Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaleb McGary
Really came on this year for Atlanta. Run blocking was elite. Zone heavy run offense and a few have pointed out Pollack's preference of a wide zone attack. Pass blocking was good this year and he stuffed TJ Watt. Gotta like the thought of that twice a year. Falcons didn't pick up his 5th year option last year or tag him this year and the dude has put himself in a position to cash a check. 

Contract projections are prob around 12-13M AAV. I think that's doable with unloading Collins and Mixon (or drastically lowering Mixon's cap hit) as well as losing Bates contract. 

This is a guy the Bengals could get in FA, their one "big" splash, which would make the draft wide open. As much as i like Darnell Wright, this is the kind of move that could really open things up for the Bengals to add some young talent on rookie contracts in key spots. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Really came on this year for Atlanta. Run blocking was elite. Zone heavy run offense and a few have pointed out Pollack's preference of a wide zone attack. Pass blocking was good this year and he stuffed TJ Watt. Gotta like the thought of that twice a year. Falcons didn't pick up his 5th year option last year or tag him this year and the dude has put himself in a position to cash a check. 

Contract projections are prob around 12-13M AAV. I think that's doable with unloading Collins and Mixon (or drastically lowering Mixon's cap hit) as well as losing Bates contract. 

This is a guy the Bengals could get in FA, their one "big" splash, which would make the draft wide open. As much as i like Darnell Wright, this is the kind of move that could really open things up for the Bengals to add some young talent on rookie contracts in key spots. 

All for McGary. He played RT in Atlanta then?
Reply/Quote
With RT clearly being the biggest "hole" (and arguably the only major, screaming one), it would be nice to sign someone in FA (or go the trade route, though unlikely) so we can go into the draft with a pure BPA approach and not panic and reach. McGary has really intrigued me, and would be a perfect scheme fit. The film against Watt is so nice to watch.

However, the Falcons were one of the most run-heavy offenses last year. Something to keep in mind. Personally, I like McGlinchey and would like him. He'll be further removed from his injury, and ask him to add an extra 15 or so pounds so he can anchor better.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
Yeah he would be an ideal fit as mentioned in the thread. He strikes me as a FA that someone may give a little more to land on the first day as we did with Cappa. I'd be down for 12-13M though to build a great run blocking right side and not be a liability in pass blocking.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 04:01 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: With RT clearly being the biggest "hole" (and arguably the only major, screaming one), it would be nice to sign someone in FA (or go the trade route, though unlikely) so we can go into the draft with a pure BPA approach and not panic and reach. McGary has really intrigued me, and would be a perfect scheme fit. The film against Watt is so nice to watch.

However, the Falcons were one of the most run-heavy offenses last year. Something to keep in mind. Personally, I like McGlinchey and would like him. He'll be further removed from his injury, and ask him to add an extra 15 or so pounds so he can anchor better.

Would be crazy cool if we landed McGary, pretty sure McGlinchey would be too expensive if we want to keep most of our own and 
extend Burrow, Higgins and Logan Wilson. True on the Falcons being one of the most run-heavy Offenses in the league. Pretty sure
McGary was a good pass protector in college, so he can pass block.

(03-09-2023, 04:10 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah he would be an ideal fit as mentioned in the thread.  He strikes me as a FA that someone may give a little more to land on the first day as we did with Cappa.  I'd be down for 12-13M though to build a great run blocking right side and not be a liability in pass blocking.

Cappa and McGary on the right side would be fun for our RB's to run behind alright.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan at 12-13 million per year. Kaleb McGary has been very inconsistent. Yes he had a good year run blocking last season but he still gave up 6 sacks. La'el Collins gave up 5. In 2021 Kaleb McGary gave up 9 sacks and posted a 62.8 PFF. In 2020 Kaleb Gary did better only giving up 4 sacks but overall had a mediocre 64.3 PFF grade. In 2019 he gave up 13 sacks and had a 53.0 PFF grade.

Kaleb McGary has been very inconsistent but he is coming off his rookie contract so maybe he has become a better RT in the NFL. There are just too many questions for me to want him on the roster especially when his strength is more toward run oriented teams like Atlanta, Baltimore, Tennessee, etc..
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 01:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Really came on this year for Atlanta. Run blocking was elite. Zone heavy run offense and a few have pointed out Pollack's preference of a wide zone attack. Pass blocking was good this year and he stuffed TJ Watt. Gotta like the thought of that twice a year. Falcons didn't pick up his 5th year option last year or tag him this year and the dude has put himself in a position to cash a check. 

For 12m, you could get Eluemunor at RT, Fleming as a swing tackle, a backup guard and probably still have a couple million left. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 05:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For 12m, you could get Eluemunor at RT, Fleming as a swing tackle, a backup guard and probably still have a couple million left. 

I think that is a much better use of resources
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 05:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: For 12m, you could get Eluemunor at RT, Fleming as a swing tackle, a backup guard and probably still have a couple million left. 

(03-09-2023, 05:51 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think that is a much better use of resources

The budget route. 

I've seen that movie. Don't like it for Oline.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Don't know much about him but will assume he is good if your advocating for him. 

But do find it odd he is with his 5th team in 7 years and about to go to his 6th team. Something is awry it seems. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 06:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The budget route. 

I dont know the pure pass stats but Eluemunor allowed 3 sacks while taking 940 total snaps.  McGary gave up 6 sacks while taking 1151.  Is it worth spending 13 million a year on McGary vs 4 for Eluemunor?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 06:20 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The budget route. 

