Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
(04-21-2021, 07:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Forgot to mention, not necessarily for smoking, but they had beef tenderloin for $12.99. The one in Montgomery had them from 4-7 lbs.

Picked up a couple briskets, but our pork butt was 1.79 a pound, so I held off.

(04-21-2021, 08:15 PM)bjf123 Wrote: I’m thinking about getting a smoker, probably a Traeger. How are smokers for grilling steaks? I’m concerned they might not get hot enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno about the pellet smokers, but the Masterbuilt Gravity Series reaches 700 degrees.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:20 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Picked up a couple briskets, but our pork butt was 1.79 a pound, so I held off.

I dunno about the pellet smokers, but the Masterbuilt Gravity Series reaches 700 degrees.

Well that’s a bunch of BS. I was in Montgomery but I assumed it would be everywhere. Did you look at the actual price or just the sigh. They don’t always keep up
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 09:17 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well that’s a bunch of BS. I was in Montgomery but I assumed it would be everywhere. Did you look at the actual price or just the sigh. They don’t always keep up

Right on the package....

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well you saved me some money then.  Basically the rubs I know about are from watching youtube videos so they are pushing each other's stuff, and it may not be all that great.  Anyone ever try Heath Riles?

I have not but I've actually heard good things about hit. Try Loot N Booty too. Easily the best chicken rub I've ever used. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Picked up a couple briskets, but our pork butt was 1.79 a pound, so I held off.

Pellet grills get up to 600 degrees I think. 

That being said not sure if its worth doing steak on a smoker. Sear it on the grill for a few minutes each side and be done with it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 11:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pellet grills get up to 600 degrees I think. 

That being said not sure if its worth doing steak on a smoker. Sear it on the grill for a few minutes each side and be done with it. 

Agreed. The unit I bought is a combo unit. Smokes at 150, sears to 700. Once lit, it will hit 250 in 5 minutes, get to 600 in about 13. All charcoal and wood. I'm digging the shit out of it. The propane grill, and offset are feeling neglected...lol.

That said, a lot of people do reverse seared steaks on this thing and they turn out great. I haven't yet, but I will.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 10:40 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Right on the package....

Hmmmm...Maybe there’s a couple days difference based on deliveries. I know the Montgomery one had none until these $.99 ones showed up.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 11:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pellet grills get up to 600 degrees I think. 

I don't know man, I've had some amazing steaks from smokers.  I did 4 ribeyes in mine once with cherry wood that were fantastic.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 04:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Hmmmm...Maybe there’s a couple days difference based on deliveries.  I know the Montgomery one had none until these $.99 ones showed up.

You could be right.... I'll check back today.

Reply/Quote
Fwiw, I just opened up this page real quick without my glasses. At first glance I thought this thread said "Just got my first hooker".

Needless to say, I was a little disappointed when I realzied I misread it. I thought I was about to click on an EPIC thread. Hope you dig the smoker though!
Reply/Quote
We have a Dickeys opening up near us. Anyone ever been to one? Comes to $22 lb cooked if you buy a whole brisket, but they are either using flats or really small briskets. 4lb and 8lb are their offerings.

Also choice brisket is $2.99 at Kroger.

Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: We have a Dickeys opening up near us. Anyone ever been to one?  Comes to $22 lb cooked if you buy a whole brisket, but they are either using flats or really small briskets. 4lb and 8lb are their offerings.

Dickeys is very good.

Expensive. but good.   

So i generally get a 2 meat plate with a drink is around 15-16 dollars..
(they also have a daily special i believe 5-6 days a week)

2 portions of meat (your choice) 2 Sides a Roll
Drink with a keepable cup.  

And free ice cream after (if you eat inside at least)

Overall its really good BBQ imo  im sure some home cooks will say they are better etc.. But i have always enjoyed my meals there.   2 meat plate is sometimes hard for me to finish..  and i consider myself a larger dude. 

Also its first come first serve meaning if they run out of meat that takes all day to smoke well they cant just make some more real quick lol
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 11:32 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well you saved me some money then.  Basically the rubs I know about are from watching youtube videos so they are pushing each other's stuff, and it may not be all that great.  Anyone ever try Heath Riles?

I bought the Heath Riles Competition Rib Package.

[Image: heath-riles-combo-pack_optimized__01260....15.jpg?c=1]
I picked it up to try his rib recipe, but sold my smoker before I got a chance to do them. It'll be probably 4-5 more weeks until the new smoker gets picked up.  I did, however, use some of the stuff to make one of his meatloafs the day before the smoker got picked up, and it was off the hook good. I really like his stuff. 

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 09:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I bought the Heath Riles Competition Rib Package.

[Image: heath-riles-combo-pack_optimized__01260....15.jpg?c=1]
I picked it up to try his rib recipe, but sold my smoker before I got a chance to do them. It'll be probably 4-5 more weeks until the new smoker gets picked up.  I did, however, use some of the stuff to make one of his meatloafs the day before the smoker got picked up, and it was off the hook good. I really like his stuff. 

I worry for the health of some of our leading barbecue experts. LOL

I'm going to make  a pork butt this weekend.  If you had to pick one of those rubs, which would it be?  I've never had a pecan rub. That sounds interesting.

Edit:Crap I can't get it until Saturday.

Rural King in Lebanon has Heath Riles, but it doesn't look like they have the pecan. They do have the honey though, and it's only $7.99 for 16 oz as opposed to $13.99 on Amazon.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 10:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I worry for the health of some of our leading barbecue experts. LOL

I'm going to make  a pork butt this weekend.  If you had to pick one of those rubs, which would it be?  I've never had a pecan rub.  That sounds interesting.

Edit:Crap I can't get it until Saturday.

Rural King in Lebanon has Heath Riles, but it doesn't look like they have the pecan. They do have the honey though, and it's only $7.99 for 16 oz as opposed to $13.99 on Amazon.

I only used the Sweet and the Pecan on the meatloaf, so I haven't tried the rest yet. My go to for pork butts has for years been Plowboy's Yardbird. I ordered some Lane's BBQ "Spellbound" to try on my next one. I haven't done a butt with it yet, but I've sprinkled it on some grilled pork chops and it is very good (although a little expensive) I expect it to turn out a great pork butt. A buddy of mine loves the Pecan rub, bt it was used sparingly in the meatloaf recipe so I'm not sure I could really taste it. If you go straight to his website instead of Amazon, he has bundle prices.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 10:33 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I worry for the health of some of our leading barbecue experts. LOL

never trust a skinny cook lol
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 04:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: never trust a skinny cook lol

Heath and Malcolm are definitely cooks you can trust..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2021, 11:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: We have a Dickeys opening up near us. Anyone ever been to one?  Comes to $22 lb cooked if you buy a whole brisket, but they are either using flats or really small briskets. 4lb and 8lb are their offerings.

(05-24-2021, 05:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dickeys is very good.

Expensive. but good.   

So i generally get a 2 meat plate with a drink is around 15-16 dollars..
(they also have a daily special i believe 5-6 days a week)

2 portions of meat (your choice) 2 Sides a Roll
Drink with a keepable cup.  

And free ice cream after (if you eat inside at least)

Overall its really good BBQ imo  im sure some home cooks will say they are better etc.. But i have always enjoyed my meals there.   2 meat plate is sometimes hard for me to finish..  and i consider myself a larger dude. 

Also its first come first serve meaning if they run out of meat that takes all day to smoke well they cant just make some more real quick lol

We had a Dickies around for a time.  Only had anything from them once.  It was good, but there are/were FAR better places around, and it didn't last.
Reply/Quote
Wait who said Lebanon was their stomping grounds? I know I read that here. So who had been to Rural King? Since the high for Saturday is like 57 I’m going to do my butt on Sunday so I’m going to run up to Rural King on Saturday for the hell of it. Is that place pretty cool even if you don’t have livestock to feed?

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2021, 09:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wait who said Lebanon was their stomping grounds?  I know I read that here. So who had been to Rural King?  Since the high for Saturday is like 57 I’m going to do my butt on Sunday so I’m going to run up to Rural King on Saturday for the hell of it. Is that place pretty cool even if you don’t have livestock to feed?

Rural king is kinda like Super Country Walmart lol    minus the groceries..

I live in Lebanon
Reply/Quote