Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Justice Alito flew "stop the steal" symbol
(05-21-2024, 01:08 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's no wonder you didn't get what he was saying. Both partners are equal, but if an agreement between the two just can't be reached, then the man has the final say (this is not meant for every situation, only in extreme ones). 
However, you should always respect and treat your partner and understand that you are a team. 

That's exactly what I understood him to say: both partners are equal and the man has the final say. 

I just can't be snookered into calling that "equality." Framing that as a "team" relationship doesn't change anything. 

I didn't hear him say in some marriages the wife can have the final say for "the team."  
Why should it be the man, even only in "extreme cases"? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 10:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: Couple personal notes:

1) He's speaking at a Catholic school so I understand the context of his speech.
2) It took all of three paragraphs to get political and accuse Biden of not being a real Catholic.
3) The line about "my teammates girlfriend" seems derisive in the text w/o hearing the tone of voice.  Watching the video at least he smirks?
4) He makes mention about making sure people receive the sacraments even during the worst times...ignoring that some of those worst times were caused  by or ignored completely by the Catholic church.
5) I'm really not sure about this line: "I am certain the reporters at the AP could not have imagined that their attempt to rebuke and embarrass places and people like those here at Benedictine wouldn't be met with anger..." I never heard of this school before he spoke there.
6) I bolded the section where speaks to the higher calling of being a mother and wife vs a career.  Given where he was speaking I imagine more than a few are thinking about such things. 
6a) His line about his wife not realizing HER dreams of a career but that "her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother." sounds bad, to me.  I understand his praise of her supporting HIM as he lives HIS dreams though too.  
7) He also talks about men being home and part of the family.  Good point.
7a) Then he leans in and implies men must be the leaders of all things.  Eh.  

The rest is about proselytizing and making sure the graduates stay where they are welcome and continue their faith...which is the opposite of proselytizing if you ask me, but it was his speech, not mine.

Overall I get the people who were not happy about what he said.  Given the venue and audience, and what I now know about his own faith, it was him being honest.

He thinks change, even away from the Latin Mass, is bad and is destroying society.  As a born and raised Catholic who also attended a Benedictine Liberal Arts college I know these people and I disagree with him.
No one has to agree.  Many don't.

Excellent and thorough contextualization. The speech was mostly targeted lapsing Catholics. A lot of his concerns are hard for non-Catholics to get worked up about.

As to the bolded--one of the primary issues of Second Wave Feminism back in the 60s, and books like Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique, was that young women are taught from girlhood that their real and true fulfillment only comes through marriage and children, and that women who think otherwise are only deceiving themselves. Men's fulfillment comes through their careers--but they need unconditional support at home from wives devoted to their and their children's needs.

Then, as now apparently, people asked "What's so wrong with that?" Most men back then answered "Nothing that I can see." ThumbsUp

The first voices to answer in the negative, however, were talented women who had given up their careers for marriage and children, and found their lives rather empty after their children were grown. Alongside them were bright young women who didn't understand why their brothers had all these life choices before them while they were being channeled into one. 

As the laws reflected  Butker's views, it was the goal of the movement to roll back legal and social bars to women's advancement. As women's rights advanced, lots of men felt threatened, as did some women. Phyllis Schlafly comes to bind here, and here successful push to stall the ERA. She was the first that I recall to flip the feminist argument for "choice" and "equality" into a defense of traditional restrictions as a "career choice" the feminists were trying to restrict. Shouldn't women have the right to find fullfilment in home and marriage, understood as team in which the man is the boss. A family, like a car, can only have "one driver" she said, while framing the marriage choice as all about freedom. 

I can see why people who remember that history might have negative thoughts about Butker's celebration of that traditional view and see in it a risk to feminist gains, just as people troubled by gender equality might celebrate his praise for traditional patriarchy. 
Reply/Quote
And today it has been revealed that he flew a Christian Nationalist flag over his beach house in New York.

This is clearly a man who has decided to take off all veils of judicial impartiality and is open with his political beliefs and aims

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOU1WzgZ5HY6v6muKTm9B...ESlvLfr8&s]

A second flag!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 06:59 PM)pally Wrote: And today it has been revealed that he flew a Christian Nationalist flag over his beach house in New York.

This is clearly a man who has decided to take off all veils of judicial impartiality and is open with his political beliefs and aims

If I'm MAGA I'm likely happy to see more evidence of Trump support on the Supreme Court, to protect Trump and counter
Biden's weaponization of gov.

If I'm a right wing "independent," that just looks another faux issue whipped up by the liberal press. Judge has a right to fly whatever flag he wants. 

I'm none of those, though, so I too am disturbed at how openly a Supreme Court justice signals partiality, and even more 
disturbed that this one knows he doesn't have to explain him self or recuse himself from any 1/6 case. 

We used to hear that Roberts was very concerned about how the SCOTUS is perceived and maybe that accounts for why
he wouldn't declare the ACA unconstitutional. Doesn't seem like he's bothering with that anymore.

SCOTUS choices should be front and center of the Biden campaign. Giving Trump one or two more appointments would solidify
his personal protection from accountability and speed up the roll back of civil rights as they continue to protect "freedoms." 
Reply/Quote
[Image: Screenshot-2024-05-29-140515.png]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Flying the American flag upside down and spitting at your neighbor.

Just unacceptable behavior.

Glad Alito did the right thing and recused himself because of the embarrassing display which should bring shame to his family.

Oh wait. I’m being told he told the majority of the country to shove it up their ass, the SCOTUS is corrupt and there is nothing we can do about it.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2024, 11:01 AM)Dill Wrote: How could Ms. Alito count on her neighbor knowing the flag was aimed at the neighbor,

and NOT a statement of MAGA support? 

I really don't see a message sent to a neighbor in this, or how it could be a response to name-calling.

Even if it were, it is almost equally bad judgment for a SCOTUS household to lower itself to such exchanges.

Is this on the same level as Nancy ripping up Trump's SotU speech papers on National TV?

Nah, not even close, Nancy became a Karen on national TV. 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2024, 02:38 PM)Dill Wrote: That's exactly what I understood him to say: both partners are equal and the man has the final say. 

I just can't be snookered into calling that "equality." Framing that as a "team" relationship doesn't change anything. 

I didn't hear him say in some marriages the wife can have the final say for "the team."  
Why should it be the man, even only in "extreme cases"? 

if you think the man always wins final say, then you don't know women. Besides, If he told you the truth, there would be alot less marriages.

It's just words. Why do you take it so personally? When you married your wife, did you request the Obey part to be taken out or not or did she tell you to have it taken out? My wife wasn't fond of that term, but wasn't going to not marry be because of it, so I requested it to be excluded with out her knowing. But again, just words and everyone interprets them differently. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 04:21 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: if you think the man always wins final say, then you don't know women. Besides, If he told you the truth,  there would be alot less marriages.

It's just words. Why do you take it so personally? When you married your wife, did you request the Obey part to be taken out or not or did she tell you to have it taken out? My wife wasn't fond of that term, but wasn't going to not marry be because of it, so I requested it to be excluded with out her knowing. But again, just words and everyone interprets them differently. 

You mean all these self called alpha men, bragging everywhere how masculine they can't help to be are in fact house kitties ? 

Call me surprised mate. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 04:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Is this on the same level as Nancy ripping up Trump's SotU speech papers on National TV?

I didn't care for that by Pelosi either, but at least she had the balls to do it where she was shown to do it and not try to hide it and blame someone else.

You do something to make a statement at least own up to it.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 04:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Is this on the same level as Nancy ripping up Trump's SotU speech papers on National TV?

It depends. Do you think the SCOTUS should be apolitical? I expect things like this from political actors.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 04:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Is this on the same level as Nancy ripping up Trump's SotU speech papers on National TV?

Nancy is a politician who made a political statement

Alito is supposedly a non-political Supreme Court Justice making a political statement around incidents he has to make rulings on

They are not even in the same universe of being the same

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 09:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It depends. Do you think the SCOTUS should be apolitical? I expect things like this from political actors.

(05-30-2024, 10:12 AM)pally Wrote: Nancy is a politician who made a political statement

Alito is supposedly a non-political Supreme Court Justice making a political statement around incidents he has to make rulings on

Something tells me you don't complain about the liberal judges....
Reply/Quote

(05-30-2024, 09:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It depends. Do you think the SCOTUS should be apolitical? I expect things like this from political actors.

(05-30-2024, 10:12 AM)pally Wrote: Nancy is a politician who made a political statement

(05-30-2024, 11:15 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Something tells me you don't complain about the liberal judges....
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 11:15 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Something tells me you don't complain about the liberal judges....

Which ruling they had was completely biaised to you ? 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote

If one of the liberal judges make a blantent poltiical statement like those made by the Alito's then yes I would complain about them.

But, please show me a similar incident

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 11:15 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Something tells me you don't complain about the liberal judges....

I am not really complaining about Alito, either. I just want people to admit that justices and judges are political actors and stop pretending they aren't.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 11:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am not really complaining about Alito, either. I just want people to admit that justices and judges are political actors and stop pretending they aren't.

Not arguing whether they currently are or are not.  But is it not possible for a bench officer to have political opinions and not allow them to sway their judicial impartiality?  Claiming otherwise makes one sound like a Trump supporter regarding his NYC case.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2024, 11:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I am not really complaining about Alito, either. I just want people to admit that justices and judges are political actors and stop pretending they aren't.

true...but generally they aren't quite as blantent about them as Alito was.

Reply/Quote