I'm with you on avoiding the budget route on OL, especially at RT.  The last 3 have been Bobby Hart, Reilly Reiff, and La'el Collins.  The latter two, who actually cost fair coin, never even made it through the season.  At this point, I'd take Bobby Hart back in a heartbeat.  Dude was tough as nails, never was injured, a bull in the running game but just needed a little help with speed rushers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 07:11 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I dont know the pure pass stats but Eluemunor allowed 3 sacks while taking 940 total snaps.  McGary gave up 6 sacks while taking 1151.  Is it worth spending 13 million a year on McGary vs 4 for Eluemunor?

I don't not like Eluemunor. He had a nice year. What i don't like is the budget buy. If he moves on, this will be his 4th team in 7 years. If similar production could be guaranteed, Eluemunor would be better for the price, sure. I honestly haven't watched a snap of his play i'm just kind of set on getting the best guy possible and he's not really near the top of the food chain there. McGary in nearer the top but not the top. Two of his sacks came in the last 2 games of the year when Ridder was starting and from what i recall, watching some of their games late, he was holding the ball a lot.

Budget shouldn't be a priority when we're talking about protecting the franchise QB. Budget other areas. 

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 08:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm with you on avoiding the budget route on OL, especially at RT.  The last 3 have been Bobby Hart, Reilly Reiff, and La'el Collins.  The latter two, who actually cost fair coin, never even made it through the season.  At this point, I'd take Bobby Hart back in a heartbeat.  Dude was tough as nails, never was injured, a bull in the running game but just needed a little help with speed rushers.

I was liking where this post was going and then i saw the name "Bobby Hart" and a shiver went up my spine. lol

Reply/Quote
I’d rather have a RT good enough for us to give up on La’el Collins than use that money to sign 2-3 guys that won’t be factors anyway.

If we go into 2023 season seriously hoping Collins comes back then we failed.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 01:14 PM)Housh Wrote: I’d rather have a RT good enough for us to give up on La’el Collins than use that money to sign 2-3 guys that won’t be factors anyway.

If we go into 2023 season seriously hoping Collins comes back then we failed.

I agree, I dont see Collins being ready at all.  He just had his surgery in January.  That leaves Adeniji. 

The Bengals have to sign a RT but I dont see spending 12-16 million dollars for a free agent RT that isnt any better than a 4 or 5 million dollar RT in pass protection.  Im just not a big fan of McGary or Mike Mcglinchey for that matter.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 08:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm with you on avoiding the budget route on OL, especially at RT.  The last 3 have been Bobby Hart, Reilly Reiff, and La'el Collins.  The latter two, who actually cost fair coin, never even made it through the season.  At this point, I'd take Bobby Hart back in a heartbeat.  Dude was tough as nails, never was injured, a bull in the running game but just needed a little help with speed rushers.

I'm with you on this.   Whoever we get has to be able to start  -   reliably start.  We need to get the offensive line settled now.  We're already having to let top notch players walk at other positions (Bates/ Pratt/  etc).  We need to solidify the line in front of Burrow so we can afford to build the rest of a team around him.

Collins was exciting, but had a significant injury history.  He still does.  That does not bode well for a write in starter that won't be able to start till near the middle of the season.

So in effect, we need two right tackles - one a SOLID starter and the other a SOLID backup, and a SOLID backup guard who can play against playoff defenses if Cappa or Volson (if he in fact will develop into a SOLID starter).    Just too many variables to allow in the position group that protects your literal franchise.

I want all sorts of possible players in this draft, but if we don't get those two positions filled solidly the draft will be the crap shoot it is, possibly yielding nothing you hoped to gain to move this team towards winning a Super Bowl. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 04:10 PM)phil413 Wrote: Yeah he would be an ideal fit as mentioned in the thread.  He strikes me as a FA that someone may give a little more to land on the first day as we did with Cappa.  I'd be down for 12-13M though to build a great run blocking right side and not be a liability in pass blocking.

Yeah.  I heard Rapien and Liscow call him the Cappa of RTs.  He's not a superstar, but he's good enough and would be a massive improvement from what we have right now.  

I like him better than reclamation projects like Smith and Lewan.

As always, it's all about money. He's a god player at an in-demand position. He might not be as affordable as people expect.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2023, 08:01 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I agree, I dont see Collins being ready at all.  He just had his surgery in January.  That leaves Adeniji. 

The Bengals have to sign a RT but I dont see spending 12-16 million dollars for a free agent RT that isnt any better than a 4 or 5 million dollar RT in pass protection.  Im just not a big fan of McGary or Mike Mcglinchey for that matter.

I'm more okay with McGary than McGlinchey.  McGlichey is slightly better than Jonah, IMO.  He's going to get overpaid in a big way, and the return on investment will not be great.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 01:59 PM)samhain Wrote: I'm more okay with McGary than McGlinchey.  McGlichey is slightly better than Jonah, IMO.  He's going to get overpaid in a big way, and the return on investment will not be great.

The thing I dont like about McGary and McGlinchey is neither one of them are that good in pass protection.  They are very good in run blocking which boosts their PFF grades but in pass protection they are mediocre.  I think that style of play works better with a team like Baltimore or Tennessee that are more run oriented.

I would much rather bring in someone who is the complete opposite, good in pass protection and mediocre in run blocking.  I think that would help us more.   I wouldnt want to see the Bengas spend 12-16 million per year on someone who isnt good in pass protection which is why Im not a fan of McGary and McGlinchey getting big contracts from the Bengals.  The #1 priority when looking at RTs should be how well they do in pass protection
Reply/Quote