Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giovani Bernard to be limited in OTAs, six months after ACL tear
Quote:Bengals running back Giovani Bernard has come along well enough after last season’s torn ACL that he can get at least some work in at organized team activities.

Bernard is expected to be a limited participant at OTAs, Katherine Terrell of ESPN reports.

In 10 games last season, Bernard had 91 carries for 337 yards and 39 catches for 336 yards. He suffered a torn ACL against the Bills on November 20.

The Bengals’ backfield has grown more crowded this offseason with the arrival of second-round draft pick Joe Mixon. Bernard may get fewer carries this year thanks to the presence of Mixon, although he’ll likely still be an important part of the passing game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/22/giovani-bernard-to-be-limited-in-otas-six-months-after-acl-tear/
Reply/Quote
This is a lot better than it sounds.
Reply/Quote
Should we be conservative with Gio though?

With Mixon in the fold and Hill in a prove yourself year I suspect we will be fine. Let Hill and Mixon man the wheel and let Gio give our offense a mid-season pick me up. If Gio has his agility back it would make him even more deadly with fresh legs against guys who have been running since the start of the season.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 10:02 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Should we be conservative with Gio though?

With Mixon in the fold and Hill in a prove yourself year I suspect we will be fine. Let Hill and Mixon man the wheel and let Gio give our offense a mid-season pick me up. If Gio has his agility back it would make him even more deadly with fresh legs against guys who have been running since the start of the season.

Right but Hill is also a bad football player. Regardless Gio is right on schedule so far and I don't expect the need for PUP. It's not really the need to be conservative or anything with the way ACL injuries work. He'll need probably until week 8 to get into an actual groove but he should be able to stay healthy and contribute
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2017, 10:02 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Should we be conservative with Gio though?

I would think so.  My wife has had a total of 4 ACL reconstructions.  According to her surgeon, the graft is actually at it's weakest at the 6 month mark of recovery.  Obviously Gio Bernard being a young man, professional athlete, his recovery will be greatly accelerated compared to any average civilian going through the same procedure.  Even with the high level of PT professionals that he's been with, I would still guess that making cuts would still be risky for him right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Mixon time

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 12:10 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: Sounds like Mixon time

I'm hoping it's Mixon time anyways.

That's a shame about Gio, though, because he's a valuable change-of-pace that can do a lot of things that the opposition has to prepare for.

Even if Mixon is our main back, I'm pretty sure we keep Hill until we're sure Gio is healthy, and if that's not until mid-season, we'll just keep him so we get a comp pick when he leaves.
Reply/Quote
Glad his recovery is going well. He may not have eye popping stats, but he's been very valuable for us.

Last year was the only year he didn't have over 1000 all purpose yards, and the only year he had below a 4.0 YPC. I never did like how he wasn't used much in the passing game last year.

Give me a two back set with Gio and Mixon. Then you got Eifert to take the seam, Ross and Green on the outsides. You can throw or run, and they won't know which is coming.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling Mix might just give Hill some much needed motivation.  He's not the worst running back we've ever seen by a long stretch. 
IDK.. Time will tell.. 
Gio needs to be completely healthy before they try tossing him into the fire.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I say let Gio take it slowly and get 100%. In the meantime, put Mixon in with Hill as his backup Hilarious  and toss Boom Williams in there as the change of pace scat back guy....
Reply/Quote
If we did not have Mixon then we could probably get Gio in the lineup by opening day. But I think it would be best to start him out on PUP.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 03:43 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Glad his recovery is going well. He may not have eye popping stats, but he's been very valuable for us.

Last year was the only year he didn't have over 1000 all purpose yards, and the only year he had below a 4.0 YPC. I never did like how he wasn't used much in the passing game last year.

Give me a two back set with Gio and Mixon. Then you got Eifert to take the seam, Ross and Green on the outsides. You can throw or run, and they won't know which is coming.

My thoughts exactly Wolf. This set would make us much more unpredictable.

Damn, i just hope our O-line can play decent if they do this would be our best Offensive team ever IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: My thoughts exactly Wolf. This set would make us much more unpredictable.

Damn, i just hope our O-line can play decent if they do this would be our best Offensive team ever IMHO.

That's a bold statement considering some of the offenses of the past with Kenny and Boomer at the helm....
Reply/Quote
It's good that Gio is getting back to normal. I think his usage early on will come down to how Hill looks. If he continues to play like his 2015-16 self, then I can see Gio getting a few snaps early on. If Mixon turns out to be as good of a RB that people talk about, then Gio can take his time. If our OL blows chunks, then I'd say he should take a tire iron to his other knee and sit out the season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Hill is either struggling because of a lack of acumen. If that's due to bad/inconsistent coaching, replace the coach. If that's due to Hill, then this is a perfect time to transition him out through the first few games and Mixon in, with a chance to bring Gio back slowly through the second part.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 04:27 PM)Benton Wrote: Hill is either struggling because of a lack of acumen. If that's due to bad/inconsistent coaching, replace the coach. If that's due to Hill, then this is a perfect time to transition him out through the first few games and Mixon in, with a chance to bring Gio back slowly through the second part.

Well when you consider the other running backs get it, you have to think it's not the coach....
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 04:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Well when you consider the other running backs get it, you have to think it's not the coach....

true. hill's problems seem to largely be little errors that turn into big mistakes. sometimes that's just an issue of a coach knowing what needs to be fixed. if that's the case with hill, no idea, just saying it could be.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 04:04 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a bold statement considering some of the offenses of the past with Kenny and Boomer at the helm....

Yeah it is, but the O-line will have to play decent for this to come to fruition.

That is some hella weapons, AJ Green, John Ross, Tyler Eifert, Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard...

That isn't even mentioning the backups. Dalton ain't no punk either at QB..
Reply/Quote