Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just football news, not pandemic related
Bengals extended Tony Brown today. I think he’s going to be a great core ST player while occupying the 5th/6th CB position.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-sign-tony-brown-to-contract-extension
Reply/Quote
He's down working out at the same place as Carlos Dunlap in Miami

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Good move. He's got great stats, for a back end of the roster type of player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Curious as to why they call this a "contract extension".

How can we sign a player under contract with another team? He was not with the Bengals last year was he?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 07:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Curious as to why they call this a "contract extension".

How can we sign a player under contract with another team?  He was not with the Bengals last year was he?

we picked him up on waivers and he was assigned to us after the Super Bowl.  Because it was still in the 2019 league year he was signed to a "1 year contract" that in reality was only until next week.  So yes, technically signing him for 2020 is an extension

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This could be a great grab honestly, I like Tony Brown, good player and has a few games as a starting Corner.
Reply/Quote
Good deal
Reply/Quote
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Cool, so scratch the idea of drafting a CB after the 5th round.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 12:20 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Cool, so scratch the idea of drafting a CB after the 5th round.

I think you will still see one maybe 2 CBs drafted this year
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 08:56 AM)corpjet Wrote: I think you will still see one maybe 2 CBs drafted this year

Likely so, depending largely upon what the team does with Kirkpatrick and Dennard.  I think what he was getting at is not to look for back of the roster types, as we found our "STer, depth guy" in Tony Brown.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 06:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Bengals extended Tony Brown today. I think he’s going to be a great core ST player while occupying the 5th/6th CB position.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-sign-tony-brown-to-contract-extension

wasn't this a guy we had on our PS then he got away nows he back or am I thinking of another CB?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 08:56 AM)corpjet Wrote: I think you will still see one maybe 2 CBs drafted this year

trading back that 2nd round pick could help do just that.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 09:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wasn't this a guy we had on our PS then he got away nows he back or am I thinking of another CB?

You might be thinking of the guy from Michigan State? Bengals got this Brown on waivers just last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 07:20 PM)pally Wrote: we picked him up on waivers and he was assigned to us after the Super Bowl.  Because it was still in the 2019 league year he was signed to a "1 year contract" that in reality was only until next week.  So yes, technically signing him for 2020 is an extension

Thanks for the explanation.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 10:16 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: You might be thinking of the guy from Michigan State? Bengals got this Brown on waivers just last year.

not sure anymore. lol the years and mess together for me sometimes...
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 07:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Curious as to why they call this a "contract extension".

How can we sign a player under contract with another team?  He was not with the Bengals last year was he?

Probably the terms and stipulations are the same as his current contract is my guess.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 09:53 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Likely so, depending largely upon what the team does with Kirkpatrick and Dennard.  I think what he was getting at is not to look for back of the roster types, as we found our "STer, depth guy" in Tony Brown.

Yes. And plus, the guy from the CFL And we still have McGee. 

We'll have to see who they sign in FA, but it would take a special set of circumstances for us to take a CB with 33. Baun, Queen, and Murray
would have to be gone. And maybe Gladney falls? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 08:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This could be a great grab honestly, I like Tony Brown, good player and has a few games as a starting Corner.

Yep, and it adds depth that might make Dre expendable.  I like the sound of using some of Dre's money elsewhere...
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2020, 11:44 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Yes. And plus, the guy from the CFL And we still have McGee. 

We'll have to see who they sign in FA, but it would take a special set of circumstances for us to take a CB with 33. Baun, Queen, and Murray
would have to be gone. And maybe Gladney falls? 

In the mocks I've been doing 33 seems like being a CB or DT but there's always the chance someone falls or that we tradeback.
Reply/Quote