Poll: Which of these applies to you?
This poll is closed.
I know someone who is gay.
16.89%
25 16.89%
I am friends/family with someone who is gay.
18.92%
28 18.92%
I am gay.
0.68%
1 0.68%
I know someone who is trans.
7.43%
11 7.43%
I am friends/family with someone who is trans.
2.70%
4 2.70%
I am trans.
0%
0 0%
I know someone who is Muslim.
14.19%
21 14.19%
I am friends/family with someone who is Muslim.
6.76%
10 6.76%
I am Muslim.
0%
0 0%
I know someone who is Mexican.
18.24%
27 18.24%
I am friends/family with someone who is Mexican.
14.19%
21 14.19%
I am Mexican.
0%
0 0%
Total 148 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just a poll
(06-22-2016, 04:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You may have gotten more honest feedback if you have not made the results public.

Got something your hiding?
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(06-22-2016, 04:57 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Got something your hiding?

Nope, nothing to hide, it is more so, who you know?

For instance Gays make up less that 2% of the population but so far everybody knows one and most are family/friends. Same can be said about the ratio for trans. many folks have spouted off about how many gay/trans friends they have; I doubt this is true for everyone that says so; however, they are going to check yes in the public poll.

But yes, full disclosure: I am Mexican (gasp). 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-22-2016, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, nothing to hide, it is more so, who you know?

For instance Gays make up less that 2% of the population but so far everybody knows one and most are family/friends. Same can be said about the ratio for trans. many folks have spouted off about how many gay/trans friends they have; I doubt this is true for everyone that says so; however, they are going to check yes in the public poll.

I would counter that this message board isn't exactly a perfect microcosm of the population as a whole. Otherwise there'd be a lot less Muslim bashing.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(06-22-2016, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But yes, full disclosure: I am Mexican (gasp). 

Odele vato
(full disclosure: I have no idea if that's spelled right. I've only heard the saying)
(06-22-2016, 05:06 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I would counter that this message board isn't exactly a perfect microcosm of the population as a whole. Otherwise there'd be a lot less Muslim bashing.

Y yo se que esto es Internet; no todo el mundo va a ser 100% honesto.

(06-22-2016, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nope, nothing to hide, it is more so, who you know?

For instance Gays make up less that 2% of the population but so far everybody knows one and most are family/friends. 

Being that they make up only 2% of the population in no way directly relates to the number of people they can know or be family members with.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-22-2016, 05:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Y yo se que esto es Internet; no todo el mundo va a ser 100% honesto.

No hablo Español.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(06-22-2016, 05:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Y yo se que esto es Internet; no todo el mundo va a ser 100% honesto.

Esto es muy cierto.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-22-2016, 05:23 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Being that they make up only 2% of the population in no way directly relates to the number of people they can know or be family members with.

Okey Doke

(06-22-2016, 04:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How can I am friends/family with Gay have more votes than i know someone who is gay?

There may have been some that figured it was an escalating thing and only one should be chosen from each. Not sure, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

I mean, if you know 50 people, you're likely to know one gay person. Makes sense that most people at least know someone who is gay, but I can see your point with "friend/family". Are people stretching the use of the word "friend"? At the same time, we're not exactly a perfect representation of the US.

The fact that only 3 people have family members or friends who are trans isn't too surprising since roughly 17 people voted. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-22-2016, 06:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I mean, if you know 50 people, you're likely to know one gay person. Makes sense that most people at least know someone who is gay, but I can see your point with "friend/family". Are people stretching the use of the word "friend"? At the same time, we're not exactly a perfect representation of the US.

The fact that only 3 people have family members or friends who are trans isn't too surprising since roughly 17 people voted. 
I think the term "know" could also be interpreted differently. I mean are we talking in the biblical sense or are we talking an acquaintance, or are we talking one of the stylists at my barber shop?

(06-22-2016, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the term "know" could also be interpreted differently. I mean are we talking in the biblical sense or are we talking an acquaintance, or are we talking one of the stylists at my barber shop?

As the creator of the poll, I meant "know" as in there is someone who have met who you can give a name to (coworker, barber, cousin's friend). 

I'm shocked at how this thread has been handled so far
People suck
(06-22-2016, 09:53 PM)Griever Wrote: I'm shocked at how this thread has been handled so far

I think you are being a little harsh on the OP

(06-22-2016, 09:53 PM)Griever Wrote: I'm shocked at how this thread has been handled so far

We've only had civilized people contribute. 

I just remembered.... I do know someone who is trans.
I haven't seen or heard of them for 15 years, but know them through a friend.
(06-22-2016, 10:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We've only had civilized people contribute. 

This.

I would imagine this sort of thing would vary by place.  I know gay/trans/Muslim people, but I attended a liberals arts college, worked at a college, and live in a place where people who belong to those groups tend not to be persecuted. Hell, I know someone who has had an abortion, too. People might not admit this stuff elsewhere for fear of reprisal or losing one's job, etc.

The wacky thing about it is that people aren't becoming MORE gay/trans/left-handed etc. as much as it's increasingly OK to be those things as time progresses (well, in certain places).  Hell, the odd thing is that 0% of people will admit to being pedophiles, but I'd wager you've crossed paths with a non-offender who is in your lifetime.

Numbers, neurology, and self-admission are all different things. 
(06-22-2016, 04:54 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: you can make multiple choices.  In you case, much like mine you should have selected both options.

There you go...talking like a thug again. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."