Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kasich: If I were king, I'd abolish teachers' lounges
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/john-kasich-abolish-all-teachers-lounges-121545.html?cmpid=sf

Apparently us teachers just hang out in teachers' lounges and complain about everything...
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
My favorite part (aside from the "king of America part"): “But if you’re a terrible teacher, then you should be doing something else. You’re going to find more satisfaction doing something that you’re good at,” Kasich said.

Way to be disconnected. This is modern America, where the majority of people don't do something they're good at or something that satisfies them — they do something that pays as many bills as possible. Top to bottom. Did Fiorina or GM's Smith get satisfaction from running companies into the ground? No, they got paid. Does Joe the plumber get job satisfaction from snaking a septic line? No he gets paid.
I remember growing up, all the talk was teachers should be the people making million dollar salaries for all the hard work and time spent teaching America's children. Seems like overnight they've been vilified and accused of stealing the tax payer's money. What changed? I still believe teachers are grossly underpaid and do a very thankless job.

If he thinks teachers are underpaid and there are some terrible teachers, maybe raising salaries would attract higher quality applicants?
(08-20-2015, 01:20 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I remember growing up, all the talk was teachers should be the people making million dollar salaries for all the hard work and time spent teaching America's children. Seems like overnight they've been vilified and accused of stealing the tax payer's money. What changed? I still believe teachers are grossly underpaid and do a very thankless job.

That is because you have a brain in your noggin. Sadly, that makes you a minority in the U S of A. Countries that pay teachers more have better outcomes. Astonishing! We pay teachers less than sanitation workers and the end outcomes and the SD and the HS smell about the same. Not to say there aren't good teachers - there are including some perhaps reading this but they deserve more dough and they would have more peers like them if the field paid better.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-20-2015, 01:20 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: I remember growing up, all the talk was teachers should be the people making million dollar salaries for all the hard work and time spent teaching America's children. Seems like overnight they've been vilified and accused of stealing the tax payer's money. What changed? I still believe teachers are grossly underpaid and do a very thankless job.

Politicians, mostly political candidates, had to blame somebody and it's easy to get large groups of less educated people pointing fingers against a large group of public employees. Government is already so outsourced and consolidated that there aren't too many areas to get people all frothy about.
I kind of feel bad for teachers.

It seems like a lot of them are given a bad rep and a lot of it is due to poor parenting and taking the ability to discipline children in school away, IMO. I'm not just talking in terms of spanking, but in general. A lot of kids don't have the same respect for authority that they used to.

To me it's just another tragic example of the moral decay of America leading to yet another tragic result and too many people believing that the answer is to throw more money at the problem.

It's like putting a band-aid on a gunshot.
(08-19-2015, 11:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/john-kasich-abolish-all-teachers-lounges-121545.html?cmpid=sf

Apparently us teachers just hang out in teachers' lounges and complain about everything...

Yeah exactly what schools need more government micro managment.

If he thinks teachers are underpaid and there are some terrible teachers, maybe raising salaries would attract higher quality applicants?

I was talking with my wife about this yesterday. It is pretty ridiculous.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-20-2015, 12:09 AM)Benton Wrote: My favorite part (aside from the "king of America part"): “But if you’re a terrible teacher, then you should be doing something else. You’re going to find more satisfaction doing something that you’re good at,” Kasich said.

Way to be disconnected. This is modern America, where the majority of people don't do something they're good at or something that satisfies them — they do something that pays as many bills as possible. Top to bottom. Did Fiorina or GM's Smith get satisfaction from running companies into the ground? No, they got paid. Does Joe the plumber get job satisfaction from snaking a septic line? No he gets paid.

Kind of like if you are a terrible politician you should run for "king of America"?

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.