Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Keeping Tee Higgins is not that impossible.
(09-09-2023, 09:42 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: LOL The starting D line is taking up almost a quarter of the used cap this year,, but pretty much everyone was cool with extending Trey and wants DJ re-signed. Rolleyes

The defense is what has carried us in the playoffs.  Burrow had Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst and still struggled to put points on the board against both Baltimore and Kansas City in the playoffs.  Lets not have the excuse if Boyd doesnt get injured we beat K.C.  Boyd was injured in the second quarter and by that time we were already getting beat and struggling on offense even with Boyd.  Zero TDs in the first half with Boyd.   Also, If not for the defense scoring a TD against Baltimore and bailing out the offense, we lose that game.  The offense couldnt get it done against Baltimore.

Everybody talks about Burrow and all the offensive weapons we have but Burrow and offense just disappear at times.  It has been the defense that steps up and keeps us in games.  After all we have lost on defense does anybody think its a good idea to further weaken the defense and let guys like Reader leave? so we can keep an offense together that often does their disappearing act?  We need to keep a strong defense that can stop AFC north rushing attacks and can limit other team's offenses in the playoffs.  All of this starts up front with the D line.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 10:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Might be an unpopular opinion but I’m not really sure they should re-sign Reader either. Not at his age, injury history, and what it will likely cost.

Trey was pretty much a must. You can’t win in this league without a dominant pass rusher.

How do you expect to win the AFC North if you cant stop the run? much less do anything in the playoffs?    DJ Reader may be 29 years old and gets dinged up but who are you going to replace him with?  Who is the proven elite run stopper we are getting to replace Reader so we can shut down the Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh rushing attacks?
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 01:00 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The defense is what has carried us in the playoffs.  Burrow had Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst and still struggled to put points on the board against both Baltimore and Kansas City in the playoffs.  Lets not have the excuse if Boyd doesnt get injured we beat K.C.  Boyd was injured in the second quarter and by that time we were already getting beat and struggling on offense even with Boyd.  Zero TDs in the first half with Boyd.   Also, If not for the defense scoring a TD against Baltimore and bailing out the offense, we lose that game.  The offense couldnt get it done against Baltimore.

Everybody talks about Burrow and all the offensive weapons we have but Burrow and offense just disappear at times.  It has been the defense that steps up and keeps us in games.  After all we have lost on defense does anybody think its a good idea to further weaken the defense and let guys like Reader leave? so we can keep an offense together that often does their disappearing act?  We need to keep a strong defense that can stop AFC north rushing attacks and can limit other team's offenses in the playoffs.  All of this starts up front with the D line.

The offense has been hindered by an OL made up of guys not even currently in the league. Kind of a big thing to just brush over when talking about some of those playoff games.

Get Burrow to January with the majority of this current OL healthy and you’ll see them put up points against anyone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 01:09 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: How do you expect to win the AFC North if you cant stop the run? much less do anything in the playoffs?    DJ Reader may be 29 years old and gets dinged up but who are you going to replace him with?  Who is the proven elite run stopper we are getting to replace Reader so we can shut down the Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh rushing attacks?

That’s Duke’s job to figure out, not mine. But Hubbard is an elite run stopper on the edge. And they have him for 3 more seasons.

Also, the Bengals are not traditionally big on giving out 3rd contracts, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t end up re-signing Reader.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 01:00 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The defense is what has carried us in the playoffs.  Burrow had Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hurst and still struggled to put points on the board against both Baltimore and Kansas City in the playoffs.  Lets not have the excuse if Boyd doesnt get injured we beat K.C.  Boyd was injured in the second quarter and by that time we were already getting beat and struggling on offense even with Boyd.  Zero TDs in the first half with Boyd.   Also, If not for the defense scoring a TD against Baltimore and bailing out the offense, we lose that game.  The offense couldnt get it done against Baltimore.

Sounds like you've been holding all that in for awhile.

[Image: mind-control-dinner-for-schmucks.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 01:09 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: How do you expect to win the AFC North if you cant stop the run? much less do anything in the playoffs?    DJ Reader may be 29 years old and gets dinged up but who are you going to replace him with?  Who is the proven elite run stopper we are getting to replace Reader so we can shut down the Cleveland, Baltimore, Pittsburgh rushing attacks?

Who is the proven stud receiver you're replacing Tee with?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Justin Jefferson didn't set the top of the market this off-season and is pushing it until next year. That can affect guys like Tee Higgins who has to sign into a Tier behind Jefferson but what number is that when we dont know the top number.

And Jefferson not signing yet will affect negotiations with Ja’Marr as well next off season. Jefferson will be the ceiling. Chase will be just below him. It’s a ll a game of dominos. Heck they really couldn’t negotiate in earnest with Tee until they knew how Joe’s contract would be structured.

I love DJ Reader, but the reality is that he will be 30 years old at a position that players don’t play into their 30s at high levels very often. He has missed significant playing time over the length of this current contract. If he can stay healthy this season, maybe he gets another contract. If he can’t, he won’t be re-signed.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 08:32 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I will (happily) eat a shoe if Tee re-signs with the Bengals.

He has watched the WR market. He knows the money he stands to make by going to a team that will undoubtedly throw a lot of money his way to be the WR1. He's probably willing to play out his deal here, maybe even take the tag next year.

But unless both he and Chase decide that they will take pay cuts to stay here (which they probably won't/shouldn't), I don't see Tee being here long term.

There is going to be a decent sized cap hit whether they sign him or not.  100% if they don't he will be the franchise tag and still get big money - probably for 2 years.

Guess he could always sit out but that'd be stupid on his part, plus that just doesn't seem to be his style.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 02:05 AM)Eraserhead Wrote: Who is the proven stud receiver you're replacing Tee with?

This.  Receiver's like Tee are way more valuable than even a great NT.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 07:10 AM)pally Wrote: And Jefferson not signing yet will affect negotiations with Ja’Marr as well next off season.  Jefferson will be the ceiling.  Chase will be just below him.  It’s a ll a game of dominos.  Heck they really couldn’t negotiate in earnest with Tee until they knew how Joe’s contract would be structured.

Chase is good enough that the Bengals can set thr top of the market themselves and force thr Vikings to go reset it (like all these QB contracts this offseason). If Jefferson or Chase doesn't set the top of the WR market Waddle might.

As for Tee he has a different issue not knowing where the top of the market he doesn't know how much less he will get in his Tier. Right now thr top of the market is like 30m a year which probably puts Tee in at 18-22m range but if the top of the market is 35m that will probably bring him up to that 24-27m range. (Rough numbers to get the point across lol.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 11:40 AM)Synric Wrote: Chase is good enough that the Bengals can set thr top of the market themselves and force thr Vikings to go reset it (like all these QB contracts this offseason). If Jefferson or Chase doesn't set the top of the WR market Waddle might.

As for Tee he has a different issue not knowing where the top of the market he doesn't know how much less he will get in his Tier. Right now thr top of the market is like 30m a year which probably puts Tee in at 18-22m range but if the top of the market is 35m that will probably bring him up to that 24-27m range. (Rough numbers to get the point across lol.)

That could be the angle Team Tee is shooting for, getting a couple of millions more next year?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:58 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: That's for non-exclusive franchise tags.

Use that then.  I would've sworn the Transition Tag included compensation, but I guess not.

(09-09-2023, 10:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Tee wasn't really a world beater his rookie season..

Tee tied the team rookie catch record and is one of 50 players that have recorded over 900 yards in their rookie seasons.  Six of those players did it in the following 3 seasons that expanded to 17 games.  He did this as the 3 receiver (behind Green and Boyd), and with Brandon Allen and Ryan Finley at QB for the final 7 games, as his soon to be star rookie QB was injured.  I'd say your statement is far from accurate.

EDIT:  For anyone who wants to see the WR list:
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/wide-receivers-with-900-yard-rookie-seasons
Reply/Quote
I feel like we could draft a wr that could produce 0 catches.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 02:02 AM)Eraserhead Wrote: Sounds like you've been holding all that in for awhile.

No, just stating the obvious that some people cant seem to see.  I am assuming you watched the game today?  Now you know exactly what my post was all about.  If you dont understand re-read my post and put that in to context of todays game.
Reply/Quote
Tee plays like he did today for rest of the year than he is going to be real cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:29 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Tee plays like he did today for rest of the year than he is going to be real cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eh...he's still going to get paid somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Eh...he's still going to get paid somewhere.

Not if he ends the year with 0 catches for 0 yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2023, 06:38 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not if he ends the year with 0 catches for 0 yards.

They throw him some 0 yard passes to pad his stats.
Reply/Quote
I blame Tee’s new # and Burrow’s hair.

Reply/Quote
He looked like ass. Only guys on the field worse than him were Burrow and Robbins.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote