Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La El Collins looks good
Major Knee Surgery recovery time is amazing now........just a few years ago Collins' tears puts him out 9 months min.......he's on his toes here pushin back
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Jonah better get his mind right. If he doesn't come in ready to compete, he's going to lose a literal fortune. Carman and Collins will be hungry and ready to prove a lot.
(05-24-2023, 09:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Volson had a rough start to the season (as did everyone else - lack of snaps in preseason showed) but improved all season and by season's end he was at NFL average level consistently and flashing above average. And this was with the Tackle next to him getting beat constantly to the inside which really makes a Guard's job harder. Volson is the LG.

I don't know why people keep saying this. He was only average, at best, among other rookies. He was below average, comfortably, among all Gs. He didn't start off rough (other than game #1) and gradually get better. He was up and down game by game all year. 

He's eminently replaceable.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(05-24-2023, 10:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know why people keep saying this. He was only average, at best, among other rookies. He was below average, comfortably, among all Gs. He didn't start off rough (other than game #1) and gradually get better. He was up and down game by game all year. 

Low standards for drafted bengals o-linemen. Volson is “great” because he exceeded initial expectations(being Carman’s back up).

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
(05-24-2023, 10:44 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Low standards for drafted bengals o-linemen. Volson is “great” because he exceeded initial expectations(being Carman’s back up).

Yeah. There's always been an overabundance of "hope" in Bengals fandom. Hope doesn't get you jack squat. I just want the coaching staff to be willing to play the best 5, regardless of name, position or salary. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Did Collins actually tear ligaments in his knee or just sprain them? At first they said it was his ankle then they came out and said it was his knee. I thought it was said that he tore his ACL and MCL but the time line of this just doesn't seem right to me so maybe I misread what the injury was.
(05-24-2023, 10:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't know why people keep saying this. He was only average, at best, among other rookies. He was below average, comfortably, among all Gs. He didn't start off rough (other than game #1) and gradually get better. He was up and down game by game all year. 

Go find it on this forum - KillerGoose charted Volson versus the NFL average for Guards game by game - by season's end he was consistently at the average with flashes above it. In other words he developed properly all season. 
(05-24-2023, 11:10 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Did Collins actually tear ligaments in his knee or just sprain them? At first they said it was his ankle then they came out and said it was his knee. I thought it was said that he tore his ACL and MCL but the time line of this just doesn't seem right to me so maybe I misread what the injury was.

Don’t know when he had surgery but I’d expect mid-January. 4 1/2 months would be his time line. I’m no expert but these guys gets world class surgery and rehab. But it’s indeed surprisingly early I agree.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Respectfully the positive feedback from the coaches, teammates, and analytics all point to Volson improving as the year progressed. I respect the cautionary opinions and skepticism after years of ineffectiveness. It’s been an albatross. But I think Volson gets a bad rap as he did improve and as a rookie and playing FCS competition he came a long way. With the news of Collins looking good today, Carman’s performance late last season and refreshing attitude, and Jonah not demanding a trade the OL depth and outlook and with the addition of Brown can’t we be a little optimistic?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

This is good news on Collins. I was hoping he'd be ready early, if not for the opener, then soon thereafter. When he initially got hurt, he said he hoped he could play the next week. Then the scans revealed the tears. Was hoping that early optimism hinted at less severe tears. Looks like that might be the case, or he just healed fast.

If he is slimmer & his back is better, look out. Dalls LC would be fantastic and our run game could really use the help.
I was thinking he was an obvious PUP list candidate. He obviously feels some urgency to get back quick.
Jonah is dealing with his own knee injury recovery. Another guy who could be a PUP candidate.
Carman, Ford, and Adeniji are competing for the RT job while those two heal.
Add Zeus, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Hill, Scharping and Smith and that is 10 OL if we let Collins and Jonah get back to full health on PUP list.
(05-24-2023, 09:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Regardless of age don’t you think players take a nice jump their second year? Especially an OL guy?

I do and I think he will have a nice bump, apparently he has a solid work ethic which will help.  But the jump from 21-23 is almost always the biggest versus 24 to 25.  But it isnt set in stone and I hope he does fantastic.

(05-24-2023, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Based upon the articles written about him, it seems to me that the coaches see him as the LG going forward.  From my own perspective of watching him develop from getting thrown straight into the fire as a rookie, and how he developed into a very competent, if not solid player as the season wore on, I think that he's definitely taking that big step forward this year.

I do not disagree and hope he has an outstanding season.

(05-24-2023, 07:46 PM)Housh Wrote: Hopefully his back had time to heal

I still think he goes on the PUP for an additional 6 weeks of rehab and training.

(05-24-2023, 09:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Volson had a rough start to the season (as did everyone else - lack of snaps in preseason showed) but improved all season and by season's end he was at NFL average level consistently and flashing above average. And this was with the Tackle next to him getting beat constantly to the inside which really makes a Guard's job harder. Volson is the LG.

I disagree with this, Volson missed so many switches.  A video review of Jonah's sacks revealed at least 3 that should have been on Cordell or Cordell did something wrong resulting in the sack.

(05-24-2023, 10:09 PM)samhain Wrote: Jonah better get his mind right.  If he doesn't come in ready to compete, he's going to lose a literal fortune.  Carman and Collins will be hungry and ready to prove a lot.

Not sure why we should think Jonah's mind isn't right?  Or that he won't be ready to compete in his contract year?  

So much has been projected on Jonah all because his agent announced he would like a trade....

I still think Jonah beats him (and Carman) out for RT this season.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

(05-25-2023, 09:08 AM)Garrus Wrote: I still think Jonah beats him (and Carman) out for RT this season.

I don’t really care who starts. I’m just excited at the depth and looming competition

(05-25-2023, 09:08 AM)Garrus Wrote: I still think Jonah beats him (and Carman) out for RT this season.

I'm pulling for all 3 (I'm excited to see the competition, especially if it's a 3 man race), but I too think it'll be Jonah once the dust settles...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
(05-24-2023, 11:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Respectfully the positive feedback from the coaches, teammates, and analytics all point to Volson improving as the year progressed. I respect the cautionary opinions and skepticism after years of ineffectiveness. It’s been an albatross. But I think Volson gets a bad rap as he did improve and as a rookie and playing FCS competition he came a long way. With the news of Collins looking good today, Carman’s performance late last season and refreshing attitude, and Jonah not demanding a trade the OL depth and outlook and with the addition of Brown can’t we be a little optimistic?

Absolutely. I do find it rather hilarious when people want to agree/disagree with PFF and their evaluations to fit their narrative. Truth of the matter is Volson was a starter on an OL that was humming along very nicely after the 3rd/4th game last year right up until the last couple games when 3 other starters went out.
This kid will improve greatly going into year 2. An entire year into the playbook, maturing physically, etc. 
It's hard to imagine they carry Jonah and his 13 million on the roster if he "loses" the RG battle.

13 million on a depth piece is ridiculous. I wouldn't rule out him being traded IF LC takes the job.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy