Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Fields
So, after all the talk about how he was falling down boards and Lawrence was the undisputed #1 overall pick in the draft, Fields goes out and destroys Clemson.

His stat line?

22/28 for 385 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT (which was partially deflected, but an INT nonetheless) with 8 rushes for 42 yards

Trever Lawrence?

33/48 for 400 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT with 10 rushes for -8 yards

10% higher completion %. a whopping 5.45 yards greater PER ATTEMPT, Similar yards, 4 more TDs, and 50 yards more rushing.

I am going to suspect those that were crapping on Fields leading up to the game will say something to the effect of how OSU had the better defense (you would be right, although I think I heard over and over again how many first rounders are on Clemson's roster) or offensive line (ditto), and my victory lap has nothing to do with promoting an OSU player, or saying he should be the #1 overall pick in the draft but to point out the vulnerabilities in Lawrence. He is a great prospect, but if you look at how he performed PASSING the ball against OSU twice and LSU once, he struggles when he faces top defenses. Burrow didn't when he played last year's Clemson defense (better than this year's) and Fields didn't facing them this year.

My point is that he won't be able to run over NFL teams like he did against a lot of turds in the ACC, and when he faced a solid defense, he didn't rise but he folded.

Tip of the hat to Mr. Justin Fields. Got screwed by some bad calls last year.....didn't piss and moan, didn't go on social media, just kept that bad taste in his mouth and worked his ass off. Fantastic game. I haven't seen a prettier deep ball since Jeff Blake. Phenomenal athlete, tough as nails, and a winner. Well done, sir.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lawrence had a worse game, but has had a better career and is a better NFL prospect.

I think Fields helped himself stay in consideration for a top draft slot, but I don't think he will surpass Lawrence.

I'm thrilled, personally. Fields staying at the top of the board means there are 3 QBs who are considered franchise QBs in this draft. Combine that with team needs (like Miami having two good young OTs, but very few weapons for Tua to play with means they may take Chase instead of Sewell) and Sewell actually has a shot at falling to us at 5.
Reply/Quote
Lawrence is still number 1 and it will partially be because no one will get fired for taking Trevor Lawrence 1st overall even if it doesn’t work. That said, Fields having a good run potentially helps us trade our pick if we end up on the clock with him on the board. In reality the strength of this QB class really helps our 2nd round pick because the more QBs that go the better player for us is sitting there in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
Too bad Clemson's defense didn't show up. Staring down your primary receiver should serve Fields well the NFL.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 02:33 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Too bad Clemson's defense didn't show up. Staring down your primary receiver should serve Fields well the NFL.

I'm no OSU homer but I saw a QB that did anything but this last night. He read through his progression and made great use of his TEs and RBs when the situation occurred. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 02:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm no OSU homer but I saw a QB that did anything but this last night. He read through his progression and made great use of his TEs and RBs when the situation occurred. 

I agree. Fields played really, really well. If he does that against Bama, he could maybe push for the top overall slot. I still think Lawrence is the consensus #1, but Fields can challenge that with a repeat of last night.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 03:11 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. Fields played really, really well. If he does that against Bama, he could maybe push for the top overall slot. I still think Lawrence is the consensus #1, but Fields can challenge that with a repeat of last night.

Those deep balls were pretty.....something Burrow needs to work on. I hope he lifted his stock to keep us in the Sewell sweepstakes...not sure if Sewell will be there but considering all the chatter on how "generational he is" whos to say some team doesn't trade up above us to grab him (Sewell)? 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 02:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lawrence is still number 1 and it will partially be because no one will get fired for taking Trevor Lawrence 1st overall even if it doesn’t work. That said, Fields having a good run potentially helps us trade our pick if we end up on the clock with him on the board. In reality the strength of this QB class really helps our 2nd round pick because the more QBs that go the better player for us is sitting there in the 2nd.

Lawrence is the #1 but Fields should be in that discussion. Justin Fields is that all around spectacular athlete that also throws a very accurate football. Lawrence might run a 4.6 or 4.7 but Fields is likely low 4.5 or high 4.4. He brings that little extra...

The big question mark in the top 5 right now is will a team fall in love with Zach Wilson? Like the Falcons or possibly a trade up.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 02:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm no OSU homer but I saw a QB that did anything but this last night. He read through his progression and made great use of his TEs and RBs when the situation occurred. 

I am a Buckeyes fanatic but anybody who tries to downplay Fields game last night is just hating.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 01:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Lawrence had a worse game, but has had a better career and is a better NFL prospect.

I think Fields helped himself stay in consideration for a top draft slot, but I don't think he will surpass Lawrence.

I'm thrilled, personally. Fields staying at the top of the board means there are 3 QBs who are considered franchise QBs in this draft. Combine that with team needs (like Miami having two good young OTs, but very few weapons for Tua to play with means they may take Chase instead of Sewell) and Sewell actually has a shot at falling to us at 5.

What has Lawrence done against top 10 teams?  Fields?

I am not doubting that Lawrence is a great prospect, but when he isn't beating up on the ACC, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire.  As I stated BEFORE the game, Fields should be the 2nd QB taken and likely in the top 5, if not the top 3.

If I were Jacksonville, I would offer to swap picks with the Jets for their 2nd rounders in 2021 and 2022 and I would take Fields.  But that is just me.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 02:33 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Too bad Clemson's defense didn't show up. Staring down your primary receiver should serve Fields well the NFL.

That's your assessment of Field's performance?  If Fields is the one staring down receivers, why did he have such a day?  Clemson's D didn't show up?  Ok, right.  And it is just a coincidence that when Lawrence faced a tough defense (OSU 19, LSU 19, and OSU 20) he went 1-2, needed a ton of officiating help in the one win, and struggled THROWING the ball in all three?  

It's ok, it is clear where your allegiances lie.  Enjoy the next 10 years of losing in Clemson.  
Reply/Quote

Wow.  Ok, what did Lawrence do better?  Anything?  So, Fields has to walk on water but Lawrence can suck it up and never be called out for poor passing performances in 3 out of 3 games where he played a tough defense?  Sheesh.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 04:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wow.  Ok, what did Lawrence do better?  Anything?  So, Fields has to walk on water but Lawrence can suck it up and never be called out for poor passing performances in 3 out of 3 games where he played a tough defense?  Sheesh.  

He was talking about Fields....Defensive Much?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 03:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Lawrence is the #1 but Fields should be in that discussion. Justin Fields is that all around spectacular athlete that also throws a very accurate football. Lawrence might run a 4.6 or 4.7 but Fields is likely low 4.5 or high 4.4. He brings that little extra...

The big question mark in the top 5 right now is will a team fall in love with Zach Wilson? Like the Falcons or possibly a trade up.

Lawrence 40 time will be far better than people expect. Watching him run away from Browning last night was impressive. As for Fields, I don’t think you can simply forget about Northwestern and Indiana because of last night. The real debate was Wilson and Fields as some teams had been really buying Wilson in recent weeks and I think last night probably holds Wilson off from QB 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 04:30 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: What has Lawrence done against top 10 teams?  Fields?

I am not doubting that Lawrence is a great prospect, but when he isn't beating up on the ACC, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire.  As I stated BEFORE the game, Fields should be the 2nd QB taken and likely in the top 5, if not the top 3.

If I were Jacksonville, I would offer to swap picks with the Jets for their 2nd rounders in 2021 and 2022 and I would take Fields.  But that is just me.  

Success in college football is not a reliable projection to success in the NFL. There is definitely a correlation, but one does not predict the other.

Lawrence has all the physical and mental tools necessary to win in the NFL. Fields may as well, I'm not sure. That will be determined during the off season. But there are many who doubt his status as an elite NFL prospect.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 12:55 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, after all the talk about how he was falling down boards and Lawrence was the undisputed #1 overall pick in the draft, Fields goes out and destroys Clemson.

His stat line?

22/28 for 385 yards, 6 TDs, 1 INT (which was partially deflected, but an INT nonetheless) with 8 rushes for 42 yards

Trever Lawrence?

33/48 for 400 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT with 10 rushes for -8 yards

10% higher completion %.  a whopping 5.45 yards greater PER ATTEMPT, Similar yards, 4 more TDs, and 50 yards more rushing.  

I am going to suspect those that were crapping on Fields leading up to the game will say something to the effect of how OSU had the better defense (you would be right, although I think I heard over and over again how many first rounders are on Clemson's roster) or offensive line (ditto), and my victory lap has nothing to do with promoting an OSU player, or saying he should be the #1 overall pick in the draft but to point out the vulnerabilities in Lawrence.  He is a great prospect, but if you look at how he performed PASSING the ball against OSU twice and LSU once, he struggles when he faces top defenses.  Burrow didn't when he played last year's Clemson defense (better than this year's) and Fields didn't facing them this year.

My point is that he won't be able to run over NFL teams like he did against a lot of turds in the ACC, and when he faced a solid defense, he didn't rise but he folded.  

Tip of the hat to Mr. Justin Fields.  Got screwed by some bad calls last year.....didn't piss and moan, didn't go on social media, just kept that bad taste in his mouth and worked his ass off.  Fantastic game.  I haven't seen a prettier deep ball since Jeff Blake.  Phenomenal athlete, tough as nails, and a winner.  Well done, sir.

First Fields was awesome and had much better game than Trevor. I saw 2 different situations, OSU had players running wide open 40 yards downfield a lot, Clemson not so much. OSU gave Fields time to throw most of the night, Clemson did not.

I am thrilled Fields is back into consideration for a top 2 o3 draft pick, it helps the Bengals. Fields ay turn out to better than Lawrence, but frankly who cares if either one or both have great careers, they won't be playing for us.

OSU flat out whooped Clemson last night, the CB's for OSU covered guys, while Clemson CB's were beaten all night long. I can't wait to see OSU play Alabama, should be a great game. ND held Bama to 31 points, If OSU can do that, they can beat them. The deep ball he threw about 50 yards was perfection. The strange thing i I saw the same from Burrow in 2019, then with us he was beyond bad over 40 yard in the air throws. Let's hope that changes for Joe in 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 04:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: That's your assessment of Field's performance?  If Fields is the one staring down receivers, why did he have such a day?  Clemson's D didn't show up?  Ok, right.  And it is just a coincidence that when Lawrence faced a tough defense (OSU 19, LSU 19, and OSU 20) he went 1-2, needed a ton of officiating help in the one win, and struggled THROWING the ball in all three?  

It's ok, it is clear where your allegiances lie.  Enjoy the next 10 years of losing in Clemson.  

I'm not for Clemson either.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 07:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: First Fields was awesome and had much better game than Trevor. I saw 2 different situations, OSU had players running wide open 40 yards downfield a lot, Clemson not so much. OSU gave Fields time to throw most of the night, Clemson did not.

I am thrilled Fields is back into consideration for a top 2 o3 draft pick, it helps the Bengals. Fields ay turn out to better than Lawrence, but frankly who cares if either one or both have great careers, they won't be playing for us.

OSU flat out whooped Clemson last night, the CB's for OSU covered guys, while Clemson CB's were beaten all night long. I can't wait to see OSU play Alabama, should be a great game. ND held Bama to 31 points, If OSU can do that, they can beat them. The deep ball he threw about 50 yards was perfection. The strange thing i I saw the same from Burrow in 2019, then with us he was beyond bad over 40 yard in the air throws. Let's hope that changes for Joe in 2021.

If Burrow has a line in front of him that can give him time and protection in the pocket, he will drop dimes all over the place.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 08:09 PM)Interceptor Wrote: If Burrow has a line in front of him that can give him time and protection in the pocket, he will drop dimes all over the place.

That’s a big ask. It’s too bad the coaches had to hear Joe Burrow’s knee snap before they understood this.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2021, 04:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Wow.  Ok, what did Lawrence do better?  Anything?  So, Fields has to walk on water but Lawrence can suck it up and never be called out for poor passing performances in 3 out of 3 games where he played a tough defense?  Sheesh.  

Dude
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote