that be a first round tackle they move to guard, or a 2nd round guard. (Or even 3rd round)

They’re gonna have some weaknesses at the 2 other line spots though.

I think out of Hopkins Spain and XSF, 2 will be starting on the line in 2021

I think the front office rolls over some money instead of spending on another free agent lineman.

More likely they sign a free agent receiver
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:22 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I don’t think they grab any more free agent lineman. I think they’ll draft a lineman within the first 2 rounds. Whether that be a first round tackle they move to guard, or a 2nd round guard. (Or even 3rd round)

They’re gonna have some weaknesses at the 2 other line spots though.

I think out of Hopkins Spain and XSF, 2 will be starting on the line in 2021

I think the front office rolls over some money instead of spending on another free agent lineman.

More likely they sign a free agent receiver

My best case scenario,

Trade down, get an extra 2nd rounder.

Take Slater in round one.

Round two: Basham from Wake and Carman from Clemson.

Both guard spots filled. Edge rusher added.

Round 3 on, go get your toys since Burrow will be protected.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That level of bad Bengal like logic is what cost Burrow one knee already.

No
No
No

O-line is the only smart play.

How many years did Pitt win this division with Ben under center. Look at what they would do. Draft WR in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round, burn through him, move on. They were successful because they spent early picks on the right position group... O-line. 

Give Burrow time and he'll make 4th rounders look like 1st rounders. 

He can't make 4th round guards look like 1st rounders.

Why does everyone want the kid on IR again with these Pitts and Chase picks that lead to Michael Jordan at G again... or a prayer that some 3rd round guard can be better then the 4th round guard he's replacing.

I think they're may be some disconnect in regards to conversation.

In a perfect world I would have already signed a guard, and a good one at that.  But we haven't signed one, and the pool of talent is looking less and less desirable by the second.

I'm not saying that plugging in a 2nd round pick at guard is ideal, I'm saying it might be ideal right now given the market.

Obviously you disagree with signing a WR and you want OL help instead.  That's fine.  I keep asking this question to Frank, and have yet to get an answer, but maybe you will...

What guard would you like us to sign right now that would prevent us from signing a decent WR?  Give me a name.
Reply/Quote
JuJu just resigned with Steelers for 1yr 8mil...

Golladay good luck with that 18m want buddy LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:26 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think they're may be some disconnect in regards to conversation.

In a perfect world I would have already signed a guard, and a good one at that.  But we haven't signed one, and the pool of talent is looking less and less desirable by the second.

I'm not saying that plugging in a 2nd round pick at guard is ideal, I'm saying it might be ideal right now given the market.

Obviously you disagree with signing a WR and you want OL help instead.  That's fine.  I keep asking this question to Frank, and have yet to get an answer, but maybe you will...

What guard would you like us to sign right now that would prevent us from signing a decent WR?  Give me a name.

Sign? There isn't anyone left to sign.

I'd trade out of 5 unless Sewell is there. If Sewell is gone, there will be atleast one or 2 QBs left that people want.

Move down a few spots, take Slater and one G spot is filled. 

Now in the trade you better pick up a 2nd rounder. That 2nd rounder becomes Carman from Clemson who projects better at G then T.

This leaves you the other 2nd, the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and two 7th's to get a WR or TE.

If you give Burrow a stout O-line, he will make those late round WR's look good. Give him time, they'll get open or he will throw them open.

The only thing he can't overcome... is a shitty O-line, and we missed the boat on the FA's that were worth getting at G. Maybe you get Turner and hope he can get it back together, but again I wouldn't want to use hope and prayer when it comes to protecting Burrow's knees.

A healthy season of Burrow is the most important thing. 

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:30 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: JuJu just resigned with Steelers for 1yr 8mil...

Golladay good luck with that 18m want buddy LOL

Golladay is a number 1

Juju absolutely NEEDS a better receiver across from him in order to be decent
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Golladay is a number 1

Juju absolutely NEEDS a better receiver across from him in order to be decent

Teams do NOT View him as a True #1. There is a reason he wasn't tagged for the 18m price, and also why he is still looking. I guarantee whoever signs him won't be at that price.  Also probably the reason he used us to get a bottom line to try and drive up his cost some.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: QB - Joe Burrow (100% healthy with a year of experience)
WR - Kenny Golladay
WR - Tee Higgins
WR - Tyler Boyd
TE - Kyle Pitts

I don't know about the guard and center situation right now, but I know looking this list makes me think of this video...

You're getting me too excited my man & I'd hold the same excitement if Pitts = Chase.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:35 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Teams do NOT View him as a True #1. There is a reason he wasn't tagged for the 18m price, and also why he is still looking. I guarantee whoever signs him won't be at that price.  Also probably the reason he used us to get a bottom line to try and drive up his cost some.

Kenny G is much more of a number 1 than schuster though. This is a fact.

Golladay just has some injury problems
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:24 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: My best case scenario,

Trade down, get an extra 2nd rounder.

Take Slater in round one.

Round two: Basham from Wake and Carman from Clemson.

Both guard spots filled. Edge rusher added.

Round 3 on, go get your toys since Burrow will be protected.

I would be completely fine with this. Really, if Sewell or Slater get drafted, I’d kick them to G. Sewell may not be okay with that, however, at least not permanently. He is a prototype tackle and will be more valuable there. Taking Slater and kicking him inside would be a more permanent fix. A line of

Jonah - Slater - Price/Hopkins (weak point) - Spain? - Reiff

Would be a solid line. They need to sign a FA G IMO to make this work. Grab Trai, re-sign Spain. Something.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: QB - Joe Burrow (100% healthy with a year of experience)
WR - Kenny Golladay
WR - Tee Higgins
WR - Tyler Boyd
TE - Kyle Pitts

I don't know about the guard and center situation right now, but I know looking this list makes me think of this video...

probly be a while before burrow is back to 100%....  beyond beginning of the season
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Kenny G is much more of a number 1 than schuster though. This is a fact.

Golladay just has some injury problems

Yeah he is more of a 1 then JuJu but when it comes to the market that doesn't matter. He wants Wr1 money at 18ish a year. He isn't getting that.

Not to mention the Hip Flexor he had last year that was supposedly minor as per his camp, yet dude played 5 games?  Smirk
Reply/Quote
I can't take it anymore:

GOLLADAY.
Reply/Quote
QB - Joe Burrow (100% healthy with a year of experience)

WR - Kenny Golladay  Sammy Watkins
WR - Tee Higgins
WR - Tyler Boyd
TE - Kyle Pitts

Kenny aint worth 18 mil. Specially coming off an injury year.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 02:39 PM)Fulcher_33 Wrote: Yeah he is more of a 1 then JuJu but when it comes to the market that doesn't matter. He wants Wr1 money at 18ish a year. He isn't getting that.

Not to mention the Hip Flexor he had last year that was supposedly minor as per his camp, yet dude played 5 games?  Smirk

I think Kenny sat that year out when he could’ve returned. He really didn’t like Patricia or the Lions at all
Reply/Quote