Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Anderson-there is always next year
(07-13-2023, 01:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They were already making excuses for the Hall on NFL radio as they think Anderson will not get in, again, this year...... "Well, there are so many deserving players they may not want to go back to another Bengal since they just voted Riley in......" Of all the BS excuses...
I have personally never been to the HOF and will not go until Kenny Anderson is in there.

It is certainly a BS excuse. FTR, they just put 2 Jets in this year, Revis and Klecko. Hopefully, they do the right thing regardless of Riley this year. 

I don't see anyone that's more deserving than Anderson, so i think he has a good shot. If you look at it objectively, it's criminal that only Munoz was in there up until this year. The Hall has some catching up to do regarding the Bengals. K. Anderson, W. Anderson and Dillon are all deserving of the honor. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While I'd love to see Chad get in, there are still quite a number of guys ahead of him among WRs.

Jimmy Smith
Anquan Boldin
Torry Holt (I honestly thought he was in already)
Steve Smith
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Antonio Brown

As much as I hate to put Brown on that list, his 2013-2018 were absolutely monstrous. Had the dude not become a PR nightmare after leaving PIT, I have no doubt he would have gone on to become a Top 10 receiver stat-wise of all time and shoe-in for the HOF.

I disagree on some of these.  Chad was a 6x Pro Bowler and 2x 1st team All Pro with 3 total All Pro selections.

Jimmy Smith-5 Pro Bowls, 2x 2nd team All Pro
Anquan Boldin-3 Pro Bowls, never an All Pro
Torry Holt-7 Pro Bowls, 2 total All Pro"s(1 1st team).
Steve Smith-5 Pro Bowls, 3 All Pro's(2 1st team)
Reggie Wayne-6 Pro Bowls, 3 All Pro's (1 1st team)
Andre Johnson -7 Pro Bowls, 4 All Pro's(2 1st team)
Brandon Marshall -6 Pro Bowls, 2 All Pro's(1 1st team)
Antonio Brown-7 Pro Bowls, 5 All Pro's(4 1st team)

Brown and Johnson, certainly.  Giving Wayne and Holt the edge because of their rings?  Sure.  But guys like Boldin and Jimmy Smith?  No way.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: I disagree on some of these.  Chad was a 6x Pro Bowler and 2x 1st team All Pro with 3 total All Pro selections.

Brown and Johnson, certainly.  Giving Wayne and Holt the edge because of their rings?  Sure.  But guys like Boldin and Jimmy Smith?  No way.

Boldin and Jimmy Smith have far more stats than Chad does.
Jimmy Smith (12 years) - 862 receptions for 12287 yards, 67 TDs
Boldin (14 years) - 1076 receptions for 13779 yards, 82 TDs
Chad (11 years) - 766 receptions for 11059 yards, 67 TDs

Do Smith and Boldin have better stats because they played longer than Chad? Arguably yes. But stats are a huge factor into decision-making for HOF when it comes to offensive weapons. With none of them having rings, stats are going to be a bigger part of the conversation. And Chad had the infamous headbutt to his then-wife which ultimately resulted in him never playing in the league another season, which will affect his consideration at least a bit.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Any idea what time this is supposed to happen?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: While I'd love to see Chad get in, there are still quite a number of guys ahead of him among WRs.

Jimmy Smith
Anquan Boldin
Torry Holt (I honestly thought he was in already)
Steve Smith
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Brandon Marshall
Antonio Brown

As much as I hate to put Brown on that list, his 2013-2018 were absolutely monstrous. Had the dude not become a PR nightmare after leaving PIT, I have no doubt he would have gone on to become a Top 10 receiver stat-wise of all time and shoe-in for the HOF.

Great list, thanks.

I'd still put Chad ahead of most of them. Jimmy didn't have much more team success than Chad, and he's too quiet for a show like the HOF. The numbers are comparable, tho. Boldin was the epitome of solid and his longevity speaks for itself, but I don't hear many talk about him outside of draft time when his pedestrian RAS dominates the conversation lol. He also spent most of his time as a WR2. Chad was unquestionably WR1 outside of his time as a rookie and the cup of coffee he had in NE.  

I think Steve Smith and Wayne are more Chad's level and they certainly deserve to get in- and they will. Marshall and Brown may get in eventually but they're both pariahs for the moment: Marshall for a career of controversies and playing on a hundred teams, and Brown for too many reasons to name. Marshall's done better to rehabilitate his image than Brown, but Chad has done the best. 

Honestly, I know it's not popular but Chad should get in for just... being popular. You could at least make a case for his numbers and talent (as his peers often do, specifically in terms of his separation and routes), while his star power can carry him the rest of the way. JMO.    
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Boldin and Jimmy Smith have far more stats than Chad does.
Jimmy Smith (12 years) - 862 receptions for 12287 yards, 67 TDs
Boldin (14 years) - 1076 receptions for 13779 yards, 82 TDs
Chad (11 years) - 766 receptions for 11059 yards, 67 TDs

Do Smith and Boldin have better stats because they played longer than Chad? Arguably yes. But stats are a huge factor into decision-making for HOF when it comes to offensive weapons. With none of them having rings, stats are going to be a bigger part of the conversation. And Chad had the infamous headbutt to his then-wife which ultimately resulted in him never playing in the league another season, which will affect his consideration at least a bit.

Raw statistical accumulation means less and less as eras change and standards of production change.  Even today, it's largely a legacy candidate argument.  It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stars, and I'll guarantee you more people know exactly who you're talking about when you name drop Chad Johnson than Jimmy Smith.  And I've never heard of a guy who was never an All Pro even once making the Hall.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 03:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Raw statistical accumulation means less and less as eras change and standards of production change.  Even today, it's largely a legacy candidate argument.  It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stars, and I'll guarantee you more people know exactly who you're talking about when you name drop Chad Johnson than Jimmy Smith.  And I've never heard of a guy who was never an All Pro even once making the Hall.  

I mean, if that's the logic people are primarily using for who deserves to be in the HOF, then Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel should be in it.
Stats do matter.

As for never hearing a guy who never made an all pro make the HOF, it didn't take me long to find someone - Harold Carmichael.
Played 14 years in the league as a WR/TE, never once made All Pro. Did make Pro Bowl 4 times. 1971-1984.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 01:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: I disagree on some of these.  Chad was a 6x Pro Bowler and 2x 1st team All Pro with 3 total All Pro selections.

Jimmy Smith absolutely deserves in, plus he has a ring (or 2?)

Boldin is the only one of those who is a no-brainer for worse than Chad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 03:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I mean, if that's the logic people are primarily using for who deserves to be in the HOF, then Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel should be in it.
Stats do matter.

As for never hearing a guy who never made an all pro make the HOF, it didn't take me long to find someone - Harold Carmichael.
Played 14 years in the league as a WR/TE, never once made All Pro. Did make Pro Bowl 4 times. 1971-1984.

Tim Tebow and Johnny Football were never even considered good, let alone great.

Harold Carmichael was a 2nd team All Pro for the Eagles in the 1979 season.  

Seriously, think how bad the case for Boldin is.  The guy played 14 years and was never even once considered Top Four at his position, but he's one of the greatest of all time?  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 04:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Jimmy Smith absolutely deserves in, plus he has a ring (or 2?)

Boldin is the only one of those who is a no-brainer for worse than Chad

Smith only dressed for 7 games for the '92 Cowboys and didn't record a catch.  He didn't dress at all in '93 or '94.  So he technically has rings, but didn't really contribute much those years.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 04:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: Smith only dressed for 7 games for the '92 Cowboys and didn't record a catch.  He didn't dress at all in '93 or '94.  So he technically has rings, but didn't really contribute much those years.

I agree, but he does still have rings. That matters (see: Lynn Swann).

Yes, I know Swann actually contributed, but the rings are always what people point to for justification
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
The selections will be announced at 11AM on Wed

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 04:59 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I agree, but he does still have rings. That matters (see: Lynn Swann).

Yes, I know Swann actually contributed, but the rings are always what people point to for justification
Is that comparison silly?

[Image: night-at-the-roxbury-no.gif]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2023, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course I hope Kenny makes it but I gotta admit i loved me some Lester Hayes back in the day

[Image: 61559pwjroi11.jpg]

Get some more stick'em Lester lol

And yeah, hope Kenny makes it soon, he deserves it big time.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 06:28 PM)pally Wrote: The selections will be announced at 11AM on Wed
Change that announcement to 1PM today

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Gradishar was a 2xAll Pro and a 7 time Pro Bowler. 1978 AP DPOY. Aworthy pick. Warren, OH guy.

Powell & McMichael are dicier compared to Kenny:

McMichael: DT/NT: 2x All-Pro, 2x Pro Bowl, 1x SB Champ
Powell: SE/WR/DB: 2X All Pro, 4x Pro Bowl
Kenny: QB: 1x All Pro, 4x Pro-Bowl, 1x NFL MVP.
Reply/Quote
Quelle suprise. Those ***** will probably get around to doing it only after it's too late for Kenny to personally enjoy it.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I’ve always thought if Fouts is in the HOF, Kenny should be, too.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 05:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I’ve always thought if Fouts is in the HOF, Kenny should be, too.

Absolutely
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote