Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LIGO announcement
Let's just put this up here for the big announcement, tomorrow.
I guarantee it will have political and religious implications.
ThumbsUp

A little preparation. ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2016/02/09/what-will-it-mean-if-ligo-detects-gravitational-waves/#20b46ab8472
Confirmed, baby !

I'll add some links, later.
It's funny they refer to it as a microphone that picks up what the universe is telling us and for some reason I thought of this...

[Image: zmal8z.jpg]
(02-11-2016, 01:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: It's funny they refer to it as a microphone that picks up what the universe is telling us and for some reason I thought of this...

[Image: zmal8z.jpg]

Being an old soundboard operator, I about pissed myself when I seen that episode. 

Today's news is going to change a lot of things, I feel.
I'm pretty stoked.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12152347/Watch-live-Scientists-expected-to-announce-existence-of-Einsteins-gravitational-waves.html

I get what they discovered, but will forever be lost as to the science behind measuring and interpreting. they get some sort of gravitational info, and conclude that? For me it will be like watching a magic trick I will never figure out.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-11-2016, 03:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I get what they discovered, but will forever be lost as to the science behind measuring and interpreting.  they get some sort of gravitational info, and conclude that?  For me it will be like watching a magic trick I will never figure out.
I guess for starters.. .
We we will be able to see things in the universe, that we have never been able to before. 
Similar facilities will be coming online over the next several years, making the technology exponentially more accurate. 

As far as the actual measuring system, it is a series of lasers that are sealed and cannot be disturbed by anything other than something like gravitational waves.
As far as I understand it.
Beaker may know more about it.
Hopefully he stops in this thread.
(02-11-2016, 01:55 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12152347/Watch-live-Scientists-expected-to-announce-existence-of-Einsteins-gravitational-waves.html

What does the National Science Foundation have to do with a giant picture of a dog's nose?
(02-12-2016, 11:49 AM)Benton Wrote: What does the National Science Foundation have to do with a giant picture of a dog's nose?

I totally see it now.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-12-2016, 11:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I totally see it now.

It took me a minute.
I was going back and checking the links.
Hilarious

Um..... ok.. Dog is the ruler of the universe,  man.... some dyslexic just got it mixed up, man. *puff*
Cool