Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La El Collins looks good
(05-26-2023, 10:56 AM)SladeX Wrote: I want the 5 best OL on the field, given that they are suited for the role. If that means LC at LG, Carman at RT, and Jonah at swing, and Volson’s potential riding the bench, so f***ing be it. I don’t give 2 craps about Jonahs salary.

I agree. Whatever the best 5 OL is so be it. Hopefully we get the right mix out there. I'm actually pumped thinking about Collins at LG or if Volson earns the spot. I also think Jonah could really benefit from playing next to a solid Guard like Kappa.
Seriously? Someone deleted that post?

[Image: disappointed-head-shake.gif]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(05-26-2023, 09:45 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree. Whatever the best 5 OL is so be it. Hopefully we get the right mix out there. I'm actually pumped thinking about Collins at LG or if Volson earns the spot. I also think Jonah could really benefit from playing next to a solid Guard like Kappa.

Ha!  It's not like a deck of cards, where you just pull the 5 highest out and throw them on the table.  OL is a unit, the interior 3 built a strong amount of continuity last season.  I'm willing to bet that the coaching staff already sees the 5 spots already taken, and depth is what it is that the rest are fighting for.  And having starter quality depth is a good thing, case in point when the Bengals were down 3 OL starters in the AFCCG.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Patrick Mahomes “ Yeah, it’s tough,” Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes said of losing Brown to the Bengals, per Myles Simmons of Pro Football Talk. “I still talk to Orlando. We had a friendship off the field just as much as on the field. You understand how great of a player he is.

“He makes Cincinnati an even better football team, so that stinks for us, but at the same time, I’m happy for him that he got to a good place where he was able to get a good contract that he deserved and everything like that. We’ll still have that friendship, but he’s a competitor like me, so we’re going to be wanting to be able to brag about who wins that football game.”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

(05-26-2023, 05:54 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, La'el Coillins had knee surgery, too.  He was at the practices.  

The Boyd situation has nothing to do with Jonah.  Never demanded a trade or indicated that he wanted out due to being 3rd receiver.  

You're making things up.

I don't have to understand shit to know simple correlation.

You request a trade because you don't want to be in your current situation.  

Nobody is whining about anything.  I doubt many fans would care if he were traded and they unloaded his salary/got a decent pick.

Also, speaking of amateur, you seem to be playing pretend psychologist assuming he and his agent have no ill will toward the team.  HTF would you know?  He just lost a guaranteed shot at a sweetheart contract at LT when Brown came in and took the job.  The only reason his agent clammed up is because nobody would give enough in trade to get him moved to another team.

Another amateur response.

Not sure why you let this situation get in your feelings, the request was likely expected and not at all unreasonable.

Jonah has done nothing wrong, he had his agent respectfully request a trade because he thinks that is best for himself and his family.  Personally, I think fans that slam a guy for that request comes across as  kinda selfish.

I would love for Jonah to have attended OTAs, but it wasn't required.  If Jonah comes out with disrespectful language or threatens a hold out then I have no issues with people going negative, but this projection is so petty.  Multiple trade requests are made on every team, every year, we just dont see them.

(05-25-2023, 09:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is great news. A fully healthy LC has the pedigree to be the 2nd best olineman on this team.

the problem is he does not seem to stay healthy and from what i saw last year, his best days seem behind him, hopefully he will prove me wrong on both accounts.. I think Williams will be the starter when the dust settles regardless. 
(05-29-2023, 03:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: the problem is he does not seem to stay healthy and from what i saw last year, his best days seem behind him, hopefully he will prove me wrong on both accounts.. I think Williams will be the starter when the dust settles regardless. 

Well, you know. That's not a hard thing to do...

Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Its great to see Collins looking good. If that dude gets back to 100%, which he supposedly wasn't last season, he could be a very good RT. I think he will win the starting job easily if he is actually forreal 100%. Followed by Carman then Williams would be my 3rd. I'm not high on Williams at all.
(05-29-2023, 03:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: the problem is he does not seem to stay healthy and from what i saw last year, his best days seem behind him, hopefully he will prove me wrong on both accounts.. I think Williams will be the starter when the dust settles regardless. 

