Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katie Blackburn responds.....maybe not so soft after all.
(01-06-2023, 12:14 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I think i would have been more ok with a coin flip to determine the winner of the Bills/Bengals game.

I wouldn't be happy about it a day or two after the game, but now, considering the alternative, yeah, I would rather go that route.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 10:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: First off let me say this:

The NFL is 100% PISSED that the Bengals and Bills decided to NOT finish that game out. 100%. At this point in time, I truly believe the NFL told those teams to get back on the field and the Bills and Bengals defied them...now they are feeling the wrath from it.

I do not have an issue with the winner of the game this Sunday/coin flip determining home field advantage for the playoffs between us and the Ravens. They Ravens had a shot at the division still and you can't just give us that.

What I do have a problem with is:

1. The Bengals have technically "won" the division at this point in time right now. They get all the drawbacks (harder schedule, later draft pick, etc.) and none of the good things that come with it (home field).

2. There should 100% either be a coin flip for the divisional and championship games if the Bengals face either the Bills or Chiefs should be at a neutral site.

The inconsistency in the logic is what kills me. So Baltimore had a chance at the division, OK - lets make sure we give them an opportunity for home field advantage...but the Bengals had a chance for the 1 or 2 seed but let's not give them any kind of shot at home field advantage. That just makes absolutely no sense.

I think you are wrong. But, if you are correct both the Bills and Bengals FO should expose the NFL. To date, they have not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 12:11 PM)Whacked Wrote: One part of me agrees with you.

The other part of me thinks all this emotional baggage from all the bs and chaos may adversely impact this team or at least a few players.

This is a trainwreck in so many ways that it will be a challenge to return to being laser focused w this mess going on.

This is the biggest test yet this season on how the team can rally.  All those games through the season where we said "this week is the big test" because of this and that are honestly nothing compared to this.  This completely stopped all their momentum and now they have to start from a standstill to get back into that groove.  They could stumble this week and still win out, but it's going to be a major hurdle to get to where they were a week ago.  

For the team, I think if things fall flat at least the fanbase will give them some grace on it.  The fire will be toward the league.  But we've seen this team overcome a lot, they have a strong locker room and a good bond.  I think they can come together again here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:12 AM)Big Boss Wrote: 1) If the Bengals lose on Sunday, flip a coin to decide the division winner.  The winner gets homefield advantage, a harder 2023 schedule and a lower draft pick (as typical of division winner).

2) Any playoff game between teams with differing numbers of played games should be neutral site.

I think those two revisions are perfectly fair.  Do that and I'm at peace.  But as things are, the Bengals need to speak up loudly in today's meeting.  This can't stand as is.

I gotta say, that sounds about as fair as anything I've seen.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

The NFL is 100% PISSED that the Bengals and Bills decided to NOT finish that game out. 100%. At this point in time, I truly believe the NFL told those teams to get back on the field and the Bills and Bengals defied them...now they are feeling the wrath from it.

I do not have an issue with the winner of the game this Sunday/coin flip determining home field advantage for the playoffs between us and the Ravens. They Ravens had a shot at the division still and you can't just give us that.

1. The Bengals have technically "won" the division at this point in time right now. They get all the drawbacks (harder schedule, later draft pick, etc.) and none of the good things that come with it (home field).

2. There should 100% either be a coin flip for the divisional and championship games if the Bengals face either the Bills or Chiefs should be at a neutral site.

The inconsistency in the logic is what kills me. So Baltimore had a chance at the division, OK - lets make sure we give them an opportunity for home field advantage...but the Bengals had a chance for the 1 or 2 seed but let's not give them any kind of shot at home field advantage. That just makes absolutely no sense.

Well said.

Reply/Quote
You can pretty much read the writing on the wall if this ever occurs again in Cincinnati with playoff implications. It won't matter if the other entire team drops dead on the field all at the same time. The hell with "suspending the game". Make your coaches drag their sorry asses out on the field to finish the game. 
Slightly over the top?  Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 11:08 AM)motoarch Wrote: She's right and doesn't need to be aggressive about.

There are rules in place for this exact situation and they should abide by them.

There is not a previous president for voting to change rules in season so don't do it now.

If some teams disagree with the rules in place they can propose a change at the appropriate time.

I was okay with the proposal but now that I understand the current rules and her statement of how the process works I see no reason to change it to a proposal that is not anymore fair than what was already in place.

A proposal that to some degree benefits KC the most (a team that's lost to oth bills and Bengals this season).  And gives bills a home game in a situation where the Bengals could be a 3 seed to bills 3 seed just doesn't work.

Yes I'm not forgetting I was okay with this before but after more consideration it just doesn't work.

Ain't a damn thing wrong with changing your position when more information is presented. In fact, it's smart.

Reply/Quote

Great post but I’m not so sure the NFL retaliated for not playing the game.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 12:11 PM)Whacked Wrote: One part of me agrees with you.

The other part of me thinks all this emotional baggage from all the bs and chaos may adversely impact this team or at least a few players.

This is a trainwreck in so many ways that it will be a challenge to return to being laser focused w this mess going on.

In the past, I would've agreed, but not this bunch. It'll be on like Donkey Kong son!

Reply/Quote
They thought giving us the AFCN would shut us up

If we didn’t think we could beat the Ravens then maybe we’d be happy with clinching the north but we all know we’re gonna a beat that trash Ravens team so all these scenarios do is insulate the Chiefs, and help Baltimore get a possible home game when they wouldn’t deserve one.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:27 AM)Wyche Wrote: Oh, I don't think she's pissed, per se, but I think she's probably a little miffed. People earlier in the day were talking like the Bengals brass wouldn't say anything about it being a hose job, but it seems like Katie did. 

I mean she can't go off the deep end and sling chairs at the meeting and boycott the league like some posters on here would like to do, lol. That said, it's a response....and one that shows displeasure. 

I am assuming the meeting is via Teleconference so the only chairs she would be slinging are her own.  Mellow
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:18 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I am assuming the meeting is via Teleconference so the only chairs she would be slinging are her own.  Mellow

You could still sling one at the camera for effect. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 01:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: In the past, I would've agreed, but not this bunch. It'll be on like Donkey Kong son!

This whole thing really pissed me off last night. Now I’m just thinking, “**** it. Hang 50 on them. All 5 more of them who are in the way.”
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

Wow! Wasn’t expecting that lol love it!
Reply/Quote
Even though I'm relatively 'whatever' about the NFL's proposal here, I'm glad Zac isn't afraid to signal his dissatisfaction. Power to the man, I've really developed a ton of respect for him this week.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:01 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I'm most upset with the fact that if the Bengals and Bills win this week and meet in round 2, it will be played in Buffalo.

If they finished the game Monday we would have earned a second home playoff game by winning.

Totally agree with this point.  Add to it, if KC loses to a motivated backup QB on Saturday, we had a real shot at the #1 seed.  

We had the lead, momentum, and the energy of the home crowd behind us....  I realize no guarantees, but odds were absolutely in our favor for the win.  

To me, it was finish it week 19, or come up with a solution where Bengals-Bills is at worst at a neutral site, at best back at Bengals...  In no world does it make sense the Bengals get "punished" for a no contest game they were leading at home in front of that atmosphere.  You'll never convince me odds weren't at least in their favor of winning without that terrible accident.

So glad to hear Damar is improving, and continued prayers for a full and speedy recovery.  That is absolutely the most important thing.  But from a pure football perspective, I feel the Bengals have come out on the very short end of the stick.....  So disappointing.  The window of opportunity for this particular group won't last for ever.
Reply/Quote
I love seeing those quotes from Zac. There are a lot of questions about whether this team is going to be ready for Sunday and can get the momentum back. I think this now works in their favor. They came together, did the right thing for Damar the other night and now they're getting disrespected. Take that and use it. This whole situation is so weird and wild, but might end up bringing them together more. And hearing Zac say these things appears to show they're a little pissed off by it, which means they're not just floating through this week without focus (or having trouble focusing), which has been a concern.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:40 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I love seeing those quotes from Zac.  There are a lot of questions about whether this team is going to be ready for Sunday and can get the momentum back.  I think this now works in their favor.  They came together, did the right thing for Damar the other night and now they're getting disrespected.  Take that and use it.  This whole situation is so weird and wild, but might end up bringing them together more.  And hearing Zac say these things appears to show they're a little pissed off by it, which means they're not just floating through this week without focus (or having trouble focusing), which has been a concern.

If Zac is making those comments publicly, I can only imagine what's being said in the locker room.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Ian Rappaport on NFLN basically said the Bengals aren't happy but they vote against everything so essentially who cares what they think

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote