Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La El Collins looks good
(05-25-2023, 11:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I feel like his entire injury was a bit murky. Remember it wasn't that significant at first, and then it was? Then he said he could have played in the playoffs? Im not sure anyone really knows the full details around it. 

I don't remember the playoff statement but that makes it even a little more murky. I'm glad he's doing as well as he is but when I saw the clip I was wondering if the Bengals lied about the extent of the injury. 
But I wonder if Collins would be better at guard than he was at tackle. If he's healthy going into the season than our line should be looking very good from a depth perspective. I would feel more comfortable having Jonah on the roster this year but if an offer comes that we can't refuse in training camp than that would be good as well.
(05-25-2023, 11:05 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Absolutely. I do find it rather hilarious when people want to agree/disagree with PFF and their evaluations to fit their narrative. Truth of the matter is Volson was a starter on an OL that was humming along very nicely after the 3rd/4th game last year right up until the last couple games when 3 other starters went out.
This kid will improve greatly going into year 2. An entire year into the playbook, maturing physically, etc. 

I don’t know all the people at PFF but a few. One former PFF judging and analyzing QB’s and offenses was Zac Robinson. I know him and his father. He’s legit Sean McVay has him as passing game coordinator and QB coach. That’s a fantastic endorsement. They aren’t indisputable as a grader but it’s a help.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

(05-25-2023, 11:26 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I honestly feel like he's gotten worse over the years.

May have, but PFF rated him (somewhat) higher in 2022 compared to 2021, at least.

His grades each year:
2020 (only 233 snaps) - 51.6 (53.3 run block, 53.6 pass block)
2021 (777 snaps) - 43.0 (46.3 run block, 36.1 pass block)
2022 (418 snaps) - 46.9 (58.9 run block, 36.2 pass block)

Going further in depth into the pass blocking because some don't like the grades and instead want pressures and sacks...
2020 (150 PB snaps) - 4 sacks allowed, 12 total pressures allowed
2021 (501 PB snaps) - 9 sacks allowed, 37 total pressures allowed
2022 (259 PB snaps) - 4 sacks allowed, 23 total pressures allowed

Ted Karras played 1298 offensive snaps last year, allowing just 2 sacks and 24 total pressures on 724 pass block snaps.
If Adeniji were to ever play close to this many snaps, I fear we'd be looking at 12+ sacks and 50+ pressures allowed from him.

Guy has had enough time now to figure out and improve, and it just hasn't happened. Time to cut ties.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-25-2023, 11:38 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We eat the 12.6 if we cut him. It is not hard to grasp, for most, anyway. He won't be cut. 

As for a trade, he likely yields a 3rd round comp pick if he walks, so a trade will have to beat that. Though a trade oick would arrive quicker. 

Our post-season runs the last two years were largely derailed by o-line injuries. Reiff and then Collins/Cappa/Jonah. Having a little actual proven OT depth is a good thing. We lost both OTs in last year's run. 

IOL is still problematic in terms of depth. Hoping Kirkland/Brown blossom in preseason. 

Personal opinion, but I don't think he'll make enough on a new contract elsewhere to warrant that high of a comp pick.
It's gonna require $15+ mill APY, and I don't think he's shown enough to give team confidence enough to give him that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(05-25-2023, 03:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personal opinion, but I don't think he'll make enough on a new contract elsewhere to warrant that high of a comp pick.
It's gonna require $15+ mill APY, and I don't think he's shown enough to give team confidence enough to give him that.

I agree, he's going to have to stay healthy all season, and perform well in order to command a starting level contract.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-25-2023, 03:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Personal opinion, but I don't think he'll make enough on a new contract elsewhere to warrant that high of a comp pick.

Perhaps. 

But OL is always in demand. They get overpaid. 
This is great news. A fully healthy LC has the pedigree to be the 2nd best olineman on this team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-25-2023, 05:35 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure why we should think Jonah's mind isn't right?  Or that he won't be ready to compete in his contract year?  

So much has been projected on Jonah all because his agent announced he would like a trade....

Yeah, poor guy.  

It's so unfair.  

Not like he could just say he's ready to come in and be the team's starting RT.  Or be present at OTAs.  Or do one single thing to indicate he's okay with the switch.  Yeah, that would be nearly impossible.
(05-25-2023, 09:39 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, poor guy.  

It's so unfair.  

Not like he could just say he's ready to come in and be the team's starting RT.  Or be present at OTAs.  Or do one single thing to indicate he's okay with the switch.  Yeah, that would be nearly impossible.

Such an amateur take.  Where is Tyler Boyd?  Jonah did have knee surgery this offseason.

Fans that are whiny and complaining because Jonah's agent requested a trade simply reveal a total lack of understanding of the other side of the NFL.  His trade request was likely not a surprise nor was it out of line.  Jonah, nor his agent, have expressed anything negative towards the franchise.  

These petulant comments by fans are without merit and simply an unfair projection.  If Williams does come out and say negative things or decides to sit out to force a trade, I would have no issue with fan backlash.  As of today he has given 4 years of hard work and has never been a problem.

(05-24-2023, 03:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That RT spot is going to be hotly contested. JMHO. It’s really 3 guys in survival mode. Collins in shape could be a factor

(05-25-2023, 12:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If it were that easy. Unfortunately, across the league and right here in Cincy, we have seen tackles move inside who absolutely cannot play guard. 

LC has actually played left guard his first two seasons in the league and played it well.

(05-25-2023, 01:58 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I don't remember the playoff statement but that makes it even a little more murky. I'm glad he's doing as well as he is but when I saw the clip I was wondering if the Bengals lied about the extent of the injury. 

I dont see it this way at all.  Guys think they can play on an ACL all the time, and MRI's dont always show the immediate damage due to the swelling I presume?

I still fully expect LC to start the season on the PUP, gives him time to heal everything and the team 6 weeks to determine all the options, also allows an extra player on the 53.

(05-25-2023, 09:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Perhaps. 

But OL is always in demand. They get overpaid. 

Right, I mean, Oggie is still in the league.
(05-26-2023, 06:02 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Such an amateur take.  Where is Tyler Boyd?  Jonah did have knee surgery this offseason.

Fans that are whiny and complaining because Jonah's agent requested a trade simply reveal a total lack of understanding of the other side of the NFL.  His trade request was likely not a surprise nor was it out of line.  Jonah, nor his agent, have expressed anything negative towards the franchise.  

These petulant comments by fans are without merit and simply an unfair projection.  If Williams does come out and say negative things or decides to sit out to force a trade, I would have no issue with fan backlash.  As of today he has given 4 years of hard work and has never been a problem.

I have zero problem with him requesting a trade after Zeus was brought in and took his spot. The only problem I have with Williams is his anchor. If he fixes that and gets back to the player he was before he started struggling, I'm good with keeping him for an extended period. 
(05-26-2023, 06:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: LC has actually played left guard his first two seasons in the league and played it well.

That's good. I wasn't aware of that, but the point remains. Everyone always says "move him to guard" when talking about tackles, and it doesn't always work.
(05-26-2023, 08:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's good. I wasn't aware of that, but the point remains. Everyone always says "move him to guard" when talking about tackles, and it doesn't always work.

Collins' history at LG is why I said that though: would also help with his lateral movement a bit.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
I want the 5 best OL on the field, given that they are suited for the role. If that means LC at LG, Carman at RT, and Jonah at swing, and Volson’s potential riding the bench, so f***ing be it. I don’t give 2 craps about Jonahs salary.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Collins certainly looks like he has the right approach and work ethic.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(05-24-2023, 10:09 PM)samhain Wrote: Jonah better get his mind right.  If he doesn't come in ready to compete, he's going to lose a literal fortune.  Carman and Collins will be hungry and ready to prove a lot.

I agree. I like both Collins and Carman. I think both will be very hungry and will be ready to bring it. Williams has his hands full keeping a job on this line, imo.

Also, LC looks in amazing shape. Looks at least 25-30 lbs. lighter to me.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
(05-26-2023, 02:21 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I agree. I like both Collins and Carman. I think both will be very hungry and will be ready to bring it. Williams has his hands full keeping a job on this line, imo.

Also, LC looks in amazing shape. Looks at least 25-30 lbs. lighter to me.

He needs to, because if you're going to perform at a high level with back issues you need a strong, tight core.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-26-2023, 06:02 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Such an amateur take.  Where is Tyler Boyd?  Jonah did have knee surgery this offseason.

Yeah, La'el Coillins had knee surgery, too.  He was at the practices.  

The Boyd situation has nothing to do with Jonah.  Never demanded a trade or indicated that he wanted out due to being 3rd receiver.  

You're making things up.

I don't have to understand shit to know simple correlation.

You request a trade because you don't want to be in your current situation.  

Nobody is whining about anything.  I doubt many fans would care if he were traded and they unloaded his salary/got a decent pick.

Also, speaking of amateur, you seem to be playing pretend psychologist assuming he and his agent have no ill will toward the team. HTF would you know? He just lost a guaranteed shot at a sweetheart contract at LT when Brown came in and took the job. The only reason his agent clammed up is because nobody would give enough in trade to get him moved to another team.