Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Katie Blackburn-State of the Team
(03-30-2023, 08:02 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Yeah you could hear a lot in those pauses.  After listening to that I would be surprised if Mixon was still a Bengal at the start of the season.

I hear an active child near by, so Blackburn could easily been more focused on the kid than on one more question from a nameless person holding a microphone.  I take nothing good, bad or indifferent from that comment.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 02:52 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I hear an active child near by, so Blackburn could easily been more focused on the kid than on one more question from a nameless person holding a microphone.  I take nothing good, bad or indifferent from that comment.

I noticed a lot going on in the background too....could be as simple as her being distracted while trying to carry on a conversation.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 01:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Based on the numbers we have at tackle now...i'm probably not as against TE. Maybe Musgrave or Mayer. Wouldn't be sad if they took Kancey or a safety that falls.

A trade back for Gibbs and another pick would be cool. 

Didn't you imply earlier that it would be stupid to use the first pick on a toy?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 06:53 PM)Gary Milne Wrote: Didn't you imply earlier that it would be stupid to use the first pick on a toy?

If Wright is there, it's a no brainer. I'd take him. I'm not really sold on anyone else at RT, to start, at 28. That's my priority. If Wright isn't there, i wouldn't be upsest with a TE or Gibbs and then if there's a decent tackle left that could improve depth and possibly start in the future, fine. 

EDIT: Gibbs would be a trade back scenario.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 08:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Wright is there, it's a no brainer. I'd take him. I'm not really sold on anyone else at RT, to start, at 28. That's my priority. If Wright isn't there, i wouldn't be upsest with a TE or Gibbs and then if there's a decent tackle left that could improve depth and possibly start in the future, fine. 

I was just trying to get clarity. I saw some were giving you grief for not wanting Robinson if he was there by some insane miracle, but I think they're misunderstanding what you're saying? Basically, you want Wright but if he's gone you would have no problem with Robinson?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:07 PM)Gary Milne Wrote: I was just trying to get clarity. I saw some were giving you grief for not wanting Robinson if he was there by some insane miracle, but I think they're misunderstanding what you're saying? Basically, you want Wright but if he's gone you would have no problem with Robinson?

Correct.

Pre free agency i was much stronger on Oline over anything else, pretty much "period!". Since FA i've lightened up on it. I'd still prefer Wright over anyone else at 28 but with the options now, i wouldn't be upset at Robinson there. Or going somewhere else @28 (bpa) and even moving up to get Gibbs in rd2. 

Pretty much other than Wright in the first i'm not too concerned with how they decide to go. I'd be open to a trade up in rd 1 to get Wright or stand pat, take BPA and move up in 2 to get Gibbs. 

Don't even get me started on possibly getting Wright and Gibbs somehow. Boy would my arms get tired...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 08:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Wright is there, it's a no brainer. I'd take him. I'm not really sold on anyone else at RT, to start, at 28. That's my priority. If Wright isn't there, i wouldn't be upsest with a TE or Gibbs and then if there's a decent tackle left that could improve depth and possibly start in the future, fine. 

Gibbs at 28 won’t happen. Huge overreach. He’s not a tough inside runner.
NFL.com
Flashes of indecisiveness processing inside runs.
Looks for cuts when the track lacks traffic.
Below average feel for blocking development.
Missing contact power to get tough yards.
Might lack the frame for consistent blitz pickup.

ProFootballNetwork
Gibbs’ frame is noticeably lean, and he naturally isn’t going to withstand direct contact consistently. The Alabama RB isn’t an overwhelming physical specimen and visibly lacks a bruiser element. Moreover, while he has exceptional short-area explosiveness and speed, he doesn’t always play to his timed 4.36 40-yard dash and isn’t always a breakaway threat.

Operationally, Gibbs occasionally misses open cutback lanes, deferring to congested areas in the middle of the field. He sometimes goes on autopilot in short ranges and gets tunnel vision when things tighten up.

Additionally, Gibbs will sometimes play himself into congestion with wasted motion. His wasted motion shows up even when there are lanes to follow at times. The Alabama RB tries too hard to create space instead of using the space he has. He improved in 2022, but he can still be more concise and efficient.

In the passing phase, Gibbs sometimes loses track of the ball when streaking downfield. He can also more consistently attack the ball at the catch point, as he sometimes lets it come to him and invites contact. Gibbs also occasionally bobbles passes, which can delay transitions upfield on swings and screens. Furthermore, he experiences some lapses in ball security after the catch.

Gibbs’ need for added strength also shows up when pass blocking. The Alabama RB can be outmuscled and put on skates with his lighter frame, and he struggles to sustain blocks consistently.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Gibbs at 28 won’t happen. Huge overreach. He’s not a tough inside runner.
NFL.com

ProFootballNetwork
Gibbs’ frame is noticeably lean, and he naturally isn’t going to withstand direct contact consistently. The Alabama RB isn’t an overwhelming physical specimen and visibly lacks a bruiser element. Moreover, while he has exceptional short-area explosiveness and speed, he doesn’t always play to his timed 4.36 40-yard dash and isn’t always a breakaway threat.

Operationally, Gibbs occasionally misses open cutback lanes, deferring to congested areas in the middle of the field. He sometimes goes on autopilot in short ranges and gets tunnel vision when things tighten up.

Additionally, Gibbs will sometimes play himself into congestion with wasted motion. His wasted motion shows up even when there are lanes to follow at times. The Alabama RB tries too hard to create space instead of using the space he has. He improved in 2022, but he can still be more concise and efficient.

In the passing phase, Gibbs sometimes loses track of the ball when streaking downfield. He can also more consistently attack the ball at the catch point, as he sometimes lets it come to him and invites contact. Gibbs also occasionally bobbles passes, which can delay transitions upfield on swings and screens. Furthermore, he experiences some lapses in ball security after the catch.

Gibbs’ need for added strength also shows up when pass blocking. The Alabama RB can be outmuscled and put on skates with his lighter frame, and he struggles to sustain blocks consistently.

Now list the all of his strengths and positive attributes.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:30 PM)Gary Milne Wrote: Now list the all of his strengths and positive attributes.

I did read them. But it was his weaknesses that convinced me he’s not a fit and certainly not at 28. Which was my point.

ProFootballNetwork
• Speed creates ability to widen field for play-callers.
• Runs with instant acceleration and gliding strides.
• Light, quick feet for sudden, lateral cuts.
• Opens the corner by altering tempo and stride to stall pursuit.
• Wiggle results in low success rate for open-field tacklers.
• Mismatch weapon in the passing game.
• Route running makes him a tough cover in man.
• Hands are natural, soft and sure.
• Above average potential as a kick returner.

NFL.com

The hallmark of Gibbs’ running style is his athleticism. The Alabama RB has excellent explosiveness coming upfield. Not only does he have great short-area burst, but he can also accelerate very quickly when opening up his strides. Gibbs can generate abrupt forward bursts of momentum when his path is clear, and he has the acceleration capacity to quickly accumulate yards through tight windows.
On top of his explosiveness, Gibbs possesses phenomenal, effortless short-area athleticism, which he can use to tug defenders off-balance. Gibbs is a high-energy mover with elite twitch who quickly recollects his feet after cuts. His twitch affords him awe-inspiring potential energy on each play.
Furthermore, Gibbs brings loose hips, which allow him to divert course while maintaining acceleration. Gibbs can use his high-level twitch and agility to flow through congested areas and sneak into the open field.
Just as impressive as Gibbs’ short-area athleticism is how he employs and maximizes it with his vision and creative instincts. Gibbs keeps active feet in congested areas and can slip through contact, staying upright. With his hyperactive feet, the Alabama RB can step through successive arm tackles, maintaining balance and speed. He’ll make defenders pay for subpar tackle attempts.

Going further, Gibbs flashes great reading ability. He can quickly identify holes when tracking to the sideline and burst upfield with decisiveness. The Alabama RB can also process angles quickly in space. He can sense lanes closing swiftly and promptly divert to outlets.
Gibbs processes well in tight spaces and can easily identify secondary lanes. He has excellent full-field vision, as well as superb spatial awareness. That awareness is constantly active, allowing him to feel defenders and react in real time.
MORE: 2023 NFL Draft Big Board

Gibbs is an extremely instinctive runner. More than that, he displays situational awareness and discipline. He rarely dances around behind the line of scrimmage in short-yardage situations. And on outside-zone runs, he has the instincts to flatten his angle to pass incoming A- and B-gap defenders, then surge upfield when he’s clear.
He consistently leads runs with a split-step to prepare for potential moves, has excellent timing with his lateral cuts, and is patient in deconstructing angles.
Gibbs naturally throttles up and down to maximize the space he has, as well as create new windows to exploit. The Alabama RB actively presses close behind blocks, forcing defenders to slow up. By doing so, he takes control of the space allotted and can manipulate angles thereafter.

At 5’9″, 199 pounds, Gibbs isn’t an overly imposing back, but he does at least bring measurable physicality to the fold. The Alabama RB has shown he can utilize stiff arms to push down imbalanced defenders and extend plays. He consistently fights to stay on his feet with active footwork and is willing to lower his shoulder and finish forward on runs. On occasion, Gibbs has also shown he can bounce off contact and absorb blows with his hips and torso.
Much of Gibb’s appeal rests in his multi-phase ability. The Alabama RB has high-level ability as a pass-catching RB. As young as he is, he already shows impressive nuance, as he can manipulate defender leverage when running routes. He can press outside and then cut back in, and his short-area agility is an asset at stems.
Gibbs can run routes and split out wide, but he can also use body control to adjust for high passes, catch with his hands extending beyond his frame, and then reset his feet for run-after-catch yards. Gibbs quickly shifts from receiving mode to RAC mode. He’s also shown he can corral passes in stride and haul in passes amidst contact.

Learn more

As an athlete, Gibbs has more than enough speed to get to the edge on outside runs and turn the corner upfield. He also has the speed to accelerate along unideal angles and get a step on defenders. In pass protection, he has urgent active feet and brings solid effort. He can square up defenders and surge into contact, and he can also identify points of weakness in the protection and respond quickly.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I did read them. But it was his weaknesses that convinced me he’s not a fit and certainly not at 28. Which was my point.

I said list them, not read them.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Gibbs at 28 won’t happen. Huge overreach. He’s not a tough inside runner.
NFL.com

ProFootballNetwork

Yeah, i went back and edited that post. Gibbs would be a trade back scenario.

I read all those pros and cons but i take my own opinion over them after watching the player. I really wanted Dalvin Cook in '17 over Mixon. I could just as easily be wrong about Gibbs. After all, i did really want Chris Polk (holey shit...was that really 11 years ago??!!). 

He's not going to be anyone's bell cow but he's going to be on some highlights and i'd prefer that he does it with the Bengals. 

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Correct.

Pre free agency i was much stronger on Oline over anything else, pretty much "period!". Since FA i've lightened up on it. I'd still prefer Wright over anyone else at 28 but with the options now, i wouldn't be upset at Robinson there. Or going somewhere else @28 (bpa) and even moving up to get Gibbs in rd2. 

Pretty much other than Wright in the first i'm not too concerned with how they decide to go. I'd be open to a trade up in rd 1 to get Wright or stand pat, take BPA and move up in 2 to get Gibbs. 

Don't even get me started on possibly getting Wright and Gibbs somehow. Boy would my arms get tired...

Bijan Robinson might be one of the few guys that could get the Bengals to move off of Darnell Wright but I agree that Wright is near the top of their board and probably will be the top choice of those available. With Bijan though I think every team not picking in the top 10 will have to talk their selves out of taking Bijan Robinson...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, i went back and edited that post. Gibbs would be a trade back scenario.

I read all those pros and cons but i take my own opinion over them after watching the player. I really wanted Dalvin Cook in '17 over Mixon. I could just as easily be wrong about Gibbs. After all, i did really want Chris Polk (holey shit...was that really 11 years ago??!!). 

He's not going to be anyone's bell cow but he's going to be on some highlights and i'd prefer that he does it with the Bengals. 

At 60 for sure but I doubt he’s there. I don’t think they trade down unless they don’t like their options at 28 or if someone wants their pick.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:37 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, i went back and edited that post. Gibbs would be a trade back scenario.

Well Dalvin went at 41 and Joe 48? But rumors rampant the Vikings trying to trade him today.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well Dalvin went at 41 and Joe 48? But rumors rampant the Vikings trying to trade him today.

Cause they're both approaching the cliff?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:20 PM)jason Wrote: Cause they're both approaching the cliff?

Age and cap effect. Won’t take a cut.

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Bijan Robinson might be one of the few guys that could get the Bengals to move off of Darnell Wright but I agree that Wright is near the top of their board and probably will be the top choice of those available. With Bijan though I think every team not picking in the top 10 will have to talk their selves out of taking Bijan Robinson...

Ok...this won't be popular at all but here goes...

I hadn't watch anything at all on Robinson before just now because he was nowhere near the Bengals radar so i just went and watched some of his iso vids. 

Color me not impressed. *ducks*

After that, i watched his highlight videos and most of his big highlight runs came against unranked or directional schools. Against Alabama and TCU #1 and #4, he did nothing. Those are the types of teams that he's going to be up against every week in the NFL. 

I see Joe Mixon v2.0.

I don't see a guy who is going to come in and make people miss, or run through people, or run past people. He looks like a guy, like Mixon, who can accumulate stats with volume but not be that 4.7+ ypc guy that finds the EZ from more than 10 yards out. He looks like the other 2 guys the Bengals already have in the backfield. 

Yes, i like to carry my own rope around. Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 09:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well Dalvin went at 41 and Joe 48? But rumors rampant the Vikings trying to trade him today.

The Bengals could have had Cook but they traded back and then took Mixon...

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:20 PM)jason Wrote: Cause they're both approaching the cliff?

Yeah, i'm not interested in a 27 yr old, 1300 carry Cook. I wanted the rookie Cook. 

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 10:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The Bengals could have had Cook but they traded back and then took Mixon...

Thanks I wasn’t aware of that. Dalvin has done better.

Reply/Quote