Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
I forgot to mention these new buns I tried. My wife likes to go low carb when she can and at Costco we saw these Natures Oven Keto friendly buns. 90 calories 26 carbs, 25 of which are dietary fiber and I have to tell you, they are like regular buns. They have a touch of chewiness which I actually liked, and if you’re over 50 like I am that is a crapload of fiber. Metamucil doesn’t come close to that. I’m scared it’s a Seinfeld lo-fat yogurt situation.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 05:51 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Happened to be in Lexington Ky. yesterday & tried out a place called The Blue Door Smokehouse.

Highly recommending it.

Best brisket sandwich I've ever eaten.

I wish Eli’s had brisket. I’m going to have to start looking for places whenever I’m in the south.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I forgot to mention these new buns I tried. My wife likes to go low carb when she can and at Costco we saw these Natures Oven Keto friendly buns. 90 calories 26 carbs, 25 of which are dietary fiber and I have to tell you, they are like regular buns. They have a touch of chewiness which I actually liked, and if you’re over 50 like I am that is a crapload of fiber. Metamucil doesn’t come close to that. I’m scared it’s a Seinfeld lo-fat yogurt situation.

Over 50 and liking the wife's new buns because she went low-carb... sounds like you're doing alright ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 07:45 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Looking forward to hearing how that new smoker works out for you!  

So, I got the thing first of January, and I've been dialing it in and learning it. So far, I've done ribs, smoked pickled jalapeno deviled eggs, a prime rib, and 5 chuck roasts. I've cooked on this thing 7 times in a little over a month. That's only two times less than I smoked all year last year! 

This thing is a BEAST. Wonderful flavor, great results, steady temps, and comes up to 250 in 7 minutes from ignition. When I seared my prime rib, it went from 250 to 600 in under 5 minutes. Set it, and forget it. I'm absolutely loving it. I season it after every cook, and do 600 degree burnoffs to keep it clean. They say that's the key to longevity. I put in a few inches of charcoal in the hopper, about 4 wood chunks, a little more charcoal, a few more chunks, and so on until it's full. I can monitor cooks from my phone.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 11:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: So, I got the thing first of January, and I've been dialing it in and learning it. So far, I've done ribs, smoked pickled jalapeno deviled eggs, a prime rib, and 5 chuck roasts. I've cooked on this thing 7 times in a little over a month. That's only two times less than I smoked all year last year! 

This thing is a BEAST. Wonderful flavor, great results, steady temps, and comes up to 250 in 7 minutes from ignition. When I seared my prime rib, it went from 250 to 600 in under 5 minutes. Set it, and forget it. I'm absolutely loving it. I season it after every cook, and do 600 degree burnoffs to keep it clean. They say that's the key to longevity. I put in a few inches of charcoal in the hopper, about 4 wood chunks, a little more charcoal, a few more chunks, and so on until it's full. I can monitor cooks from my phone.

That sounds awesome!  So basically Traeger-esque smart/electric cooking capabilities, but charcoal instead of pellets?  Do you use wood chunks/chips or pellets for smoke?  Or is it strictly charcoal-based?  I'm not familiar with that particular line but intrigued! 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 12:59 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That sounds awesome!  So basically Traeger-esque smart/electric cooking capabilities, but charcoal instead of pellets?  Do you use wood chunks/chips or pellets for smoke?  Or is it strictly charcoal-based?  I'm not familiar with that particular line but intrigued! 

Yes, it has a digital controller that runs a fan, which controls the oxygen to your fire. 

I use chunks mixed in with my charcoal in the feed hopper. You can also use splits.

The second edition is out now that has remedied a couple quirks from the first run.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 01:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, it has a digital controller that runs a fan, which controls the oxygen to your fire. 

I use chunks mixed in with my charcoal in the feed hopper. You can also use splits.

The second edition is out now that has remedied a couple quirks from the first run.

Awesome!  Definitely seems worth a look when I decide I'm tired of babysitting a wood fire all the time.  Appreciate the update! 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 02:01 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: He definitely puts some cash into his projects.  He was a teacher at some point in California but I believe he quit his job and is doing the YT thing full time.  Not sure where all the money comes from because he had quite the property in inland SoCal before he moved to Kentucky and definitely didn't seem to be scrimping on the kinds of meat he was getting.  

The problem I have is that I love the point of the brisket and start eating it as soon as it's ready and never leave enough to put back on to make burnt ends. One of these days I think I'll just get a separate point or toss a second brisket on just so I can do them.  I do love some burnt ends and I can't get good ones anywhere around here.  

I just did a brisket where I think I rendered the fat really well, and no way would I do burnt ends again. That point is just too damn good. The mouth feel and the flavor from the point is out of this world.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 07:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I forgot to mention these new buns I tried. My wife likes to go low carb when she can and at Costco we saw these Natures Oven Keto friendly buns. 90 calories 26 carbs, 25 of which are dietary fiber and I have to tell you, they are like regular buns. They have a touch of chewiness which I actually liked, and if you’re over 50 like I am that is a crapload of fiber. Metamucil doesn’t come close to that. I’m scared it’s a Seinfeld lo-fat yogurt situation.

Thanks man, my parents are Keto so this helps me MichaelSean. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2021, 12:50 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's absolutely true. The BBQ Pitmasters tv show ruined it for me. I swore one day if I heard one more person say "sweet with a little bit of heat" I was going to punch them. Just like everything else, money and popularity ruined a good thing... and KCBS became so political over contest issues it was just ridiculous. BBQ should be what it was at it's roots, a simple way to cook cheaply and turn out some of the best food on the planet.

I finally got around to watching a couple episodes. It seems like they have different formats each year and I watched a couple from season two where you have Myron Mixon, Warren Sapp and the annoying dude from all the other cooking shows as judges. I watched pork butt and brisket. First off the host is a douche. But really, well over half of the time is spent on the secret dish where one team gets eliminated and then the secret side at the end. It was a joke. I’ll check out some of the ones from the first season where it looks like Myron competes and they are bigger competitions, but I can tell you that at this point I don’t care much for the guy.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2021, 07:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I finally got around to watching a couple episodes. It seems like they have different formats each year and I watched a couple from season two where you have Myron Mixon, Warren Sapp and the annoying dude from all the other cooking shows as judges. I watched pork butt and brisket. First off the host is a douche. But really, well over half of the time is spent on the secret dish where one team gets eliminated and then the secret side at the end. It was a joke. I’ll check out some of the ones from the first season where it looks like Myron competes and they are bigger competitions, but I can tell you that at this point I don’t care much for the guy.

Myron is actually a very nice man. His show persona is all "put on" for tv. Now his son, he's a giant douche who acts like he is God's gift to BBQ just because he cooks on his father's team. Of all the competitors shown on that series over the years, If I were to get a chance to sit and eat bbq and drink bourbon with one of them it would be Myron or Johnny Trigg. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 09:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Myron is actually a very nice man. His show persona is all "put on" for tv. Now his son, he's a giant douche who acts like he is God's gift to BBQ just because he cooks on his father's team. Of all the competitors shown on that series over the years, If I were to get a chance to sit and eat bbq and drink bourbon with one of them it would be Myron or Johnny Trigg. 

Yeah I watched a couple more in season three (Franklin is a judge)and you can tell he’s just messing around and having some fun. By the stuff these guys do to brisket. Turbinado, honey and parkay halfway through the cook?

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 08:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah I watched a couple more in season three (Franklin is a judge)and you can tell he’s just messing around and having some fun. By the stuff these guys do to brisket. Turbinado, honey and parkay halfway through the cook?

Yeah, it's the reason competition BBQ sucks if you've ever eaten it. So much crap in one bite if you ate a serving you'd be sick. I used to score really well in most competitions, got some calls, won some money and trophies. Hated everything I cooked. Now, when I cook at home I cook the way I like it.
Reply/Quote
BOGO ribs at Kroger

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2021, 08:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I wish Eli’s had brisket. I’m going to have to start looking for places whenever I’m in the south.

Best brisket I've had (and that's my favorite thing) is Beastcraft outside STL. The wagyu brisket is the best I've had by far.
Reply/Quote
Figured I'd put his here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone make their own Jerky and if so is it don't in a smoker? I also have an Air Fryer
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2021, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured I'd put his here instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone make their own Jerky and if so is it don't in a smoker? I also have an Air Fryer

I made some in a dehydrator, but it was hard as a rock instead of chewy like jerky usually is.

Maybe I just over did it.
Reply/Quote
BTW I turned my kitchen oven into a smoker a while back.

All you have to do is put in some chicken in to bake and then fall asleep on the couch.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2021, 06:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured I'd put his here instead of starting a new thread.

I've never known anyone to make jerky in a smoker.  Dehydrator, oven, even know a guy here in Colorado who's hung it in his basement to cure/dry because it's so dry here.  But never had smoked jerky.  

Someone mentioned sale on ribs this past weekend.  Sam's had some good deals as well, so I grabbed some spare ribs and baby back.  I'll get to them maybe next month.  This past weekend I did some dry rubbed and smoked wings and some smoked queso for a neighborhood potluck.  People liked the wings, but went nuts over the queso.  2 days later and they're still raving.  It's the easiest recipe to make, but sometimes time and complexity aren't what the people want! 
Reply/Quote

We did some jerky in my cousin's Traeger, was great.
Reply/Quote