Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khalid Kareem
Speaking of our defensive line is anyone else excited about the potential of this guy? I was watching some highlights, this man is a beast.

https://youtu.be/ay_uo89UtoA
Reply/Quote
Meh. Probably the pick I am least excited about from this draft.

Hopefully he can be a solid rotational guy, but I’m not expecting a whole lot. People saying he can be our new Michael Johnson are probably being a bit too optimistic, imo.

I remember seeing some Notre Dame fans pretty uninspired by the pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 11:50 AM)Trademark Wrote: Speaking of our defensive line is anyone else excited about the potential of this guy? I was watching some highlights, this man is a beast.

https://youtu.be/ay_uo89UtoA

I'm always excited to see what the new guys bring. Hopefully this guy will be a walking highlight reel. Probably not, but here's to hope.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 12:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Meh. Probably the pick I am least excited about from this draft.

Hopefully he can be a solid rotational guy, but I’m not expecting a whole lot. People saying he can be our new Michael Johnson are probably being a bit too optimistic, imo.

He has been the most polarizing pick by far.

I think if the farthest he develops is as a poor-man's MJ (which from all tape and paper accounts, he indeed seems to be like that), we can be happy with that; 5 years or so as a solid rotational piece, 2-3 sacks a year and solid run D, I'd be happy with that.

Anything more is gravy.

He's definitely not a BAD player (especially with his leadership and other intangibles, apparently), but is he good-enough to stick on an NFL roster, with his ability?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He could find a niche.

Not much pass rush skills, but very good against the run as a 4-3 DE. Could earn a roster spot if he can slide down inside and take some snaps at DT in a nickel package.

Or maybe just learn some better pass rush techniques. But he apparently does not possess that explosive quality that makes a great pass rush DE.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He could find a niche.

Not much pass rush skills, but very good against the run as a 4-3 DE. Could earn a roster spot if he can slide down inside and take some snaps at DT in a nickel package.

Or maybe just learn some better pass rush techniques. But he apparently does not possess that explosive quality that makes a great pass rush DE.

Hence my description; you put it perfectly with this post.

I envision Kareem as a Ramondo Stallings-type guy; anyone remember him?

Not as a big a guy, but someone who played a dozen or so games, got a sack or two and was good against the run, in rotation.

That would be ideal.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StalRa20.htm
Reply/Quote
Maybe more like the next Gilberry than MJ.
Reply/Quote
Guy sounds like he has a good work ethic and is a great teammate. That can go a long way in this league.

The key for this dude is to work his way into a special teams role and go from there. Put in the work, and just find a roster spot for a couple of years. From there, anything can happen.

One thing that I have to remind myself of from time to time, is that all of these guys are elite level athletes. The very best of the best. And this goes for all sports. While we might think Player A is 10x more capable than player B, the reality is they're all ridiculously good. Sometimes all that seperates them is a proper chance.

If this kid is billed as advertised, barring an injury, there is no reason to think that he can't find a significant role on this roster.
Reply/Quote
Khalid Kareem is very similar to Sam Hubbard in terms of the type of player he can be in the NFL. He needs to work on his hand counters like Hubbard did at Ohio State. I don't believe Kareem is the type of edge defender you can build your defense around I think he can handle a series or 2 a game to give Dunlap and Hubbard a rest.

With the defensive line aging I can see thr Bengals going after an edge defender they can build their defense of the future around.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 12:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Meh. Probably the pick I am least excited about from this draft.

From watching his highlight video, the things that stick out to me are his ability to slip off of blocks in the trenches, and that he takes really smart angles.  He's not fast, but plays smart and stays with a play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 01:27 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Maybe more like the next Gilberry than MJ.

Dingleberry was a better pass rusher than MJ, thus I don't think Kareem fits that mould, personally.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He could find a niche.

Not much pass rush skills, but very good against the run as a 4-3 DE.  Could earn a roster spot if he can slide down inside and take some snaps at DT in a nickel package.

Or maybe just learn some better pass rush techniques.  But he apparently does not possess that explosive quality that makes a great pass rush DE.

This.  Setting the edge against the run and being able to get off blocks and make the play at the LOS is something we needed improvement on.  Stopping the run is a huge priority.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Dingleberry was a better pass rusher than MJ, thus I don't think Kareem fits that mould, personally.

I was thinking more size and role. Gilberry and Kareem same weight and will be backup DE.
Reply/Quote
I have said it before and I will say it again. As a ND season ticket holder I have watched him play a lot. Do not go by his highlight reel. The guys looks like a unstoppable force for 2-3 plays a game and the rest may as well not be on the field. It is like he is on vacation or something. If he can go non stop every play he could be really good but if he plays like college forget about it. I have never seen a guy play with such a high motor on a play then play like he doesn't want to be out there like Kareem.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 03:24 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I have said it before and I will say it again. As a ND season ticket holder I have watched him play a lot. Do not go by his highlight reel. The guys looks like a unstoppable force for 2-3 plays a game and the rest may as well not be on the field. It is like he is on vacation or something. If he can go non stop every play he could be really good but if he plays like college forget about it. I have never seen a guy play with such a high motor on a play then play like he doesn't want to be out there like Kareem.

Sounds like Kelly could stand to be a bit more strict on his players; if everything about Zac and accountability is as advertised, Kareem will bring that motor every play while on the field.

Also, from interviews and the like, I don't know how he can be a guy who takes plays off.
Reply/Quote
I'd be very happy if he just makes it to the solid back up level.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 03:24 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I have said it before and I will say it again. As a ND season ticket holder I have watched him play a lot. Do not go by his highlight reel. The guys looks like a unstoppable force for 2-3 plays a game and the rest may as well not be on the field. It is like he is on vacation or something. If he can go non stop every play he could be really good but if he plays like college forget about it. I have never seen a guy play with such a high motor on a play then play like he doesn't want to be out there like Kareem.

That was kind of the knock on Dunlap coming out of college, and he turned it around to become (soon) all time Bengal sac leader
Reply/Quote

I'm not saying this to disagree with you, as you're definitely a more knowledable ND fan than I am.  But if it's an effort issue, or if he takes plays off, it seems odd to me that he was named a Captain.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 05:20 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not saying this to disagree with you, as you're definitely a more knowledable ND fan than I am.  But if it's an effort issue, or if he takes plays off, it seems odd to me that he was named a Captain.

Funny you say this Wes. My line of screaming at every game was "your a damn captain!!!!!" Kareem has the ability as he could be very dominate. It is just going to be up to him. Has to go full every play. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2020, 06:04 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Funny you say this Wes. My line of screaming at every game was "your a damn captain!!!!!" Kareem has the ability as he could be very dominate. It is just going to be up to him. Has to go full every play. 

Sounds like the opposite of Sam Hubbard.

Reply/Quote