Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kimmel insults Gingrich
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/05/09/kimmel-slams-newt-gingrich-theres-reason-hes-named-after-lizard/101458692/

Quote:Returning to the helm of his late-night show after taking time off to be with his newborn son, Jimmy Kimmel spoke about the viral speech he made a week ago that has racked up more than 10,000,000 views on YouTube.

The late night host explained to his audience last Monday that his son with his wife, Molly McNearney, who pens punchlines for his show, had open-heart surgery after being diagnosed with a congenital heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot with pulmonary atresia. At the time, Kimmel made a plea to maintain health insurance coverage for people with pre-existing conditions.

"If your baby is going to die and it doesn't have to, it shouldn't matter how much money you make," he said last week. "I think that's something, whether you're a Republican or a Democrat or something else, we all agree on that."

Last night, Kimmel thanked viewers for their donations and messages of support. He said the influx of "so much kindness (and) so much compassion" was difficult to process but acknowledged "there were also some not-so-nice things that people said online about me, including members of the media.”

He shared some examples with his audience. One biting headline read, "Jimmy Kimmel’s obscene lies about kids and medical care." Another: "Shut up, Jimmy Kimmel, you elitist creep."

Matt Damon's faux nemesis was able to make a joke out of the latter.

“I cannot count the number of times I’ve been called an ‘out of touch Hollywood elitist creep’ this week, which I have to say I kind of appreciate," Kimmel cracked, "because when I was a kid, we had to drink the powdered milk because we couldn’t afford the liquid. Our orange juice came frozen out of a can. It would squeeze out.”

To his opposers, he offered a sarcastic mea culpa.

"I would like to apologize for saying that children in America should have health care," he stated. "It was insensitive. It was offensive, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me.

"There are some very sick and sad people out there," Kimmel continued before calling out Newt Gingrich specifically. In a clip Kimmel showed, the former speaker of the house said, "If you show up at a hospital with a brand new baby and the brand new baby has a heart problem, the doctors at that hospital will do everything they can to save the baby. They don't say, 'We'll take care of the baby right after you write a check.' They try to save the baby's life, and that's true across the board in this country."

Kimmel said his statement was circumstantially factual.

"Yes, it is true that if you have an emergency, they will do an operation," he said. "And that’s terrific if your baby’s health problems are all solved during that one visit. The only problem is that never, ever happens. We’ve had a dozen doctors appointments since our son had surgery. You’ve got a cardiologist, the pediatrician, surgeon, some kids need an ambulance to transport them. That doesn’t even count the parents who have to miss work for all this stuff. Those details, Newt forgot to mention. I don’t know if the double layers of Spanx are restricting the blood flow to his brain.”

The show host also addressed Gingrich's opinion that late night comedians “ain't funny ‘cause they’re too angry (at President Trump) to be funny.”

“Gee, I wonder why we’re so angry," Kimmel began. "Maybe it has something to do with, I don’t know, you? Listen, Newt Gingrich does know a lot about comedy. This is the guy who helped lead the impeachment effort against Bill Clinton for trying to cover his up his affair while he was having an affair. That’s hilarious. Come on. Whatever you want to say about him. Thank you, Newt. There’s a reason he’s named after a lizard, and that was it.”

I don't know of any men who wear Spanx so I'm assuming this is an attempt to insult Newt by comparing him to a woman!!11!!!1!!!!

My complaint at my outrage will be forthcoming!

Plus that was very cruel to lizards.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
"Thank you, Newt. There’s a reason he’s named after a lizard, and that was it.”

What a dumbass.

A newt is not a lizard.

And Kimmal is obviously anti-transgender because he thought it was an insult to claim Newt wore womens clothing.
(05-09-2017, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Thank you, Newt. There’s a reason he’s named after a lizard, and that was it.”

What a dumbass.

A newt is not a lizard.

And Kimmal is obviously anti-transgender because he thought it was an insult to claim Newt wore womens clothing.

Kimmel's intent was to insult and the joke was herpetophobic, but not insulting.
(05-09-2017, 02:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/05/09/kimmel-slams-newt-gingrich-theres-reason-hes-named-after-lizard/101458692/

I don't know of any men who wear Spanx so I'm assuming this is an attempt to insult Newt by comparing him to a woman!!11!!!1!!!!

My complaint at my outrage will be forthcoming!

Plus that was very cruel to lizards.  

(05-09-2017, 05:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Thank you, Newt. There’s a reason he’s named after a lizard, and that was it.”

What a dumbass.

A newt is not a lizard.

(05-09-2017, 06:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Kimmel's intent was to insult and the joke was herpetophobic, but not insulting.

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ummm...total burn?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Here's another example of Kimmel just making a "joke" and not insulting:

Got's to love that kooky sense of humor from the left. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-11-2018, 11:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's another example of Kimmel just making a "joke" and not insulting:

Got's to love that kooky sense of humor from the left. 

Kimmel is a d-bag, but I've been told many times that the 2016 election was all about sending the message that people are sick of not being allowed to be giant d-bags, so this is what we wanted I guess.  
Drumph nut hugger Hannity came to Melania's defense and also said she can speak five languages. Its true. When she was modeling, she was able to say "Is it time to take my cloths off yet" in five different languages. Drumph got a good deal when he bought her.
Anyone want to talk about any other twitter feud that's was started and over in two days?  Cool

(04-11-2018, 11:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's another example of Kimmel just making a "joke" and not insulting:

Knowing that she speaks five languages makes it a joke.  Clearly English is her last language.  Luckily there are people out there ready to defend a woman's honor...

https://www.inquisitr.com/4861065/before-deciding-melania-trump-is-off-limits-sean-hannity-frequently-criticized-michelle-obama-and-her-kids/

Quote:Since the early days of Barack Obama’s 2008 campaign for president, Sean Hannity took aim not only at Barack but several times at Michelle and even their children, criticizing her on everything from her healthy eating initiatives, her choice of clothing, and even her eating habits. Media Matters compiled a list of 40 different times that conservative hosts attacked Michelle Obama, and Hannity has several entries on the list.

Hannity’s past criticism of Michelle Obama has come into the spotlight amid his feud with Jimmy Kimmel. Hannity took issue with a joke Kimmel made on his show last week mocking Melania’s thick Eastern European accent, and he demanded that Kimmel apologize. In their back-and-forth on Twitter, Hannity told Kimmel that Donald Trump’s wife and children should be off-limits to criticism.

But as many quickly pointed out, Sean Hannity never expressed that kind of restraint with Barack Obama’s family. The conservative talk show host frequently took aim at the First Lady, starting with the 2008 campaign. As Media Matters noted, Hannity attacked Michelle Obama’s “tone” during campaign speeches, calling her “bitter and angry.”

As Media Matters noted, Hannity also criticized Michelle Obama’s “designer clothes” that she wore to public appearances. He has made no such comment in regard to Melania Trump, who is known for wearing expensive designer clothing in her appearances.

Sean Hannity has also been critical of Barack and Michelle Obama’s young daughters. As Media Matters recalled, he bashed Obama’s daughters for jetting off to a vacation with the family. When a guest pushed back and said that Obama’s daughters should be off-limits, Hannity argued that it was fair game considering the state of the U.S. economy. Hannity has also not commented on Donald Trump’s near-weekly trips to his luxury Mar-a-Lago resort.

Sean Hannity has offered justification for attacking Michelle Obama. On the April 4 episode of his show, Hannity said Michelle Obama opened herself up for criticism for what he said was “interjecting herself into politics.”

“Well, Michelle Obama, when she said ‘For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country,’ she interjected herself into politics, and that statement was outrageous,” Hannity said.

Though Melania Trump mostly stays out of the spotlight, she has at times followed her husband’s lead and interjected herself into politics. In 2011, she vocally supported Donald Trump’s false claims that Barack Obama was not born in the United States, even after Obama released his birth certificate.

“It’s not only Donald who wants to see [Obama’s birth certificate], it’s American people who voted for him and who didn’t vote for him. They want to see that,” Melania Trump said in an appearance on The View (via Daily Kos).

After being told that Barack Obama had already released his birth certificate, Melania doubled down on her claims.

“We feel it’s different than birth certificate,” Melania said.

...by simply attacking them rather than making a passing joke that everyone with a sense of humor understood.  Smirk

And no, that is now "whataboutism".  One is a joke made by a comedian on a comedy show; the other is political commentary made on a political show by a political commentator....who then moaned and cried because the lady HE likes had a joke made about her.  But if what Hannity said is fair then no one should complain if someone attacks Melania for her "tone" or choice of clothing either.  Fair?

(04-11-2018, 11:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Got's to love that kooky sense of humor from the left. 

Yep..."sense of humor".

[Image: 30124351_10215854831067737_8675942634952...e=5B7226D6]
(04-12-2018, 07:05 AM)GMDino Wrote: Anyone want to talk about any other twitter feud that's was started and over in two days?  Cool

Knowing that she speaks five languages makes it a joke.  Clearly English is her last language.  Luckily there are people out there ready to defend a woman's honor...

https://www.inquisitr.com/4861065/before-deciding-melania-trump-is-off-limits-sean-hannity-frequently-criticized-michelle-obama-and-her-kids/

...by simply attacking them rather than making a passing joke that everyone with a sense of humor understood.  Smirk

And no, that is now "whataboutism".  One is a joke made by a comedian on a comedy show; the other is political commentary made on a political show by a political commentator....who then moaned and cried because the lady HE likes had a joke made about her.  But if what Hannity said is fair then no one should complain if someone attacks Melania for her "tone" or choice of clothing either.  Fair?

Yep..."sense of humor".

[Image: 30124351_10215854831067737_8675942634952...e=5B7226D6]
Oh now he’s a comedian. Wasn’t too long ago he was credited with saving the ACA . I’m always impressed with people who are fluent in more than one language. I’ll see a person in the grocery speaking Spanish and then switch right into English without a thought and it amazes me every time. What I would never do is make fun of their accent and pronunciation because they are miles beyond my ability.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-12-2018, 09:10 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh now he’s a comedian. Wasn’t too long ago he was credited with saving the ACA .  I’m always impressed with people who are fluent in more than one language.  I’ll see a person in the grocery speaking Spanish and then switch right into English without a thought and it amazes me every time. What I would never do is make fun of their accent and pronunciation because they are miles beyond my ability.

Buzzzz.  Wrong answer.

His show is a comedy show.  He is a comedian.  He makes comments on pop culture and jokes.

He was not "credited with saving the ACA" (that's that hyperbole so many hate around here) he spoke honestly about a personal situation in regards to his son's birth.  "Personal".  (He also makes fun of himself and his personal life.)

Kimmel made the joke in reference to someone else on the show.

Hannity went after the FLOTUS "tone" and clothing...but never made a joke.  He was mad.

I guess people just don't understand the difference.  I know many never did, but it still amazes me.
(04-12-2018, 09:22 AM)GMDino Wrote: Buzzzz.  Wrong answer.

His show is a comedy show.  He is a comedian.  He makes comments on pop culture and jokes.

He was not "credited with saving the ACA" (that's that hyperbole so many hate around here) he spoke honestly about a personal situation in regards to his son's birth.  "Personal".  (He also makes fun of himself and his personal life.)

Kimmel made the joke in reference to someone else on the show.

Hannity went after the FLOTUS "tone" and clothing...but never made a joke.  He was mad.

I guess people just don't understand the difference.  I know many never did, but it still amazes me.

I have no idea what Hannity has to do with anything, but making fun of someone who is more advanced than you in an area is awfully stupid.  

(04-12-2018, 09:31 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have no idea what Hannity has to do with anything, but making fun of someone who is more advanced than you in an area is awfully stupid.  

No, it's a joke.  

But again not everyone has the same sense of humor.  Heck, some don't even know the difference between a joke and political commentary.  

It's a big world.  Smirk
(04-12-2018, 09:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: No, it's a joke.  

But again not everyone has the same sense of humor.  Heck, some don't even know the difference between a joke and political commentary.  

It's a big world.  Smirk

You just created a perfect strawman. (It's a term thrown around to often, but it fits here).  You brought Hannity into it, and then said people don't know the difference between commentary and a joke.  

(04-12-2018, 09:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You just created a perfect strawman. (It's a term thrown around to often, but it fits here).  You brought Hannity into it, and then said people don't know the difference between commentary and a joke.  

Okay, stick with me here:

When the guy who brought up this week old story posted it I assumed he (and everyone who cared) was aware of the spat with Hannity because Hannity started this mess by attacking Kimmel for making a joke about Mrs. Trump the 3rd...while ignoring his own comments about the former FLOTUS.

So by using Hannity (part of the story all weekend) as a counter-example of what a joke is I didn't create a "strawman" I used BOTH actors in the play to the forefront rather than just one.

So *IF* the guy who brought up a story that was already old news and that both sides had stopped talking about (Hannity and Kimmel) did NOT know about the whole story then at LEAST people reading about it now do.

Smirk
(04-12-2018, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: Okay, stick with me here:

When the guy who brought up this week old story posted it I assumed he (and everyone who cared) was aware of the spat with Hannity because Hannity started this mess by attacking Kimmel for making a joke about Mrs. Trump the 3rd...while ignoring his own comments about the former FLOTUS.

So by using Hannity (part of the story all weekend) as a counter-example of what a joke is I didn't create a "strawman" I used BOTH actors in the play to the forefront rather than just one.

So *IF* the guy who brought up a story that was already old news and that both sides had stopped talking about (Hannity and Kimmel) did NOT know about the whole story then at LEAST people reading about it now do.

Smirk

Because none of that has anything to do with the joke he made.  It stands alone.  

(04-12-2018, 10:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Because none of that has anything to do with the joke he made.  It stands alone.  

As a pretty funny joke?  Yep.

But I went on to the context of the discussion that was on line and around the country...not just one guy getting his panty in a bunch of a joke.  That some people didn't think was funny.

Carry on.
(04-12-2018, 10:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Because none of that has anything to do with the joke he made.  It stands alone.  

The dispute between the two is big news.  Don't know why you are so determined to ignore Hannity's comments.

Oh wait, nevermind.  I know exactly why you are fighting so hard to keep Hannity's comments out of this discussion.  You are the guy who spends all your time researching Fox News so that you know everything about the show without ever watching it.

Smirk
He made fun of her accent and did it in a demeaning way. I understand he is a comedian but sometimes you don't get a pass. Since he apologized he must of got some advice that it was in bad taste and not funny. All Hannity did was call him out on it.
(04-12-2018, 01:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He made fun of her accent and did it in a demeaning way.  I understand he is a comedian but sometimes you don't get a pass.  Since he apologized he must of got some advice that it was in bad taste and not funny.  All Hannity did was call him out on it.

He told a member of his cast/crew that since he speaks broken English HE might get to be FLOTUS someday.

I thought the "Age of Trump" meant that the right was going to celebrate the "non-pc" things and stop being offended by everything?

I guess not when a comedian makes a joke and mentions the FLOTUS?

Cool