Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kat Terrell article on John Ross says no teams willing to trade up to 9
Here is Kat Terrell's article on why John Ross has been a healthy scratch.
http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28987/from-no-9-overall-pick-to-healthy-scratch-why-bengals-john-ross-cant-see-the-field

While I feel the John Ross topic itself has been posted a lot, this line stuck out to me....
Quote:It would be easy now to call Ross a reach at No. 9 overall, but Lewis said no other teams were interested in trading up in the draft at the time.

This is good to know because many people were saying the Bengals should have just traded back to get more picks and take Ross or whoever else later in the first round. As it turns out, no one else wanted to trade up to 9 so the Bengals were forced to take the player they wanted at that spot even if it may have seemed like a "reach".
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't believe Marvin. Picks 10 and 12 got traded. Hard for me to believe no one called for pic 9 with the QB's still on the board.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
There's yet another ringing endorsement for our rookie 1st round selection Mellow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
This was the telling excerpt. He's out of shape and he doesn't understand how to read coverages.

"When I was coming back, I was in for two plays, and then I’d be exhausted for two drives. It’s tough when you’re not in shape,” Ross said. "In this league, everybody is fast. It doesn’t matter how fast I can run. People can line me up all day and tell me to run a 4.22 but after the first one I probably won’t get back to that 4.22. It just depends on how well I condition myself. That was hard for me to see because I thought in my head, ‘I’m finally healthy; I need to be out there.’ But after I sat down and evaluated and looked at the film, I didn’t look the same I looked last spring, and that’s what they mean."

The coaches believe it’s more than just running routes -- it’s knowing how to read coverages and adjust those routes and do everything consistently every day.
“John has had three weeks of practice now. Let’s let him practice and let’s get him comfortable playing football again before we put him back in there,” Lewis said. “When he knows what to do and how to do it all the time, and when he can play productively, then he’ll play fast, he’ll play with confidence. But he wouldn’t be very confident [right now]. Each day, he gets more confident with playing football. He hasn’t been playing football. That’s the thing. You have to [practice] 11-on-11 enough to be comfortable with it.”
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Here is Kat Terrell's article on why John Ross has been a healthy scratch.
http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/28987/from-no-9-overall-pick-to-healthy-scratch-why-bengals-john-ross-cant-see-the-field

While I feel the John Ross topic itself has been posted a lot, this line stuck out to me....

This is good to know because many people were saying the Bengals should have just traded back to get more picks and take Ross or whoever else later in the first round. As it turns out, no one else wanted to trade up to 9 so the Bengals were forced to take the player they wanted at that spot even if it may have seemed like a "reach".

(11-09-2017, 11:12 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't believe Marvin. Picks 10 and 12 got traded. Hard for me to believe no one called for pic 9 with the QB's still on the board.....

I think she left out the seldom state, but always there "No one was willing to trade up.... for a kings ransom". Mike might still be trying to find that Ricky Williams deal he turned down.
Reply/Quote
A couple questions. What did they ask for the trade? And was Ross the only player eligible to be drafted at the time?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
If Marvin actually said that no one wanted to trade up and they reached for Ross this is one of the worst things he has ever said publically and should be relieved of his duties. You just killed the kid's confidence
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Marvin actually said that no one wanted to trade up and they reached for Ross this is one of the worst things he has ever said publically and should be relieved of his duties. You just killed the kid's confidence

Well, ideally they would have traded down to the mid-1st to draft Ross.

9 was high...but if he's truly the guy that you think is the best available...you take him at 9.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 10:58 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Here is Kat Terrell's article on why John Ross has been a healthy scratch.

Sure.

Did you hear Marvin say Fisher's illness wasn't as serious as he thought and two days later Fisher was on IR?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think she left out the seldom state, but always there "No one was willing to trade up.... for a kings ransom". Mike might still be trying to find that Ricky Williams deal he turned down.

This.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I think she left out the seldom state, but always there "No one was willing to trade up.... for a kings ransom". Mike might still be trying to find that Ricky Williams deal he turned down.

Perhaps there was a misinterpretation, but "interested" and "willing" are two different things.
When I think of "interest", I think of just calling to see if someone does want to move up or not. Not whether the terms to move up were considered too high to make a deal.
I would think if someone really just didn't want to pay the asking price to move up, it would have been stated there was interest but a deal couldn't materialize that was agreed by both sides. Saying there was no interest implies no one called and/or the Bengals were unwilling to call other teams to see.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:12 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't believe Marvin. Picks 10 and 12 got traded. Hard for me to believe no one called for pic 9 with the QB's still on the board.....

(11-09-2017, 01:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Marvin actually said that no one wanted to trade up and they reached for Ross this is one of the worst things he has ever said publically and should be relieved of his duties. You just killed the kid's confidence

Agreed with both. 

Other nearby picks got traded. Those trading in went QB, QB, DE. Either the Bengals 1- weren't trying to trade back; or 2- wanted too much. Either way, Marvin isn't being completely honest, either with himself or with everyone else.

And what a crappy move to basically tell Ross "Yeah, we weren't super interested, but nobody else wanted to help us get who we wanted... sooo... here's a clip board."
Reply/Quote
Marv is a master motivator.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:27 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: There's yet another ringing endorsement for our rookie 1st round selection Mellow

Kinda how I took it. Wow. Way to boost the kid.

Just reading Ross' comments, he sounds like he could use a self-esteem boost. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 02:04 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed with both. 

Other nearby picks got traded. Those trading in went QB, QB, DE. Either the Bengals 1- weren't trying to trade back; or 2- wanted too much. Either way, Marvin isn't being completely honest, either with himself or with everyone else.

And what a crappy move to basically tell Ross "Yeah, we weren't super interested, but nobody else wanted to help us get who we wanted... sooo... here's a clip board."

I'd bet more on the bolded. The Bengals never seem to be aggressive on anything. They probably just sat back hoping someone would call and if no one did, they just figured "oh well" and made their selection.

Also, I don't know if I believe that the Bengals were not super interested and wanted someone else. I think if anything they viewed Ross as not a top 10 pick but still really liked him, and they were hoping someone would call to trade up and they could still get Ross later in the round while also getting another pick. But for one reason or another, they had to pick someone at 9 and decided on Ross. If they really wanted someone else, they would have taken that person instead.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 02:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Kinda how I took it. Wow. Way to boost the kid.

Just reading Ross' comments, he sounds like he could use a self-esteem boost. 

True.

You can add the entire offensive line to that  Hilarious
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 01:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Perhaps there was a misinterpretation, but "interested" and "willing" are two different things.
When I think of "interest", I think of just calling to see if someone does want to move up or not. Not whether the terms to move up were considered too high to make a deal.
I would think if someone really just didn't want to pay the asking price to move up, it would have been stated there was interest but a deal couldn't materialize that was agreed by both sides. Saying there was no interest implies no one called and/or the Bengals were unwilling to call other teams to see.

Marvin also said the Oline isn't a concern. I don't know why anyone listens to anything he says.
Reply/Quote
It seems merv didn't want Ross at all. Like I said on my own thread,I don't trust his dicisions on guys,he can find some talent in the draft, but during the season he's a bafoon.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 02:40 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: True.

You can add the entire offensive line to that  Hilarious

You think maybe the Steelers slipped our o-line some estrogen, ala Longest Yard?

(11-09-2017, 02:58 PM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: It seems merv didn't want Ross at all. Like I said on my own thread,I don't trust his dicisions on guys,he can find some talent in the draft, but during the season he's a bafoon.

You get that feeling too? These coaches and scouts are human and have differing opinions. It's possible some were banging the table for Ross and Merv wanted someone else.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You think maybe the Steelers slipped our o-line some estrogen, ala Longest Yard?

You get that feeling too? These coaches and scouts are human and have differing opinions. It's possible some were banging the table for Ross and Merv wanted someone else.

Even if that is true, that's pretty shitty on Marvin's part to intentionally keep him out because he wanted someone else. That's the player you were given and its your responsibility to find a way to use him effectively.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote