Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Lance McAllisters valid questions
In my opinion this was a well thought out piece written by Lance McAlister of 700 wlw about the Cincinnati Bengals  fan base. What was interesting to me is the different markets he has been in and covered, yet he claims this one is a bit different.

I guess the question is why? Why exactly do you (or I) react the way we do? Why can't we just enjoy what we have and save the "anger and venom" for if and when we are bounced from super bowl contention?

Just so everyone knows, I am not personally pointing my finger at you or anyone else. I just thought I would share what I thought was an interesting take on our fanbase.  

http://www.700wlw.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/question-of-the-day-whats-up-13945683/

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: In my opinion this was a well thought out piece written by Lance McAlister of 700 wlw about the Cincinnati Bengals  fan base. What was interesting to me is the different markets he has been in and covered, yet he claims this one is a bit different.

I guess the question is why? Why exactly do you (or I) react the way we do? Why can't we just enjoy what we have and save the "anger and venom" for if and when we are bounced from super bowl contention?

Just so everyone knows, I am not personally pointing my finger at you or anyone else. I just thought I would share what I thought was an interesting take on our fanbase.  

http://www.700wlw.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/question-of-the-day-whats-up-13945683/

As Ricky Bobby would say.
"If you're not first you're last."
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:43 PM)Thefinalcut813 Wrote: As Ricky Bobby would say.
"If you're not first you're last."

Wasn't Ricky Bobby a total moron?
Reply/Quote
I think the world should shut the hell up and leave Bengals fans alone, including Bengal fans who attack other Bengal fans in some kind of pissing contest over who has the biggest fanhood. Only a lifelong Clippers fan has proven more devotion than Bengals fans. We Don't owe shit to anybody.

There used to be a concept. It was called live and let live. Apparently, that went by the wayside. Now, lotsa people want to tell everyone how to think or react to anything and everything.

"You're not being the right kind of fan. You're doing it wrong because you're not doing it my way."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:27 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: In my opinion this was a well thought out piece written by Lance McAlister of 700 wlw about the Cincinnati Bengals  fan base. What was interesting to me is the different markets he has been in and covered, yet he claims this one is a bit different.

He has not lived in Pittsburgh or Kansas City, I have.. those fans get so upset over their team week to week it would put our fans to shame....
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:52 PM)McC Wrote: "You're not being the right kind of fan.  You're doing it wrong because you're not doing it my way."

Actually he mentioned that he had worked in the sports industry in many other cities.  He isn't asking why Bengal fans are not like him.  He is asking why they are not like any other city where he has worked.

Not surprised that this hit a nerve with you, though.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:53 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: He has not lived in Pittsburgh or Kansas City, I have.. those fans get so upset over their team week to week it would put our fans to shame....

Interesting.  From my experience with Steeler fans they seem to be pretty much the opposite of Bengal fans.  While many people here expect the worst from the Bengals the Steeler fans I know seem to always expect the best from their team.

Every fan base is critical when the team struggles, but some Bengal fans hate on the team even when it is winning.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting.  From my experience with Steeler fans they seem to be pretty much the opposite of Bengal fans.  While many people here expect the worst from the Bengals the Steeler fans I know seem to always expect the best from their team.

Every fan base is critical when the team struggles, but some Bengal fans hate on the team even when it is winning.

You must not know many Steelers fans.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting.  From my experience with Steeler fans they seem to be pretty much the opposite of Bengal fans.  While many people here expect the worst from the Bengals the Steeler fans I know seem to always expect the best from their team.

Steeler fans wake up with hate.. lived there 5 years.. KC 3 years... i just think he writing is a bunch of fluff.. we can see these fans in every city... in the end the majority of fans Bengals and other teams do not hate on a winning team.. lets just be honest and logical about it.
Reply/Quote
Fans come in many different shapes and sizes

Not everyone is the same
Reply/Quote
From the article:

"I've always thought most fan bases rally around teams, they don't dig in against them, at least when those teams were winning."

I don't understand where that comes from.  We have fans that want a new QB, and/or and new coach, and/or a new owner, but everybody here wants the Bengals to win.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 08:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: You must not know many Steelers fans.

I know a few.  They are more arrogant about the Steelers than they are critical.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy when the Bengals win, disappointed when they lose. We have never ended a season with a win, but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the success along the way. Still, the ultimate success eludes this team and I think a lot of Bengals fans can never be 100% satisfied until that happens.
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 08:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know a few.  They are more arrogant about the Steelers than they are critical.

Just saying that like our fan base, there are many, many different kinds of Steelers fans. It reminds me of our fans and most other teams too.

My one buddy thinks that every player on their practice squad and 3rd string is a "beast" just because he knows their name.

I see a lot of people around here overreact to every Ben incompletion on Sundays. You'd laugh if I named QBs that have had outcries to be starting over Ben by way too many people.

There are the guys that think they're personally the most badass human being alive because they root for a certain football team. Those are the Steelers fans that make me laugh more than anyone else. Also this falls in line with the fans that think they're so cool because they root for a team that won championships before they were even alive.

There are some guys that are really reasonable too about the Steelers and other teams around the league.

It's like any fan base really. There are some idiots, some really great people, and a lot in between.
Reply/Quote
He should have made a comparison to Randy Quaid's character in Major League 2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 08:59 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: I'm happy when the Bengals win, disappointed when they lose.  We have never ended a season with a win, but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the success along the way.  Still, the ultimate success eludes this team and I think a lot of Bengals fans can never be 100% satisfied until that happens.

Personally, I  don't think even a SB win would satisfy some of these fans.  There would still be complaining about ticket costs, indoor facilities, Mike Brown's wardrobe, the color of the seats at PBS, and any number of other perceived affronts to their fanhood.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually he mentioned that he had worked in the sports industry in many other cities.  He isn't asking why Bengal fans are not like him.  He is asking why they are not like any other city where he has worked.

Not surprised that this hit a nerve with you, though.

Didn't you make a thread just the other day about how both sides have valid points in the Marvin and Andy debates?

Which team do you think they play/coach for?

The truth is that the Bengals (and their fans) are in a very unique situation. Lance is an idiot if he doesn't understand why there's an undercurrent of negativity surrounding the Bengals right now.

He can say that he's never seen a fan base act this way over a winning team, but what other winning teams have gone 25 years without a playoff win? How many have gone 0-6 in the playoffs while doing so well in regular season?

The answer is none. The Bengals are the only team in NFL history to deal with these circumstances. So who is Lance (or anyone) to judge the fans on how they react to such unprecedented circumstances?

It is incredibly frustrating as a fan to watch a team show so much promise every year, only to completely flop in epic fashion each January. Anyone who doesn't understand that just doesn't WANT to understand.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's just the general culture of the internet to hate on everything.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 09:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Didn't you make a thread just the other day about how both sides have valid points in the Marvin and Andy debates?

Which team do you think they play/coach for?

The truth is that the Bengals (and their fans) are in a very unique situation. Lance is an idiot if he doesn't understand why there's an undercurrent of negativity surrounding the Bengals right now.

He can say that he's never seen a fan base act this way over a winning team, but what other winning teams have gone 25 years without a playoff win? How many have gone 0-6 in the playoffs while doing so well in regular season?

The answer is none. The Bengals are the only team in NFL history to deal with these circumstances. So who is Lance (or anyone) to judge the fans on how they react to such unprecedented circumstances?

It is incredibly frustrating as a fan to watch a team show so much promise every year, only to completely flop in epic fashion each January. Anyone who doesn't understand that just doesn't WANT to understand.
Well stated!
It is the frustration that comes with that French word that means "has not done shit yet" - potential. 

If you have playoff win potential and do not win in the playoffs...the season in total is a failure regardless of your regular season record. Case in point...would you rather get into the playoffs with and 8-8 record and (we will use just our current benchmark) win a playoff game or go 14-2 and not get a playoff win?

It seems to me to be an easy answer but I think there are many who would take the better regular season record. I think those people have low competitive drive but hey to each their own. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wasn't Ricky Bobby a total moron?

Ricky Bobby was a made up character that has very good quotes. That is all!
Reply/Quote