Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
(07-27-2021, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right. That's why I quit competing, I hated spending all that money to cook BBQ I didn't like. They want you to hit a mark on ribs where it bites clean, but I like mine fall off the bone. Most people that come to the house want them "fall off the bone" But in competition that would be overcooked. Brisket in competition is way to salty to enjoy. Chicken doesn't even look like chicken in most cases. As I was told by a friend of mine when I got into it, you can't cook to impress, you have to cook to offend the least amount of judges, so it can't be too tangy, too sweet, you have to shoot for what I call bland. I wouldn't even take the leftovers home. Now I find it much more relaxing and rewarding to cook what I like. 

Fall off the bone is the way man no question.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 10:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fall off the bone is the way man no question.

No doubt... 99% of people I know like them that way.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No doubt... 99% of people I know like them that way.

And I'm not sure I trust the other 1% Big Grin
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2021, 10:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Fall off the bone is the way man no question.

(07-28-2021, 08:45 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No doubt... 99% of people I know like them that way.

(07-28-2021, 06:48 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: And I'm not sure I trust the other 1% Big Grin

Absolutely agree. I've done the "competition bite" style. Just not a fan. I like when a gentle pull brings the bones right out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2021, 06:48 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: And I'm not sure I trust the other 1% Big Grin

Them folks just ain't right. Mellow
Reply/Quote

(07-28-2021, 09:45 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree. I've done the "competition bite" style. Just not a fan. I like when a gentle pull brings the bones right out.

(07-30-2021, 01:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Them folks just ain't right. Mellow

You guys nailed it!

I have a friend who is now convinced that fall off the bone is over cooked because of grilling shows and videos calling it such.  In my eyes, not falling off the bone is under cooked.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:29 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You guys nailed it!

I have a friend who is now convinced that fall off the bone is over cooked because of grilling shows and videos calling it such.  In my eyes, not falling off the bone is under cooked.

I like most beef cooked medium rare but with ribs it is just different, fall off the bone is the way. 

I agree the only time I don't like my beef a little under cooked is with ribs. 

It can be tough and sticks in your teeth if it doesn't fall off the bone. 

Don't know why someone would like this better than fall off the bone, craziness.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 07:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like most beef cooked medium rare but with ribs it is just different, fall off the bone is the way. 

Don't know why someone would like this better than fall off the bone, craziness.

I don't believe anyone really likes them that way. But, they hear it on tv on shows like Pitmasters, and a lot of them go to competition judging classes, then think they are experts, and that's how they should be . Ribs in competition are cooked to a "clean bite" simply to see if a cook can hit a mark without going past it. Same with brisket. I like my brisket a little more done than would score well in competition. But if you are cooking to eat instead of compete, ditch all that candy crap they put on competition ribs, and cook them to fall off the bones, and your you and your guests will be happy. 
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 07:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like most beef cooked medium rare but with ribs it is just different, fall off the bone is the way. 

Agreed.

All ribs, beef or pork, should be fall off the bone.

With the exception of ground beef, all other beef should be medium rare.

Beef that has been ground immediately prior to cooking can be medium rare, but other wise must be a minimum of medium well to properly kill any bacteria that has started to grow on the myriad of surfaces.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't believe anyone really likes them that way. But, they hear it on tv on shows like Pitmasters, and a lot of them go to competition judging classes, then think they are experts, and that's how they should be . Ribs in competition are cooked to a "clean bite" simply to see if a cook can hit a mark without going past it. Same with brisket. I like my brisket a little more done than would score well in competition. But if you are cooking to eat instead of compete, ditch all that candy crap they put on competition ribs, and cook them to fall off the bones, and your you and your guests will be happy. 

Dumb bastids being influenced by TV shows lol

The mouth don't lie. Smirk

(08-07-2021, 11:20 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Agreed.

All ribs, beef or pork, should be fall off the bone.

With the exception of ground beef, all other beef should be medium rare.

Beef that has been ground immediately prior to cooking can be medium rare, but other wise must be a minimum of medium well to properly kill any bacteria that has started to grow on the myriad of surfaces.

Spot on brother, this is the way you cook meat. Cool
Reply/Quote
So does anyone keep the membrane on to help hold the ribs together while cooking? My nephew did the with the membrane on, and I noticed it became brittle and came right off.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 09:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So does anyone keep the membrane on to help hold the ribs together while cooking?  My nephew did the with the membrane on, and I noticed it became brittle and came right off.

So i have always kept the silver on because I found it difficult to remove.  However two rib cooks ago I noticed a video that showed how to do it easily with a butter knife, so I tried it and it worked.  The last cook I did it again to show my better half how to do it in case she ever wanted to do so.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 09:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So i have always kept the silver on because I found it difficult to remove.  However two rib cooks ago I noticed a video that showed how to do it easily with a butter knife, so I tried it and it worked.  The last cook I did it again to show my better half how to do it in case she ever wanted to do so.

Hmmm, Hmm

With a butter knife eh...
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 09:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So i have always kept the silver on because I found it difficult to remove.  However two rib cooks ago I noticed a video that showed how to do it easily with a butter knife, so I tried it and it worked.  The last cook I did it again to show my better half how to do it in case she ever wanted to do so.

Yeah it’s pretty easy with a knife and a paper towel for grip.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hmmm, Hmm

With a butter knife eh...

(08-10-2021, 09:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah it’s pretty easy with a knife and a paper towel for grip.

The butter knife is literally just to get it started.

The idea is to go to the center of the rack and use a butter knife to SLOWLY pry the silver up enough to start to get your finger underneath it.  You then work your finger through little by little until it goes all the way through.  You can then start to pull away the silver and grab the rack as a handle and pull away the whole thing.

If I can find the video I saw of it, I will post it here.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 10:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The butter knife is literally just to get it started.

The idea is to go to the center of the rack and use a butter knife to SLOWLY pry the silver up enough to start to get your finger underneath it.  You then work your finger through little by little until it goes all the way through.  You can then start to pull away the silver and grab the rack as a handle and pull away the whole thing.

If I can find the video I saw of it, I will post it here.

Found it!

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=how+to+remove+the+silver+from+ribs#kpvalbx=_1SgTYf3JK8-5qtsP4tKU8A451
Reply/Quote
It's also easier if you set them on the counter for about 15 minutes instead of trying to do it right out of the refrigerator.
Reply/Quote
If you get it right on top of a bone it's a lot easier to get started.

But I'll admit I've also just scored the back of the ribs before cooking and not even noticed I didn't take it off. When they're smoked to tender and that membrane is just along the bone side, it really just isn't super noticeable (to me at least).
Reply/Quote
A lot has to do with what temperature you are smoking at as well. If you stay down around 225, the membrane will still be there and IMO is quite nasty. If you go up around 300, it burns away and you never know it was there.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 11:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot has to do with what temperature you are smoking at as well. If you stay down around 225, the membrane will still be there and IMO is quite nasty. If you go up around 300, it burns away and you never know it was there.

I wonder what that length is.  I've never paid super close attention.  But I know that my ribs are hitting higher temps for sure at various points in the smoke.  A downside/benefit to the stick burner is some temp fluctuation! 
Reply/Quote