Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ladd McConkey
https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1773019254608076904/photo/1

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 11:46 PM)Okeana Wrote: https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1773019254608076904/photo/1

That’s great we still don’t need him. We need a dtackle offensive tackle and another corner. Wayyyyyyy before we start talking about a WR. Lord please help these bengals fans
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 09:13 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: That’s great we still don’t need him.  We need a dtackle offensive tackle and another corner.  Wayyyyyyy before we start talking about a WR.  Lord please help these bengals fans

Nice opinion you have there....  

But that's all it is.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 09:13 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: That’s great we still don’t need him. We need a dtackle offensive tackle and another corner. Wayyyyyyy before we start talking about a WR. Lord please help these bengals fans

lol, you’re high. WR is quickly becoming a huge need and with the contracts they are getting it’s great value.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 10:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: lol, you’re high.  WR is quickly becoming a huge need and with the contracts they are getting it’s great value.

The Bengals do have bigger needs than a slot WR, positions like long term solution at RT and NT, CB, WR2, TE. Personally, I see the Bengals offense shifting away from being so dependent upon the 3WR formations and becoming more diverse in their offensive presentation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 10:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals do have bigger needs than a slot WR, positions like long term solution at RT and NT, CB, WR2, TE. Personally, I see the Bengals offense shifting away from being so dependent upon the 3WR formations and becoming more diverse in their offensive presentation.

The most recent NFL personnel grouping stats I can find show that league wide, teams are in 11 61% of the time and in 3+ WR groupings 2/3 of the time.  Your slot WR is hypothetically going to play more snaps than DJ Reader did in a typical game (58-60%).  

Given the fact that they promoted Pitcher from within, I think any prospective major change in offensive philosophy is wishful thinking.  The fact that Callahan got a HC gig and major offensive pieces like Boyd and Mixon are still unsigned or traded away for peanuts I think is a smoking gun that actual league personnel are high on our offensive scheme and know it wasn't just talent.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 11:03 AM)Whatever Wrote: The most recent NFL personnel grouping stats I can find show that league wide, teams are in 11 61% of the time and in 3+ WR groupings 2/3 of the time.  Your slot WR is hypothetically going to play more snaps than DJ Reader did in a typical game (58-60%).  

Given the fact that they promoted Pitcher from within, I think any prospective major change in offensive philosophy is wishful thinking.  The fact that Callahan got a HC gig and major offensive pieces like Boyd and Mixon are still unsigned or traded away for peanuts I think is a smoking gun that actual league personnel are high on our offensive scheme and know it wasn't just talent.  

If they really want to continue playing predictably and getting Burrow banged up from putting the OL in unfavorable situations, who am I to argue with league statistical averages? I do remember last season when the offense suddenly looked different, we read that those changes were things that they had been working on, but unable to implement while Burrow was slowed by the calf injury.

To my way of thinking, the decision to go a different direction with the offense has already been made. The quick promotion of Dan Pitcher is likely an indication that they are going to continue progressing upon the ground work that was laid last season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 10:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals do have bigger needs than a slot WR, positions like long term solution at RT and NT, CB, WR2, TE. Personally, I see the Bengals offense shifting away from being so dependent upon the 3WR formations and becoming more diverse in their offensive presentation.

HES NOT A SLOT RECEIVER!  I get it, he's white omfg

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 02:22 PM)Okeana Wrote: HES NOT A SLOT RECEIVER!  I get it, he's white omfg

How is Ladd's deep speed? I didn't see much of it in that vid, seems like a great WR on curls and cutting up field after the catch, but I 
didn't see deep speed like I see when say watching Brian Thomas Jr who is an outside WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How is Ladd's deep speed? I didn't see much of it in that vid, seems like a great WR on curls and cutting up field after the catch, but I 
didn't see deep speed like I see when say watching Brian Thomas Jr who is an outside WR.

i mean he runs a 4.39, so it can't be that bad. the thing is that he uses his route skills to win and not just speed.  the guy jukes the shoes off guys.  his short shuttle and 3 cone are similar to julian edelman with about the same 10 yard split, but his long speed is better.  My comp would be Mecole Hardman, but a better route runner

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How is Ladd's deep speed? I didn't see much of it in that vid, seems like a great WR on curls and cutting up field after the catch, but I 

Personally I don't see the Hype with Thomas Jr, he was playing on a great team in college with one of the best receivers and qbs.  There were games where he lined up against NFL quality corners and they just shut him down.  He had a good combine, but the difference between 4.39 and 4.33 isn't that big, I would be curious to see short shuttle and 3 cone on Brian Thomas, but he avoided them.  

Here is what's going to happen, Ladd will slide because he's white, he will get drafted by Kansas City and become a hall of fame receiver.  The Georgia coaches said he came in early and stayed late every day watching tape, guys with his athletic profile and work ethic just don't miss unless they have a freak injury.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 03:47 PM)Okeana Wrote: i mean he runs a 4.39, so it can't be that bad. the thing is that he uses his route skills to win and not just speed.  the guy jukes the shoes off guys.  his short shuttle and 3 cone are similar to julian edelman with about the same 10 yard split, but his long speed is better.  My comp would be Mecole Hardman, but a better route runner

The Adam Thielen comparison for Ladd McConkey everyone uses is fair but I would go with Tyler Lockett myself. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 03:47 PM)Okeana Wrote: i mean he runs a 4.39, so it can't be that bad. the thing is that he uses his route skills to win and not just speed.  the guy jukes the shoes off guys.  his short shuttle and 3 cone are similar to julian edelman with about the same 10 yard split, but his long speed is better.  My comp would be Mecole Hardman, but a better route runner

Cool, thanks Okeana. Ladd does juke like a sumbitch, really good at making defenders miss in the open field. 

(03-28-2024, 03:58 PM)Okeana Wrote: Personally I don't see the Hype with Thomas Jr, he was playing on a great team in college with one of the best receivers and qbs.  There were games where he lined up against NFL quality corners and they just shut him down.  He had a good combine, but the difference between 4.39 and 4.33 isn't that big, I would be curious to see short shuttle and 3 cone on Brian Thomas, but he avoided them.  

Here is what's going to happen, Ladd will slide because he's white, he will get drafted by Kansas City and become a hall of fame receiver.  The Georgia coaches said he came in early and stayed late every day watching tape, guys with his athletic profile and work ethic just don't miss unless they have a freak injury.

Thomas Jr looks like a much faster Tee Higgins to me when I watch him on film. I definitely understand why you like McConkey though 
just the same. The WR I really like is actually Adonai Mitchell, great hands (even if they didn't show up at the combine) runs great routes 
a lot like your boy Ladd and is just a TD machine in the Red Zone.

How tall is McConkey anyways? I like the height of Thomas Jr, same as Tee at 6'4".

(03-28-2024, 04:36 PM)Synric Wrote: The Adam Thielen comparison for Ladd McConkey everyone uses is fair but I would go with Tyler Lockett myself. 

There yah go, Lockett. I could see that for sure when watching the two.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 01:46 PM)Synric Wrote: If Quinyon Mitchell is on the board he will be hard to pass up because he fits so well but I would hate seeing a CB in Round 1 just because 4 of the last 6 top 100 picks have been Defensive Backs.. eventually these picks have to play.

That's exactly my stance.

Teams cannot (or should not) continue to invest premium picks into the same position group just because their guys aren't panning out.
Those guys have to start stepping up.
Continually devoting picks into one position group is taking away picks from other position groups, and ultimately will or can result in the team getting worse over time.

The draft picks have to start playing well, and quickly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Meh, it is basically replacing Tuler Boyd.

But Tyler Boyd is still available.

Ignore the need of bolstering the trenches.

I prefer a world where Joe has excess time to make his reads, isn't getting mauled as soon as he is snapped the ball, or has a defense that stands up against the run.

Fun idea, but pass. Fix the trenches, then go looking for toys.
Reply/Quote
I'm not really down for using a 1st round pick on a slot WR. We can get guys later on for that role. If you want to sell me Brian Thomas, I would be more interesertd in that since he plays outside.

Either way, I'm hoping for IOL or DT.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 01:43 PM)Synric Wrote: I know people scream "there's a hole!!" but the draft is balancing holes with BPA. This draft class is stacked with OL and WR especially at the top so you can absolutely see the Bengals staying with the strength of the draft class targeting those positions early.

As to the OP: I'm a big Ladd McConkey fan and he does fit their mold for a slot guy but I expect the Bengals want to get Chase 15% to 20% more snaps in the slot (45% to 50% total). I wonder if a guy like Jermaine Burton will be higher on their board. 

Yikes. The names ur mentioning make me wanna vomit. Hard no on Lad great college player. Don’t see his game translating. With tee and chase on the team and a slot guy (mcconkey can play the slot but he ain’t a a slot guy) drafted early last year for this why are we reaching and rushing to run to the podium for lol lad mcconkey. We need trenches. OL and DL and Corner. Jermaine burton lol please god no.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2024, 11:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they really want to continue playing predictably and getting Burrow banged up from putting the OL in unfavorable situations, who am I to argue with league statistical averages? I do remember last season when the offense suddenly looked different, we read that those changes were things that they had been working on, but unable to implement while Burrow was slowed by the calf injury.

To my way of thinking, the decision to go a different direction with the offense has already been made. The quick promotion of Dan Pitcher is likely an indication that they are going to continue progressing upon the ground work that was laid last season.

Teams that were under center a greater percentage of the time last year actually had their QB's miss significant time with injury more than teams that were in shotgun the highest % of the time.  There is a lot of false causality regarding Burrow's injuries.  Last year, he had a soft tissue injury in TC that limited him, then was injured on a fairly standard play in which he was dealing with another preexisting soft tissue injury.

A game plan and/or success with it against a single opponent is not indicative of a philosophy change.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 08:09 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Yikes.  The names ur mentioning make me wanna vomit.  Hard no on Lad great college player.  Don’t see his game translating.  With tee and chase on the team and a slot guy (mcconkey can play the slot but he ain’t a a slot guy) drafted early last year for this why are we reaching and rushing to run to the podium for lol lad mcconkey.  We need trenches.  OL and DL and Corner.  Jermaine burton lol please god no.

If you're not good with Turner starting at CB, how in the world are you good with Jones starting at WR? And the 4th is not early, by any stretch.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 01:43 PM)Synric Wrote: I know people scream "there's a hole!!" but the draft is balancing holes with BPA. This draft class is stacked with OL and WR especially at the top so you can absolutely see the Bengals staying with the strength of the draft class targeting those positions early.

As to the OP: I'm a big Ladd McConkey fan and he does fit their mold for a slot guy but I expect the Bengals want to get Chase 15% to 20% more snaps in the slot (45% to 50% total). I wonder if a guy like Jermaine Burton will be higher on their board. 

Drafting for need only helps you if you hit on the pick, which is far less likely when you're narrowing your prospect pool based on your need.

A good/great player that's a luxury pick is always infinitely better than a bust or bench player at a position of need.
Reply/Quote