Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Anderson on Joe- “he’s probably better than me”
High praise

Full article: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/ken-anderson-offers-up-big-time-praise-for-joe-burrow

"He's going to be the best quarterback in Bengals history."
Reply/Quote
Not only that, I believe he raises the level of his teammates around him.
Reply/Quote
Legends always respect greatness, and usually push them by propping them up. Shaq just said Giannis is better than he ever was, which - with all due respect to Giannis - is bunk.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Kid has a bright future.. Should really take off when we remove the anchors
Reply/Quote
Kenny is total class no doubt... he had strong praise for Dalton also but that is "one impressive statement" on Burrow.. hope it comes true for sure on the field
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let’s hope it works out better than Chad saying AJ would be better than he was…

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 05:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let’s hope it works out better than Chad saying AJ would be better than he was…

Sadly you can;t predict injuries that put a dent in AJ finishing ahead of Chad in Bengals record book, though he still is playing and could finish above Chad in overall stats.  Lets hope Burrow is not the next Greg Cook, I was old enough to watch Cook and he still to me was the best talent we have ever had at QB to start in the beginning of their careers.. if Burrow gets hurt again this year that would be a major concern with health. 
Reply/Quote
I love Kenny.  And I love Joe.  But Kenny is being way too generous here.  

There's a very good reason he's an inaugural member of the newly formed Ring of Honor, and there's a very good reason he's often considered as a clear snub for the HOF.  He was one of the better QB's of an entire generation, he had a winning record as a starter (91 wins), and he played in a Superbowl.

Joe Burrow, even for all of the hype of around him, the Heisman and him flashing potential, hasn't really accomplished anything of note in this league yet.  We can all hope and believe he will go on to do great things but until he actually starts proving himself to be a well above average starter, and for a consistent amount of time, then I don't think this is fair statement.  

Compared to Kenny Anderson, Joe Burrow is an absolute nobody.  And that's no shot at Joe, the same is true for any number of young QB's.  Justin Herbert?  Nobody when compared to the greats.  Justin Fields?  Nobody.  Trevor Lawrence?  Nobody.  Zach Wilson?  Nobody.

And if for some reason Kenny is just talking about skill level (throwing power + accuracy, strength, speed) then he basically just described probably 75% of the QB's in the league.  I would assume the vast majority of NFL players are physically superior to their peers from the past.

I'm honestly not trying to rain on the parade here but this Joe Burrow stuff gets a bit nuts on here and around the city.  I'm excited to see him progress as the next guy but he's still got a whole lot to prove.  Nothing is a given.  We can't keep making statements like "I think he really elevates the players around him" when he clearly hasn't done that yet.  He was 2-7-1 as a starter last season.  Let's give it some time to crown this kid.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I love Kenny.  And I love Joe.  But Kenny is being way too generous here.  

There's a very good reason he's an inaugural member of the newly formed Ring of Honor, and there's a very good reason he's often considered as a clear snub for the HOF.  He was one of the better QB's of an entire generation, he had a winning record as a starter (91 wins), and he played in a Superbowl.

Joe Burrow, even for all of the hype of around him, the Heisman and him flashing potential, hasn't really accomplished anything of note in this league yet.  We can all hope and believe he will go on to do great things but until he actually starts proving himself to be a well above average starter, and for a consistent amount of time, then I don't think this is fair statement.  

Compared to Kenny Anderson, Joe Burrow is an absolute nobody.  And that's no shot at Joe, the same is true for any number of young QB's.  Justin Herbert?  Nobody when compared to the greats.  Justin Fields?  Nobody.  Trevor Lawrence?  Nobody.  Zach Wilson?  Nobody.

And if for some reason Kenny is just talking about skill level (throwing power + accuracy, strength, speed) then he basically just described probably 75% of the QB's in the league.  I would assume the vast majority of NFL players are physically superior to their peers from the past.

I'm honestly not trying to rain on the parade here but this Joe Burrow stuff gets a bit nuts on here and around the city.  I'm excited to see him progress as the next guy but he's still got a whole lot to prove.  Nothing is a given.  We can't keep making statements like "I think he really elevates the players around him" when he clearly hasn't done that yet.  He was 2-7-1 as a starter last season.  Let's give it some time to crown this kid.

You made some good points, in the end Joe will have to win make the playoffs and win there also to best Kenny..
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 06:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You made some good points, in the end Joe will have to win make the playoffs and win there also to best Kenny..

Burrow isn't better than Kenny until he wins a SB and wins 2 MVPs.  With that being said, Kenny didn't have to play for Mike Brown.  Still, the idea of a QB being the best a franchise ever had because he wins a playoff game or two is pretty grim...but I'd take it.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 06:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Burrow isn't better than Kenny until he wins a SB and wins 2 MVPs.  With that being said, Kenny didn't have to play for Mike Brown.  Still, the idea of a QB being the best a franchise ever had because he wins a playoff game or two is pretty grim...but I'd take it.

Except it doesn't work that way.

Flash back to 2000.  The New Orleans Saints defeated the Rams for their first ever post season victory.  Not one person at that time declared Aaron Brooks was a better QB than Archie Manning or Bobby Hebert because he had a playoff win under his belt.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 08:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Except it doesn't work that way.

Flash back to 2000.  The New Orleans Saints defeated the Rams for their first ever post season victory.  Not one person at that time declared Aaron Brooks was a better QB than Archie Manning or Bobby Hebert because he had a playoff win under his belt.

I assure you when Burrow wins his first playoff game here he's going to get the "Best Bengals QB ever" moniker.  It probably doesn't help that our other noteworthy QBs have only been seen by people who were born when the Beatles were still together.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I love Kenny.  And I love Joe.  But Kenny is being way too generous here.  

Oh man, a 2nd year QB doesn't compare to the entire legacy of arguably the best QB the team has ever fielded? AND he hasn't accomplished anything except his knee getting shredded? It's almost like Burrow only played a handful of games with a terrible team surrounding him.

I get being realistic, but Ken Anderson has forgotten more about being a NFL QB than any of us will ever know and his word means more than all of our collective opinions.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 06:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I love Kenny.  And I love Joe.  But Kenny is being way too generous here.  

I 100% agree with everything you just said. On the Bengals subreddit, there was a post talking about how Burrow has a better chance to win MVP than Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson. I love Burrow as much as the next guy but I’m not ready to anoint him as the next king. He needs to prove that he is as good as many people seem to believe he is.
Reply/Quote
Only time will tell.

What's interesting is both Burrow and Ken have a lot of similarities. Both are Highly accurate passers and Athletic QBs. It is like both are perfect fits in the west coast offense.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 09:38 PM)J24 Wrote: Only time will tell.

What's interesting is both Burrow and Ken have a lot of similarities. Both are Highly accurate passers and Athletic QBs. It is like both are perfect fits in the west coast offense.

If Joe learns how to throw the deep pass like Anderson, that could really be something
Reply/Quote
Maybe Ken was taking about TODAY. He thinks he could come out of retirement but Joe is probably better. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 01:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not only that, I believe he raises the level of his teammates around him.

Confused ConfusedConfused

I thought he needed elite weapons to elevate..... eh nevermid....

As others said though, he has a long way to go to even pass Dalton, much less Boomer and Kennny on the best Bengal QBs list. 

He has the talent, just have to see if how it develops and how the coaching helps it to develop. Can't let him get beat down another year as we did that once before with Klingler who started wearing a flak jacket on the field.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 09:06 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Oh man, a 2nd year QB doesn't compare to the entire legacy of arguably the best QB the team has ever fielded? AND he hasn't accomplished anything except his knee getting shredded? It's almost like Burrow only played a handful of games with a terrible team surrounding him.

I get being realistic, but Ken Anderson has forgotten more about being a NFL QB than any of us will ever know and his word means more than all of our collective opinions.

Hey, man, don't let facts get in the way if a good crybaby rant!
Reply/Quote
I think there is a very good chance Burrow winds up the best QB in Bengals history. He has many of the same physical traits Anderson had. He's very accurate, good arm strength and athletic. He also has the leadership and moxy that Boomer had. If they put the talent around him they had he could win an MVP and Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote