Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justice Scalia Reportedly Passes Away
Found in his home. Natural causes. Waiting for a legitimate confirmation but seems official.

http://www.kvia.com/news/breaking-surpreme-court-justice-scalia-dies-during-hunting-trip-in-marfa/37981652#.Vr-j2zGfVUQ.twitter
Ugh. Great now Obama gets to force yet another terrible judge on us .

Great Obamacare dissent by Scalia. RIP.
(02-13-2016, 07:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Great Obamacare dissent by Scalia.   RIP.

This will be quite the distraction as Republicans, justifiably, use their control of the Senate to block approval of a liberal Justice.  Dems would do the same given similar circumstances, and could potentially use a filibuster if Obama doesn't nominate a Justice that is liberal enough,

Will be a hugely contentious confirmation process Scalia and two other conservative Justices were, at times, the only thing standing in the way of a Supreme Court rubber-stamping the liberal agenda.  

I'd settle for a moderate who relies on the rule of law and the Constitution to make decisions.
A fierce defender of the Constitution. Liberals are celebrating.
Never like to see any one die, but the country will move a little further out of the 1950's for it.

[Image: 114341_600.jpg]
(02-13-2016, 07:31 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: This will be quite the distraction as Republicans, justifiably, use their control of the Senate to block approval of a liberal Justice.  Dems would do the same given similar circumstances, and could potentially use a filibuster if Obama doesn't nominate a Justice that is liberal enough,

Will be a hugely contentious confirmation process Scalia and two other conservative Justices were, at times, the only thing standing in the way of a Supreme Court rubber-stamping the liberal agenda.  

I'd settle for a moderate who relies on the rule of law and the Constitution to make decisions.

I hope they drag it out. We don't need a moderate we need someone who will stand for the constitution.
(02-13-2016, 07:52 PM)Vlad Wrote: A fierce defender of the Constitution. Liberals are celebrating.

A liberal judge should never get past Senate confirmation.  Liberals will have to hope to flip the Senate in 2016 AND win the Presidency.

Will be interesting to see how this changes the dynamics of the November elections.
(02-13-2016, 07:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I hope they drag it out.  We don't need a moderate we need someone who will stand for the constitution.

I prefer judges who don't make decisions based on political ideology.  I'd be fine with Constitutional Justices, but a liberal court re-writing the Constitution?  Hell no.
(02-13-2016, 07:52 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Never like to see any one die, but the country will move a little further out of the 1950's for it.

Sure you don't.

Exactly how deep are we still mired in the 1950's?
One thing I have heard repeatedly about Scalia, is how no matter how much you disagreed with him and how much you hated him, he was always kind to people.
Apparently he and his wife would vacation with Ruth Bader Ginsberg and her husband despite being polar opposites politically.

Sad that someone who seemed capable of this is gone when it's really what we need more of, civil discourse.
(02-13-2016, 08:18 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: One thing I have heard repeatedly about Scalia, is how no matter how much you disagreed with him and how much you hated him, he was always kind to people.
Apparently he and his wife would vacation with Ruth Bader Ginsberg and her husband despite being polar opposites politically.

Sad that someone who seemed capable of this is gone when it's really what we need more of, civil discourse.

Indeed.

As for the new Justice, that seat won't be filled until after the election cycle. No matter who Obama puts up,the GOP will think they can do better on their own if they win the election, and so won't let anything happen.
(02-13-2016, 08:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Indeed.

As for the new Justice, that seat won't be filled until after the election cycle. No matter who Obama puts up,the GOP will think they can do better on their own if they win the election, and so won't let anything happen.

Right. Which is the Senate's right to do so, whether or not I agree with it is another thing.

If Obama were smart, he would find a "moderate" to nominate. One he may not agree with on all things but would be a very hard nominee to reject for 9 months.

I'd like to see an identified "libertarian" judge get nominate but we know how likely that is. 
(02-13-2016, 08:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'd like to see an identified "libertarian" judge get nominate but we know how likely that is. 

That would be awesome.  It will also never happen as most Repubs are just as big-govt as Dems....and so pretty much 90% of the Senate would vote down a libertarian.

But it would be great seeing a libertarian dissent with nearly every decision on the basis of limited govt and individual liberties.  Gay rights, especially, because the libertarian would say "the govt can't say two people can't get married....yet the govt shouldn't be in the marriage business"
(02-13-2016, 08:43 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: That would be awesome.  It will also never happen as most Repubs are just as big-govt as Dems....and so pretty much 90% of the Senate would vote down a libertarian.

But it would be great seeing a libertarian dissent with nearly every decision on the basis of limited govt and individual liberties.  Gay rights, especially, because the libertarian would say "the govt can't say two people can't get married....yet the govt shouldn't be in the marriage business"

Yep. 
Would be a fun sight to see. 

There were things about Scalia I liked and things I didn't like. 
Zerker, thanks for the heads up and I truly appreciate the info; however, I ask two things of the board:

1. Leave the thread to talk about a charismatic man that served his country with honor.

2. Start a new thread discussing the politics of selecting a new SCJ, without mentioning the passing of Justice Scalia.

About the man:

They say he and Ginsberg were the best friends of the SCJs

Father of 9 that passed after returning from a hunting trip at 79

His decentions were always a good read and were better than his affirmations
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
While he lived in the past with regards to social issues, his dissents at least presented a strict interpretation of the Constitution that invoked parts of the constitution often ignored.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-13-2016, 10:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: While he lived in the past with regards to social issues, his dissents at least presented a strict interpretation of the Constitution that invoked parts of the constitution often ignored.

A perfect definition of a Supreme Court justice.
(02-14-2016, 02:19 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: A perfect definition of a Supreme Court justice.

I'm not sure if living in the past in regards to social issues is really all that laudable, but I'm one of those fools who thinks liberty is good or something.  
(02-13-2016, 08:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zerker, thanks for the heads up and I truly appreciate the info; however, I ask two things of the board:

1. Leave the thread to talk about a charismatic man that served his country with honor.

2. Start a new thread discussing the politics of selecting a new SCJ, without mentioning the passing of Justice Scalia.

About the man:

They say he and Ginsberg were the best friends of the SCJs

Father of 9 that passed after returning from a hunting trip at 79

His decentions were always a good read and were better than his affirmations

(Note:  I swear on my life there is no sarcasm in this post.  I mean exactly what I am saying.  After I typed it I realized it could come off as an attempt at dark humor. It is not that at all)

I'll admit I know very little about him as a human being.  No matter who I disagree with or agree with I tend to assume they have SOMEONE in their personal lives that loves them.  For them I feel bad.

On the other hand, like when a celebrity dies, I can't wring out any emotion since they are not part of my family/circle and lots of people died yesterday but only one or two get headlines made about it.

Good thoughts to his family and friends.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I don't see the point in feeling bad for him because he's surely cashing in big in heaven, given all those years of enforcing archaic discrimination and all.