You question LC's ability to stay healthy and assert JW will get the gig? Bold move.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Glad LC is recovering. Been worried about him since we signed him but not because of injuries.

Dude was playing between an all pro guard and pro bowl TE…would love to see him manufacture his Dallas success, if possible. Always felt he got carried. (Caveat: I’m not an NFL scout)

Wouldn’t be upset if he isn’t the starter week 1
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
You really have to think advances in trauma surgery along with the incentive for earning millions of dollars for players to work so much harder in rehab were the real game changers with these types of injuries. Back when the top earnings were maybe a million tops (usually far less) the incentive wasn't so much .That same incentive trickles on up to the medical industry as well. The NFL can pay for the best surgeons money can buy anywhere in the world. For the rest of us? Maybe not so much, but we can still access some very skilled medical procedures. The difference is that most of us just ain't got the same incentive for earning 30 million dollars if we rehab hard enough.. We'll just feel better..Most of us ain't gonna go earn an extra 30 million bucks if we rehab a bum knee in 6 months..For me it would be the ability to walk around in the grocery without feeling like I'm gonna die pushing a cart across the parking lot..lol  Say what you want about Collins's relative age, but he ain't 64 yet.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(05-27-2023, 08:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Another amateur response.

Not sure why you let this situation get in your feelings, the request was likely expected and not at all unreasonable.

Jonah has done nothing wrong, he had his agent respectfully request a trade because he thinks that is best for himself and his family.  Personally, I think fans that slam a guy for that request comes across as  kinda selfish.

I would love for Jonah to have attended OTAs, but it wasn't required.  If Jonah comes out with disrespectful language or threatens a hold out then I have no issues with people going negative, but this projection is so petty.  Multiple trade requests are made on every team, every year, we just dont see them.

I can't argue that Jonah Williams has every right to request a trade and lookout for himself - epecially in a contract year - but it was incredibly dissapointing to see that as his reaction.

It just comes across as arrogant and delusional. Every one of his co-workers has been on the "Whatever it takes" to win wagon and put aside personal things for the team. Jonah refusing to get on board is a bad look. He's a mid tier LT at best, oft injured, gave up the most sacks in the league last year.

He also refused a position switch to C at Alabama. He's looking like a tool at this stage as far as teammates go.

However, to circle back around to your point, the guy has every damn right to pursue his own interests. And I agree that when it's time to show up to work, he should in good faith do so as far as work ethic goes.
(05-30-2023, 08:59 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I can't argue that Jonah Williams has every right to request a trade and lookout for himself - epecially in a contract year - but it was incredibly dissapointing to see that as his reaction.

It just comes across as arrogant and delusional. Every one of his co-workers has been on the "Whatever it takes" to win wagon and put aside personal things for the team. Jonah refusing to get on board is a bad look. He's a mid tier LT at best, oft injured, gave up the most sacks in the league last year.

He also refused a position switch to C at Alabama. He's looking like a tool at this stage as far as teammates go.

However, to circle back around to your point, the guy has every damn right to pursue his own interests. And I agree that when it's time to show up to work, he should in good faith do so as far as work ethic goes.

I just don't see it this way. He sees himself as a Left Tackle and wants to play left tackle. He lost his job here, so he wanted to see if he could go play left tackle somewhere else. I don't think that is something he should be chastised for. If you work for a construction company and you are an electrician, and all of a sudden, your boss says "we hired a new electrician, so we want you to be a plumber" are you going to criticize that guy for looking for an electrician job elsewhere? 

Now, if he continues to stay here, because he could not find a trade partner, and continues to take his salary, then he should be fully expected to put his head down and work to be the best right tackle he can be. I think he will, but it remains to be seen. 
The desire to be rich meets reality. Well, that's a shocking turn of events. Welcome to the exclusive club Johna.. I meet reality a few times. It's not quite as user friendly as seen on TV.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

(05-30-2023, 09:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I just don't see it this way. He sees himself as a Left Tackle and wants to play left tackle. He lost his job here, so he wanted to see if he could go play left tackle somewhere else. I don't think that is something he should be chastised for. If you work for a construction company and you are an electrician, and all of a sudden, your boss says "we hired a new electrician, so we want you to be a plumber" are you going to criticize that guy for looking for an electrician job elsewhere? 

Now, if he continues to stay here, because he could not find a trade partner, and continues to take his salary, then he should be fully expected to put his head down and work to be the best right tackle he can be. I think he will, but it remains to be seen. 

I'm not sure electrician to plumber is fair.

I would maybe say that they took him off of doing the breaker pannels and told him he's got to start hanging the lighting fixtures because his panels were sloppy and they hired someone better to do it.

I think the "he sees himself" is the part that has me thinking he's got an overinflated sense of himself as a player... but, in fairness, I would say most of the players in the pro sports leagues do as well. He hasn't been consistently good or healthy at LT. To continue to demand playing there or be traded... instead of being up for utilization at a similar apot RT strikes me as crappy.

Full disclosure, I never liked the Williams pick and thought he should have been a G or RT. I have hated watching him flounder about over there and collect a check while being made of plastic. He should have NEVER been a LT in the NFL, but the Bengals needed one badly and he was the pick they made.
(05-30-2023, 09:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I just don't see it this way. He sees himself as a Left Tackle and wants to play left tackle. He lost his job here, so he wanted to see if he could go play left tackle somewhere else. I don't think that is something he should be chastised for. If you work for a construction company and you are an electrician, and all of a sudden, your boss says "we hired a new electrician, so we want you to be a plumber" are you going to criticize that guy for looking for an electrician job elsewhere? 

I agree funny if Jonah tried to tell a few on here how to manage their life …. crazy. Agents sometimes go to far too.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

The RT competition is a great one to have as long as the coaches let the best player win the competition. Of the three Jonah gets paid regardless of the outcome and that might play to Carmen's benefit since he's most definitely not made generational wealth the way Jonah has. Still, many millions are at stake next season and beyond. This will be one of the most interesting competitions the Bengals have had in years, enjoy it!
(05-30-2023, 08:59 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I can't argue that Jonah Williams has every right to request a trade and lookout for himself - epecially in a contract year - but it was incredibly dissapointing to see that as his reaction.

You absolutely contradict yourself from the first sentence to the 2nd.  I am also confused with how it came across.... it was a tweet by his agent.  A very basic "seeking a trade" tweet.  Jonah has not made any negative comments whatsoever.  "Arrogant and delusional" simply does not make any sense to me.

Nah, it isn't like switching careers completely. Maybe if the electrician had been a plumber before that thought would make sense.

Jonah HAS played RT before. His agent was the one that put out the tweet, I don't blame him or Jonah for pursuing better opportunities as 
he just got replaced at LT. But now it is time for Jonah to get to work as Carman is taking the starting RT snaps right now and Taylor the HC 
has said many times that Carman will get every opportunity to win the RT job. So will Jonah but him being injured all the time and getting
pushed around lately gives me pause about Jonah winning the RT job.
(05-30-2023, 02:15 PM)casear2727 Wrote: You absolutely contradict yourself from the first sentence to the 2nd.  I am also confused with how it came across.... it was a tweet by his agent.  A very basic "seeking a trade" tweet.  Jonah has not made any negative comments whatsoever.  "Arrogant and delusional" simply does not make any sense to me.

To clarify, he has every right to request a trade.

He is arrogant and delusional for thinking he deserves to still be the LT after his mediocre at best first 4 seasons at the spot and that he was beyond being replaced. He did make comments in an interview that he was "blindsided" by the signing of Brown Jr. How could he be surprised given that he just lead the entire league in sacks given up - shocking given that he once again missed games due to injury. Thus, to me, he's delusional or at least jaded in his performance/career so far.

Happy players/selfless players aren't making a trade request because of a position switch.

That's why I said he has every right to ask to be moved... but doing so instead of moving to a position he would probably  be better at is arrogant. Especially given that his teammates and culture of the locker room seems to have guys willing to do simmilar things to support and help the team.

I understand people supporting Jonah and his right as a man to pursue his goals. I support that, too. His goal of being the starting LT if the Bengals didn't pan out. I just think this is a selfish, jaded look on his part. He also has every right to be those last 2 things, too. That doesn't mean I agree with his choices.