Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Katie Blackburn-State of the Team
(04-03-2023, 11:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm looking at the end game "ifs". If during the RBs rookie contract, you get a ring(s), then it's worth it. If at the end of the contract you haven't won a ring, it's been a waste and a missed opportunity to follow a model that actually has had results. 

It's a stupid roll of the dice and "hope", which i'm not really excited at all about. 

We needed shiny new toys a couple years ago at the expense of blocking but now that we have the toys...we don't need MOAR toys. We need really good guys to block up front so those toys can do their thing. 

I mentioned before, the HC/QB combos and how if they haven't won a championship within their first 5 years together, they don't win one. Not a single one. The Bengals are going into year 4 of the Zac/Joe combo, this year. 

We've replaced our whole line the last 2 years. Not one starter in the SB will be the starter next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 04:12 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I understand what you're saying and I would usually agree, but I just think Bijan is a different cat and is the one back that could change that approach. I think Bijan would make this offense scary as hell because of what he brings as a runner, receiver and pass blocker. Just my opinion though.

He’s a different cat all right …. when he couldn’t get any blocking vs TCU & Texas he was dead in the water with about 30 yards rushing vs each. Sound familiar? He’s a good back and will have a very successful NFL career. But still,,
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 11:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Your last paragraph is intriguing. And probably a lot to it for discussion.

I have a big ole post around here somewhere mapping all that out, from the beginning of the SB era.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:09 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We've replaced our whole line the last 2 years. Not one starter in the SB will be the starter next year.

We've replaced it with guys who were 'good'; Karras, Cappa, Collins, Reiff, Volson, Spain. Karras and Cappa have solidified their positions. Volson has been adequate. Spain played well in the RS and then got dinged and didn't play as well in the PS. Reiff and Collins got hurt and the backups were not up to snuff.

They needed better starters at both Ts and Brown was a good upgrade, i believe. RT is the question mark and depth needs to be upgraded in a major way because injuries happen. Adeniji has been a disaster in the most important games for 2 years now. 

Getting guys that you think 'should be good enough', isn't really enough, as we've seen the last 2 years. Starters and reserves--it needs to be both, not just one. They need to use their best resources on solidifying the starters this year and having better quality backups. Toys should not be the priority. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 04:12 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: I understand what you're saying and I would usually agree, but I just think Bijan is a different cat and is the one back that could change that approach. I think Bijan would make this offense scary as hell because of what he brings as a runner, receiver and pass blocker. Just my opinion though.

He’s a different cat all right …. when he couldn’t get any blocking vs TCU & Texas he was dead in the water with about 30 yards rushing vs each. Sound familiar? He’s a good back and will have a very successful NFL career. But still,,
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 03:10 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: The contract for pick 28 is about 12m over 4 years. If they drafted Robinson, his total rookie contract would be a little less than what Mixon will make this year. IMO, that's one helluva value trade-off, especially if he's the talent that everyone thinks he is. 

I think there are a few backs in this draft that would be really nice fits, but if a back like Robinson were to fall in your lap at 28, I don't know how you pass on him and what he could bring to this offense. 

I don't think he'll make it to 28, but if he does, the Bengals better have that card turned in within 5 seconds! LOL

Yes, if Bijan is there you take him, he would be affordable and is ten times the RB that Mixon is and is a good pass protector.

This allows us to designate Mixon a June 1st cut, Bijan is about as proven as a 1st round pick could be and that is what you want in the 
first round. But if he isn't there like we all expect, I could see us trading back into the 2nd round if Wright also isn't there while adding 
more picks. We need as many picks as possible with the big extensions coming up.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:33 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: We've replaced it with guys who were 'good'; Karras, Cappa, Collins, Reiff, Volson, Spain. Karras and Cappa have solidified their positions. Volson has been adequate. Spain played well in the RS and then got dinged and didn't play as well in the PS. Reiff and Collins got hurt and the backups were not up to snuff.

They needed better starters at both Ts and Brown was a good upgrade, i believe. RT is the question mark and depth needs to be upgraded in a major way because injuries happen. Adeniji has been a disaster in the most important games for 2 years now. 

Getting guys that you think 'should be good enough', isn't really enough, as we've seen the last 2 years. Starters and reserves--it needs to be both, not just one. They need to use their best resources on solidifying the starters this year and having better quality backups. Toys should not be the priority. 

Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins is a hell of an OL. If you're worried about depth that's not really a first round priority. Grab the BPA and if Robinson is there I would say that's him pretty easily.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 01:50 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins is a hell of an OL. If you're worried about depth that's not really a first round priority. Grab the BPA and if Robinson is there I would say that's him pretty easily.

That would be a potentially above average line.

The main point is...draft line early, not shiny new toys. 

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 11:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. RB, DE, DT, CB, RT would all be positions I looked at.

IF Addison fell, that would tempt me. We'd have to trade Tee in that scenario.

I'm not interested in a TE in the 1st.

Agreed on no TE in the first.  I don't believe there is any way that the Bengals will trade Tee for an unproven, though.  
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:28 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed on no TE in the first.  I don't believe there is any way that the Bengals will trade Tee for an unproven, though.  

We have looked at all the top TE's in this Draft though, so I could see us taking either Darnell Washington or Michael Mayer if we think they
are BPA and if Darnell Wright is gone which seems likely. Would rather trade back and get one of these guys or Charbonnet even if we want
a RB that can do it all. I agree with Pistons list and would rather build the OL or grab a game changer like Bijan Robinson or Addison or a 
DL that can rush the passer but going off the fact we have looked at TE and RB more than any other position we might go there.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:02 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That would be a potentially above average line.

The main point is...draft line early, not shiny new toys. 

Your pick at 28 is?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 01:50 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Brown, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Collins is a hell of an OL. If you're worried about depth that's not really a first round priority. Grab the BPA and if Robinson is there I would say that's him pretty easily.

Collins hardly practiced BEFORE his knee injuries. I’m not confident he’s ever going to start again. I hope I’m wrong. I think the first pick will be BPA with it likely a RT or TE. But if it’s a great DT, Edge, CB, or even S they could go there. I think they look at RB at 2 if there is someone they like. It’s not high on their list.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 03:10 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: The contract for pick 28 is about 12m over 4 years. If they drafted Robinson, his total rookie contract would be a little less than what Mixon will make this year. IMO, that's one helluva value trade-off, especially if he's the talent that everyone thinks he is. 

I think there are a few backs in this draft that would be really nice fits, but if a back like Robinson were to fall in your lap at 28, I don't know how you pass on him and what he could bring to this offense. 

I don't think he'll make it to 28, but if he does, the Bengals better have that card turned in within 5 seconds! LOL

Dallas AND Buffalo pick before the bengals and would sprint to the board to pick him. he's not gonna be there.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 07:43 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Dallas AND Buffalo pick before the bengals and would sprint to the board to pick him. he's not gonna be there.

Probably. Though who else is in the board could be a factor. As is the possibility of a QB needy team wanting to trade UP into the first to get Hooker for 5 years instead of 4. 
Reply/Quote
FWIW, I looked at the Bengals roster on the team page. It looks to be accurate as to the players listed (some guys are listed at other positions: Carman as a G, Nick Scott as a DB), with 3 exceptions.

1) Basham not listed yet.
2) Brandon Wilson not listed.
3) Eli Apple IS listed but shouldn't be.

The first one is likely just because he hasn't actually signed on the dotted line yet. Fel free to read tea leaves on the other two.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 06:51 PM)Gary Milne Wrote: Your pick at 28 is?

I'd like to get Darnell Wright. 

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd like to get Darnell Wright. 

He’s mine as well.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:00 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'd like to get Darnell Wright. 

Probably won't be there, what is your pick then?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably won't be there, what is your pick then?

Based on the numbers we have at tackle now...i'm probably not as against TE. Maybe Musgrave or Mayer. Wouldn't be sad if they took Kancey or a safety that falls.

A trade back for Gibbs and another pick would be cool. 

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 01:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Based on the numbers we have at tackle now...i'm probably not as against TE. Maybe Musgrave or Mayer. Wouldn't be sad if they took Kancey or a safety that falls.

A trade back for Gibbs and another pick would be cool. 

I like Darnell Washington the most if they go with a TE. Dude has crazy upside, great blocker, great hands, is huge and athletic as hell.

Also wouldn't mind Mayer of course, he is solid all across the board and would be a major upgrade to what we have pretty sure.

Musgrave? Eh, hardly any production in college, hard no on that in the first round. I like Kancey but he has short arms which a lot of 
the time doesn't translate well to the NFL level. I love Gibbs as a playmaker, but would rather trade back and add Charbonnet who can
block and do everything else well.
Reply/Quote