Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killer Instinct
One thing I'd like to see when we blow out a team is to keep the pressure on them. I know Marvin has respect for Fisher and probably didn't want to embarrass him, and that may have been the reason we let up....

But, I'd like to see them have no mercy on an opponent in a blowout if the chance happens again. Come playoff time, they need that killer instinct. We can score quick, but we're going to have to keep the pressure on whoever it is we face to keep up.

I think it's key to the persona New England built. Cold, and mercifulness.... Just what you need to be come January.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 08:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: One thing I'd like to see when we blow out a team is to keep the pressure on them. I know Marvin has respect for Fisher and probably didn't want to embarrass him, and that may have been the reason we let up....

But, I'd like to see them have no mercy on an opponent in a blowout if the chance happens again. Come playoff time, they need that killer instinct. We can score quick, but we're going to have to keep the pressure on whoever it is we face to keep up.

I think it's key to the persona New England built. Cold, and mercifulness.... Just what you need to be come January.

I would like to see this at some point but not against the Rams in that particular situation.

Eifert and Hill were dinged up and no need to injure any more guys when the game was in the bag.

Plus i thought it was nice to get McCarron his first pass completion in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
We used to be like that who remembers Sam and the onside kick?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/7/4/8892369/bengals-moments-beating-the-oilers-61-7
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 08:57 PM)jj22 Wrote: One thing I'd like to see when we blow out a team is to keep the pressure on them. I know Marvin has respect for Fisher and probably didn't want to embarrass him, and that may have been the reason we let up....

This goes counter to what the usual suspects were complaining about (eerrr I mean showing caution about) during the gameday thread. They were concerned that we kept our starters in too long; they wanted us to throw in the towel before we actually did. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

What was the final score ??  The Rams did not score in the 4th,, we were up 31-7.. i would say we killed them....  here is where I believe you are wrong.. if you are up 24 points in 4th quarter.. he have killed them.... what you don;t want to do is make mistakes to give them any thread of hope.. so up 24 points,, I run the ball.. pass safe, play bend don;t break defense, run some clock where at the most the opponent may get 3 chances to score in the 4th quarter..... 

Killer instinct to me is you are up 10 to 14 points in the 4th quarter,, you still put on the gas and play aggressive... and get up by 24 then you do what we did on Sunday....
Reply/Quote
I don't really see the point of running up the score on another team. You don't get brownie points like in college football.

Pull the starters and get ready for next week.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 10:22 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I don't really see the point of running up the score on another team.  You don't get brownie points like in college football.

I think its acceptable against division rivals. Anything to deflate their ego and make them play worse in the future.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 10:37 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think its acceptable against division rivals. Anything to deflate their ego and make them play worse in the future.

not to the risk of injury.. we can see how injuries are as big of a factor in winning and losing game to game in the NFL... i don;t care who we are playing.. big lead you take out any player banged up and you start taking out your starters for plays and entire series and for the game as you progress into the 4th quarter.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 09:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: We used to be like that who remembers Sam and the onside kick?

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/7/4/8892369/bengals-moments-beating-the-oilers-61-7

Uncle Sam never let up on the accelerator. I recall running up the score on the Oilers and Steelers a few times where the scores were absurd.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 10:13 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What was the final score ??  The Rams did not score in the 4th,, we were up 31-7.. i would say we killed them....  here is where I believe you are wrong.. if you are up 24 points in 4th quarter.. he have killed them.... what you don;t want to do is make mistakes to give them any thread of hope.. so up 24 points,, I run the ball.. pass safe, play bend don;t break defense, run some clock where at the most the opponent may get 3 chances to score in the 4th quarter..... 

Killer instinct to me is you are up 10 to 14 points in the 4th quarter,, you still put on the gas and play aggressive... and get up by 24 then you do what we did on Sunday....

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 09:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: We used to be like that who remembers Sam and the onside kick?

I do.....but that had more to do with Sam's disdain for Glanville.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I would like to see this team maintain it's aggressiveness in prime-time games. For whatever reason, they seem to deflate and/or seem baffled in a lot of those games.
Reply/Quote
If I remember correctly Sam ran the score up on The Oilers because he said he was trying to brake their confidence. The next week they needed to lose for the Bengals to get into the playoffs. The next week they won and we got knocked out. Sam was a nut but was unbelievably innovative. I don't think he gets enough credit for the way he changed the game. Many have taken credit for his ideas. And the Cleveland statement was priceless.

As far as beating down another team the Bengals didn't actually do it to the Rams but putting your backup QB and others in is a big statement in the NFL. That doesn't happen very often in the NFL. Your saying we just smoked you and we think you've had enough. There was no need to leave the starters in but I still think its a statement.
Reply/Quote
Killer Instinct... Such a good game.

[Image: a773ca8ee36cfaf2b56deb62c97e3fb3.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think it does something to the mental makeup of the team when you don't let up. Sure you risk injury, but I believe there is something to it. Someone mentioned prevent defense (gulp). We've seen our prevent defense, maybe we should scrap it from the playbook. It leads to no pressure, wide open receivers, and easy scores that take about 2 minutes off the clock (see our 2 minute defense struggles at the end of half's). Letting up can't be an option come January, it's good to just get used to it from here on out. Keep the pressure on teams.

The last thing we need is to go into the 4th quarter of a playoff game with a lead and go run, run, pass, punt the rest of the way. While playing prevent defense. Championship teams will take advantage of such "safe" play, and make us pay.

Reply/Quote
As you get deeper into the season (like now), I think you pull the starters when the game is under control. Everyone right now probably has a few bumps and bruises so the more rest they can get the better. If I am up 31-7 in the 4th again, I pull every starter out and give the rookies some quality playing time. I may keep a starting safety or corner in and rotate them considering the other team will probably be throwing all the time and I wouldn't want to give up a big play.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2015, 10:22 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I don't really see the point of running up the score on another team.  You don't get brownie points like in college football.

Pretty much.

If you're up by three TDs with only a quarter to go, let off the throttle and save some gas for the rest of the season.

The Pats keep pushing because — at this point — it's about records. The coach and QB are already cemented as a dynasty, they're just adding to those stats. Not that they don't want another ring, but Belichik is at the bottom of the top 10 all time wins for coaches. Brady is up there in team wins, winning percentage, passing TDs, etc.
Reply/Quote
We want the record the Pats have. Our QB, our Coach, and our FO. The blueprint, beat opponents to smithereens isn't a bad way to go about getting it. In fact, it could be argued that opponents of the Pats are defeated before they even step on the field by their reputation. The take no prisoners have no mercy mindset of the QB and Coach is a big reason why.

Reply/Quote
Explain to me what killer instinct is needed when you are up 31-7. It was 17-7 at half. We went up 31-7. Scoring twice in the 2nd half to take a 24 point lead isn't burying an opponent?

I would rather see some of the backups get game experience in the 4th quarter. Lord knows if anyone goes down, it would be much better to see a guy like Paul Dawson come in after having been in some games.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: We want the record the Pats have. Our QB, our Coach, and our FO. The blueprint, beat opponents to smithereens isn't a bad way to go about getting it. In fact, it could be argued that opponents of the Pats are defeated before they even step on the field by their reputation. The take no prisoners have no mercy mindset of the QB and Coach is a big reason why.

Not buying this at all.  When the Patriots have played better teams this year, how close have the games been?

Pittsburgh 28-21
Denver 30-24
Colts 34-27
Giants 27-26
Jets 30-23
Bills 20-13

Sure, they pounded the Cowboys and the Jags, but you make it sound like they have routed every team that they have played, but in reality SEVEN of their games have been decided by 1 score.
Reply/Quote