Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kiper Answers fan's questions
His take on overall strength by position groups;

What are the strengths and weaknesses of this draft? (via @conmann88)
The position groups of strength are at wide receiver, offensive line and cornerback. There could be three receivers in the top 10 picks, and it's deep throughout. There will be Day 2 picks who make an impact as rookies. As far as offensive line, this is one of the best classes for tackles in the last decade. There could be four or five picked in Round 1. It's a talented and loaded crop of corners, too -- I expect a bunch of starters to go in the second round.

Interesting he left off QB's though 4 or 5 predicted to go in top 15 picks. We need OL and hopefully we make great decision on OT in round one or 2.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30984951/nfl-draft-2021-mailbag-mel-kiper-answers-15-questions-quarterback-prospects-teams-picks

May have to be a ESPN+ subscriber to see his full article.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 07:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: His take on overall strength by position groups;

The position groups of strength are at wide receiver, offensive line and cornerback. There could be three receivers in the top 10 picks, and it's deep throughout. There will be Day 2 picks who make an impact as rookies. As far as offensive line, this is one of the best classes for tackles in the last decade. There could be four or five picked in Round 1. It's a talented and loaded crop of corners, too -- I expect a bunch of starters to go in the second round.

Interesting he left off QB's though 4 or 5 predicted to go in top 15 picks. We need OL and hopefully we make great decision on OT in round one or 2.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/30984951/nfl-draft-2021-mailbag-mel-kiper-answers-15-questions-quarterback-prospects-teams-picks

There are teams that need QB's so that plays in our favor. Possibly a stellar draft for the Bengals if they do it right. IF THEY DO IT RIGHT!

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 08:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: There are teams that need QB's so that plays in our favor. Possibly a stellar draft for the Bengals if they do it right. IF THEY DO IT RIGHT!

It not as easy like on a mock simulator to trade back but Sewell would be the only player I would not pass on at #5, if he is gone.. with the holes we will have even after FA.. trading back in 1st and still getting a solid player by the run on QBs that pushes those players back and getting extra picks sure looks like the way to go..
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 10:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It not as easy like on a mock simulator to trade back but Sewell would be the only player I would not pass on at #5, if he is gone.. with the holes we will have even after FA.. trading back in 1st and still getting a solid player by the run on QBs that pushes those players back and getting extra picks sure looks like the way to go..

The more I look at availability and strength, I hope we add a top OT via free agency. If we do, I hope we draft Pitts. He is a unique talent along the line of Kelsey and we see what he does for Mahommes and KC.

But, the key is we have to grab a top 10 OT in free agency. Then it opens up the draft for us.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I'd just like to point out I said back around Halloween this was going to be a really good tackle class that offered 1 starting options on day 2 of the draft. Suck it Kiper!
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 07:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: His take on overall strength by position groups;

I agree with Kiper.
Rds 2 and 3 also look like prime rounds for OG and DL.
If the Bengals don't re-sign WJ3, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bengals get (at least) one OL, DL, and CB within the first two days of the draft.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It all depends completely on what we do in FA. A great free-agent OL would open up the draft for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 02:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd just like to point out I said back around Halloween this was going to be a really good tackle class that offered 1 starting options on day 2 of the draft. Suck it Kiper!

You always da man AU165!!   Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 11:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The more I look at availability and strength, I hope we add a top OT via free agency. If we do, I hope we draft Pitts. He is a unique talent along the line of Kelsey and we see what he does for Mahommes and KC.

But, the key is we have to grab a top 10 OT in free agency. Then it opens up the draft for us.

Would we be better off drafting one of the top OTs in the draft and saving money or pay a premium for one of the better FA OTs this year? With the cap being lower this year, that's gonna be a tough call in my opinion. 
I honestly couldn't tell you, who I like in RD 1..
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2021, 11:18 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The more I look at availability and strength, I hope we add a top OT via free agency. If we do, I hope we draft Pitts. He is a unique talent along the line of Kelsey and we see what he does for Mahommes and KC.

I've been moving that way too. As much as i wanted Sewell early...if the Bengals can get a good RT in FA, they can look for a G in rd2 and i'm going away from Chase to Pitts at #5 lately. It's just too enticing to have Boyd, Higgins, Mixon and Pitts on the field at the same time. Getting a good starting G in FA would be icing on the cake and allow them to go somewhere else in rd2 of the draft. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 12:52 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I've been moving that way too. As much as i wanted Sewell early...if the Bengals can get a good RT in FA, they can look for a G in rd2 and i'm going away from Chase to Pitts at #5 lately. It's just too enticing to have Boyd, Higgins, Mixon and Pitts on the field at the same time. Getting a good starting G in FA would be icing on the cake and allow them to go somewhere else in rd2 of the draft. 
I agree, if we could get a solid RT and solid guard in FA, Pitts could be a great pick.

Reply/Quote
Who is the top tackle we are going to sign in FA? I don't really see one.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Who is the top tackle we are going to sign in FA?  I don't really see one.

Right now, it's looks to be down to Daryl Williams and Matt Feiler.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

The problem is there just a couple available tackles in top 10.. Trent Williams is at top of list.. after that you have Daryl Williams and Villanueva (who I like) but would be outside a top 10 tackle... 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 06:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Right now, it's looks to be down to Daryl Williams and Matt Feiler
My initial thought is to sign the guy with more flexibility to play Guard between the two, which I think is Feiler? I don't know much about Williams other than last year was his best year. 
Sign one of those two and sign another solid guard in free agency. It wouldn't close the door on picking Sewell or different tackle in the first 3 rounds that could eventually/instantly start at tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Who is the top tackle we are going to sign in FA?  I don't really see one.

I think the other way to go is shore up the interior OL in FA.

Thuney and Linsley would be a huge upgrade.

Then, we would have the flexibility to grab Sewell if he is still available or Pitts or could trade back and grab more picks.

I know many hate Hart, but our issues start in the interior of the OL, we have a decent center and 2 bad guards.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the other way to go is shore up the interior OL in FA.

Thuney and Linsley would be a huge upgrade.

Then, we would have the flexibility to grab Sewell if he is still available or Pitts or could trade back and grab more picks.

I know many hate Hart, but our issues start in the interior of the OL, we have a decent center and 2 bad guards.

I tend to agree go Guard first.. but I will also put this out there.. go guard and a center in FA.. go tackle in 1st round of draft.. move Hart to compete for 2nd guard position and be a veteran swing player if he does not earn starting job
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:19 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: My initial thought is to sign the guy with more flexibility to play Guard between the two, which I think is Feiler? I don't know much about Williams other than last year was his best year. 
Sign one of those two and sign another solid guard in free agency. It wouldn't close the door on picking Sewell or different tackle in the first 3 rounds that could eventually/instantly start at tackle.

Yeah, Feiler has played a good amount of both G and T. 

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 03:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, Feiler has played a good amount of both G and T. 

from what i have read off some steeler sites.. he much more a guard than a tackle.. so i don;t see him as a great fit at tackle but guard yes and will probably come at a nice price tag.. so would not be a bad pickup.. just not as established as other FAs so worry a bit about if he was helped more by what was around him... im ok if we are in  that 8  million range.. anything above 10 m  im not sure about...
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 04:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: from what i have read off some steeler sites.. he much more a guard than a tackle.. so i don;t see him as a great fit at tackle but guard yes and will probably come at a nice price tag.. so would not be a bad pickup.. just not as established as other FAs so worry a bit about if he was helped more by what was around him... im ok if we are in  that 8  million range.. anything above 10 m  im not sure about...

Matt Feiler had his best year in 2019 at Right Tackle for the Steelers. Most Steelers fans want to resign Feiler and move him back to Right Tackle and keep Kevin Dotsonat Left Guard who had a solid year as a rookie in 2020 for the Steelers.

Here is a fan poll on the subject.
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/1/9/22221695/if-matt-feiler-returns-for-sundays-game-how-do-the-steelers-handle-the-offensive-line-kevin-dotson

That said the Steelers run a power gap scheme so if the Bengals do switch to a Wide Zone then Matt Feiler would probably fit better at Left Guard over Right Tackle because the wide zone requires more athleticism. He may actually not fit well at all. If the Bengals continie with the inside zone we seen in 2020 he could peobably play either Right Tackle or Left Guard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote