Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences
(09-09-2023, 01:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: It's apparent the Bengals undervalue Tee Higgins
They want to pay a top 10 WR like he is the 18th best WR
On a list of the Top 25.

I would disagree what is apparent they value Chase more and know that adding price tag of Higgins as top 10 is probably too much $$ with Chase top 5 price
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 01:10 PM)impactplaya Wrote: It's apparent the Bengals undervalue Tee Higgins
On a list of the Top 25.

Higgins is not one of the top 10 WRs in the NFL.  I can think of a bunch of WRs that are better.

Justin Jefferson
Davante Adams
Tyreek Hill
Ja'marr Chase
Cooper Kupp
Stefon Diggs
CeeDee Lamb
Deebo Samuel
A.J. Brown
D.K. Metcalf
Jaylen Waddle
DeVonta Smith

You have some older guys that are better like Mike Evans but I didnt list him because of his age even though he is much better statically.  Higgins would be in the next group of #15 - #25 ranked receivers more comparable to guys like Brandon Aiyuk or Amon-Ra St. Brown.    Tee is good but he is not a top 10 WR.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 12:41 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why not? Many seem to think you can replace a 2nd rounder with a 5th. (Mixon-Brown)
He shows good potential and has 2 years to develop before possibly taking over. 
If he shows good growth, might be worth taking the chance. If not, you can spend a high draft pick in two years on a WR.

What happened to the Burrow will make the WR's better narrative?

Because RB is a complete different position and we see late round or even undrafted guys become RB1 or put up good seasons regularly. I've never said Brown on his own can fully replace Mixon but it's not like that's unheard of for that position. Mixon is also not as good as Tee.

It's pretty rare for a WR1 not to be from round 1 or 2. Obviously the hope is he becomes a Marvin Jones type receiver (production wise) but we'll see. I've never said Burrow will make receivers better, so you'll have to ask those people. I do agree with anyone who says if Burrow is who we think he is he should make them better but I'm not sure we've seen that yet. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 01:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Didn't take long to find that Perfect Example, guy who said a 6th round can't replace a 2nd rounder but a 5th can replace a 2nd? 

I didn't see the exact context on how the comment was written, but it seems pretty clear the situations aren't 1:1, no? 

Mixon is an aging running back who has not played well and suffered from various injuries over the years. He was also on a bad contract for his performance before his pay cut. Higgins is younger at more valuable position, a position that generally has more longevity and higher pay. 

Generally, it's easier to get adequate production from a commitee of cheap young running backs than it is to get top 15 receiver production. 

It seems reasonable to think Evans/Brown/Cheap vet could replace Mixon to save money, but think replacing Higgings with Iosivas may not be enough. 

We've seen it league-wide that teams don't value running backs, especially 27 year old ones, and highly value productive receivers. Once these players are so far along in their careers, their draft round doesn't matter. Mixon no longer plays like a 2nd rounder and Higgins plays better than a second rounder. 

With that said I don't believe it is smart to sign Tee to big money. Use this year to evaluate our two rookies and see if they have the juice to be the guys next season. If not, we need to spend more draft capital or sign a cheaper mid level vet if one the team likes is available. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
On a list of the Top 25.

He's probably about 15 or 16.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Apparently all is well. A guy just posted on Bengals Facebook that most fans don’t understand NFL finances. Guaranteed money DOES NOT count against the cap. Whew. DJ, Tee, JaMarr, Chido all coming back!!!!!! Woo hoo.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 04:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Apparently all is well. A guy just posted on Bengals Facebook that most fans don’t understand NFL finances. Guaranteed money DOES NOT count against the cap. Whew. DJ, Tee, JaMarr, Chido all coming back!!!!!!  Woo hoo.

Depends on how he is referencing guaranteed money.  He is correct that Joe's 219M does not impact the cap as it is built in with the 275M.  The only time guaranteed money impacts the cap is if a player is cut/traded before the contract ends.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Depends on how he is referencing guaranteed money.  He is correct that Joe's 219M does not impact the cap as it is built in with the 275M.  The only time guaranteed money impacts the cap is if a player is cut/traded before the contract ends.

Im not sure what you mean. Guaranteed money counts like all the other money.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Im not sure what you mean. Guaranteed money counts like all the other money.

It really doesnt.  Joe's cap hit is 275M regardless if all 275 is guaranteed or if none is.  The only time the guarantee impacts the cap is if we would cut Joe before the contract ends and a portion of guaranteed money has not been paid.

How are you calculating the guaranteed money?

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:29 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Taking Carman over Creed oh my. But incorrectly I think they thought center wasn’t their biggest need. Smith had blood cot issues that pushed him down to 6 in the first place. It’s pretty simple that our drafting of OL has been less than mediocre. I sure hope it’s finally settled.

Carman was NOT a consensus pick in the building.  I have no idea how much they valued Creed but I simply hate the forced pick of Carman.  Im well aware of Smith's blood clots, followed him since high school. The clots were not a playing issue his last year but were definitely a red flag.  Taking a flyer in the 6th round on a border line 1st rounder is a very smart move.  

We had TWO picks in the 6th Round, Trey Hill and Chris Evans.  Both of our picks were before KC's #226 in which they chose Smith.  Yes Im not happy about it, will never be happy about it.  We have gone a decade without a very solid oline draft pick.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 04:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Apparently all is well. A guy just posted on Bengals Facebook that most fans don’t understand NFL finances. Guaranteed money DOES NOT count against the cap. Whew. DJ, Tee, JaMarr, Chido all coming back!!!!!!  Woo hoo.

Guaranteed money does count against the cap good grief. All that being guaranteed means is the payment of those monies is guaranteed; and in the NFL it means that the guaranteed money is held in an escrow account partly to ensure the money is there to fulfill the guarantee. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 05:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It really doesnt.  Joe's cap hit is 275M regardless if all 275 is guaranteed or if none is.  The only time the guarantee impacts the cap is if we would cut Joe before the contract ends and a portion of guaranteed money has not been paid.

How are you calculating the guaranteed money?

I think you are misunderstanding. He said guaranteed money does not count towards the cap. As in zero cap hit.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 06:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: Guaranteed money does count against the cap good grief. All that being guaranteed means is the payment of those monies is guaranteed; and in the NFL it means that the guaranteed money is held in an escrow account partly to ensure the money is there to fulfill the guarantee. 

But he said it with such authority. LOL

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 06:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: Guaranteed money does count against the cap good grief. All that being guaranteed means is the payment of those monies is guaranteed; and in the NFL it means that the guaranteed money is held in an escrow account partly to ensure the money is there to fulfill the guarantee. 

(09-09-2023, 09:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But he said it with such authority. LOL

I think Joe left out the word NOT.... if he didnt then you are both wrong. But he is correct about everything else so i think he simply left out the word NOT.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think you are misunderstanding. He said guaranteed money does not count towards the cap. As in zero cap hit.

If the guy is saying that the 219M guaranteed out of the 275M doesnt count against the cap, leaving only 56M, then he is pathetically ignorant. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If the guy is saying that the 219M guaranteed out of the 275M doesnt count against the cap, leaving only 56M, then he is pathetically ignorant. 

That’s what it said.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:18 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I think Joe left out the word NOT.... if he didnt then you are both wrong. But he is correct about everything else so i think he simply left out the word NOT.

No he left out a question mark.

This was just supposed to be a funny.

Reply/Quote
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/9/11/23868644/tee-higgins-bengals-contract-extension

Did anyone think we were going to re-sign Tee with his agent and how well he gels with the front office?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:16 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/9/11/23868644/tee-higgins-bengals-contract-extension

Did anyone think we were going to re-sign Tee with his agent and how well he gels with the front office?

They need to avoid drafting players with him as their agent if they can. If there’s a couple guys that are close on their board and one is represented by Mulugheta and the other isn’t I know who I’d take.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 06:16 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2023/9/11/23868644/tee-higgins-bengals-contract-extension

Don’t think just because the Athletic reports something it is the “official” team position. Things can happen if the principals involved want to get it done.
Reply/Quote